Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 - Networking Problem

Options
  • 16-12-2014 11:27pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a number of pcs and laptops in the house. My main PC I use as my file storage for everything. It's running Windows 10 and works great. I have a few other laptops and they connect to the network and pick up the shared folders on the network - works fine. However Yesterday I reinstalled one of the laptops and also put Windows 10 on it. Install went fine but it did not pick up the network for some reason. they are both conencted to the same wireless network but the PC is wired in by cable.

I tried to join the homegroup but it only gave me the option to set up its own homegroup. It was not seeing the existing one that my PC has and the other laptops connect to fine.

I messed around with the troubleshooter, tired everything I can think of, and eventually it appeared. However today I go back in and I'm back to square one. It cannot see a network or a homegroup.

Can anyone recommend how I can go about trying to fix this please?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wouldn't use a homegroup, I find them hit and miss. Make sure all PCs have network discovery turned on. And all have file and printer sharing on but password protected sharing off (all in control panel -> network and sharing -> advanced sharing)

I had some issues myself connecting a few PCs (mix of Windows 8.1 and 10). I found fixed IP addresses seemed more stable (might be because I use a combo of the UPC Horizon box as my main DHCP router (plus wifi) and an unmanaged switch on the network too and also a wifi extender plugged into that switch)

Also, do use accounts on all PCs with passwords, iirc you need that for remote desktop (which is handy for quick troubleshooting if your PCs are all over the gaff)

Let us know how you're getting on!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So last night I fiddled around a but more and got it working, but it was slow. I'd click on Network and it would take froever, I'd close it and open again and it would work. Strange.

Ok thanks for the above. So do I go in and leave the homegroup on all my pc's? Then set static IP's on my PC's? Will it then just work in the "Network" part and I'll see all my pc's?

Sorry what do you mean by using "accounts on all PCs with passwords"? Desktop remote would be very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You need all the computers to use the same workgroup. You just set your own name for the workgroup and use it on each device.

Advertisement