Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive Issues

Options
  • 16-12-2014 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys

Will the main board of an external hard drive work with with any hard drive so long as they are both SATA or IDE?

The reason I ask is that I have two external hard drives and one is playing up. Both hard drives are SATA. I use one for movies and one for TV shows. The movies one is a 2TB WD that works fine. My TV shows one is a 4TB Seagate drive that is pretty much dead. I have tried using the board from the movies one with the TV shows hard drive but no luck. The light comes on but it won't show up on my computer. I have tried the board from the TV shows with the movies hard drive and doesn't work. Which makes me think that both the actual hard drive and the board are broken.

Would I need to get a replacement board or should any compatible board work?

Many thanks

Chris

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the board that works is USB 2.0 and the one which is broken is USB 3.0. I actually had the drive working for about a minute but it involved me having to hold the board and cable in a certain way. It gives me hope that it's just a problem with the board as the contents of the drive showed up on screen. A new external enclosure may solve the trick. As I said I tried with already but it was a 2.0 enclosure and board so maybe this was the problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

2TB WB (M)
    4TB Seagate (T)

Do you have a PC you can try the 4TB Seagate (T) drive in?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭0141607

BostonB wrote: »
    2TB WB (M)
    4TB Seagate (T)

Do you have a PC you can try the 4TB Seagate (T) drive in?

Thanks for your reply. I actually meant to post up that it was an issue with the board in the enclosure. Tested it with the exact same enclosure my brother had and it worked fine. Thanks again

Advertisement