Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New tv advice

• 17-12-2014 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi guys. First post here so forgive me if its in the wrong thread :)

Im in the market for a new tv and also considering one of those smart box's / android box's that seem to be popular at the moment. This will be used as a second tv as opposed to the main tv i currently have and will be used for my own personal use mainly for watching sports and movies :) I have a few questions however if you guys wouldnt mind helping me with :)

1, Do any of you guys have a smart box/ android box and would you recommend them, whats the picture quality like etc ?
    2, My understanding is that i do NOT need a smart tv if i have a smart box so is it best to NOT buy a smart tv . Perhaps opting for a tv without that feature could save me some money or potentially the same amount of money might buy me a better tv if i find one without the features i wont use?
    3, Any advice on where to buy a tv from? I have noticed one tv being sold in argos for less then it is in harvey norman and another tv more expensive in argos then in harvey norman so prices etc seem to vary unbelievably! (i plan on buying a 47inch with a budget of 600 if that helps)
    4,Im currently with upc and we have a second point installed for a second tv. In order to receive upc on the tv. Can i just request a second box from them and hook it up easily by plugging the cable from the second point into the box or is it more complicated then that?

Cheers for any help/advice thats given guys :) Hope ye all have a good christmas ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

I'd also suggest PowerCity if there is one near you, they may even knock a few quid extra off if you ask them. Argos do have great clearance deals though.

Re UPC, yes plug, play & pay.

Re TV; yoi! It all depends on budget, you could get a basic HD ready 100hz Samsung 48" series 4 TV and Chromecast for 470 quid in Argos so that's a good benchmark, upwards of that gets you full HD, higher motion rates, smart features, 3D, 4k etc etc etc. I'd suggest that for your 600 you'll end up with a TV that has Smart features by default.

Re the android TV etc, depends what you want out of it, higher spec TV's generally come with smart features as standard to justify the extra expense and these do a lot of what you'll want; Argos has an LG or Samsung 47/48 for 550, both have fairly decent smart features. I think the Samsung one even has Plex streaming. Failing that a Chromecast gives basic streaming options and access to Google play movies, cast you tube, Netflix, Plex, etc etc for 40 quid. Apple TV gives access to iTunes Store, etc etc for a fair bit more.

When you find a TV / box you like do some online research, Google the code and check out the reviews. These can be quite informative, don't make a rash decision; 600 quid is a nice chunk of cash and should get you all you need.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

Cheers man.Im gonna try find a tv WITHOUT smart features simply because i intend to buy a smart box that will offer me more then the smart features on a tv and why pay extra for smart features when i wont use them as ill have a smart box! I can hopefully find a tv of better quality for the same price if i do without smart features. The trouble is.... every fecking tv seems to be a smart tv haha

Thanks for your reply though ;-)

Advertisement