Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full hd worth it?

• 17-12-2014 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Im in the market for a tv, Id like to invest in a good quality tv as i watch it quite a bit. The full hd tv seems to be alot more expensive. Can you notice much of a difference between the hd ready and full 1080p?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Yes. I didn't even think many 720p TVs were still being sold and 1080p TVs are even beginning to head towards inadequacy with the progression of 4k and UHD (Ultra HD).

If you haven't owned a HD TV before and upgrade to a top of the line one and watch a decent bluray on it you'll be amazed at what you've been missing out on. If it's live TV you mostly watch though then a 720p TV would do because 'HD TV' channels are only 720p anyway, for the time being at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Yes. I didn't even think many 720p TVs were still being sold and 1080p TVs are even beginning to head towards inadequacy with the progression of 4k and UHD (Ultra HD).

If you haven't owned a HD TV before and upgrade to a top of the line one and watch a decent bluray on it you'll be amazed at what you've been missing out on. If it's live TV you mostly watch though then a 720p TV would do because 'HD TV' channels are only 720p anyway, for the time being at least.

So its basically only useful for Blu-ray movies. Im suprised you say about u didn't think many 720ps were still being sold its mostly what im seen in all the stores in for the 32" and under region

So its basically only useful for Blu-ray movies. Im suprised you say about u didn't think many 720ps were still being sold its mostly what im seen in all the stores in for the 32" and under region

It's best when it's playing blurays because they'll be full 1080p but I use a 55" and watch a lot of boxsets and even though they're 720p they still look very good. If you can budget for a bigger one, even like 37"-42" with full HD I'd really suggest going for it since you'll be using it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

It's best when it's playing blurays because they'll be full 1080p but I use a 55" and watch a lot of boxsets and even though they're 720p they still look very good. If you can budget for a bigger one, even like 37"-42" with full HD I'd really suggest going for it since you'll be using it a lot.

Yeah its only a bedroom tv which will be 32" max so ill see. But these 4k tvs how can you experience all the extra picture quality if 1080p is tge dvd bluray television limit?

Yeah its only a bedroom tv which will be 32" max so ill see. But these 4k tvs how can you experience all the extra picture quality if 1080p is tge dvd bluray television limit?

You can watch 4k content on Netflix and there are some bluray movies that are upscaled to 4k. 4k content is really lacking at the moment though, it'll take a few years for HDMI 2.0 and a new bluray disc to both be available and that's when actual 4k content will become more available. For now, the real best option is getting a high end 1080p plasma or OLED for anyone who has the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Not according to the HD channels I am receiving!
    RTE1, RTE2, BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, UTV/ITV, Channel 4 ....

@spongebob89

I bought a 720 TV for the bedroom - a 32"
    If it was going to be larger - say 37" - then I would have gone for a 1080

The pic on the 32" is as good as makes little difference at that size.
    Yes if you closely examine the picture you can see the difference, but it is not noticeable, to me at least, at the usual viewing distance, on the 32".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

[QUOTE= If it's live TV you mostly watch though then a 720p TV would do because 'HD TV' channels are only 720p anyway, for the time being at least.[/QUOTE]

All HD channels on both UPC and Sky are in 1080i, not 720P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Special effects movies on blue ray are amazing on hd as well as football, the rest m'eh.

highdef wrote: »
    All HD channels on both UPC and Sky are in 1080i, not 720P

With sky you can change between 720p and 1080i, 720p being the slightly better option in my experience.

With sky you can change between 720p and 1080i, 720p being the slightly better option in my experience.

What the set top box outputs is irrelevant ...... the HD channels are broadcast in full HD - 1080 - so the STB receives the channel in 1080.

Most definitely the 1080 picture is much better than the 720 on a large capable TV, regardless your personal experience.

• Advertisement

What the set top box outputs is irrelevant ...... the HD channels are broadcast in full HD - 1080 - so the STB receives the channel in 1080.

Most definitely the 1080 picture is much better than the 720 on a large capable TV, regardless your personal experience.

Are you talking about 1080p or 1080i? 1080p is full HD, 1080i is not. 1080p is much better than 720p, but 1080i is not.

Only checked one of the channels you listed also, RTE 2 HD, because I'm sure the rest are the same and it broadcasts in 1080i, not Full HD

Are you talking about 1080p or 1080i? 1080p is full HD, 1080i is not. 1080p is much better than 720p, but 1080i is not.

Only checked one of the channels you listed also, RTE 2 HD, because I'm sure the rest are the same and it broadcasts in 1080i, not Full HD

Well we seem to have at least got past the statement that
    'HD TV' channels are only 720p anyway

On the matter of 1080i or 1080p ..... would you care to point to any broadcast that is 1080p?
    It is not done, as far as I am aware.

1080i is Full HD broadcast TV.

Well we seem to have at least got past the statement that

On the matter of 1080i or 1080p ..... would you care to point to any broadcast that is 1080p?
    It is not done, as far as I am aware.

1080i is Full HD broadcast TV.

Full HD/1080p isn't done on any channels in Ireland or UK, which is what I thought you were saying as you didn't clarify if it was 1080p or 1080i. Can you explain how 1080i is full HD?

Full HD/1080p isn't done on any channels in Ireland or UK, which is what I thought you were saying as you didn't clarify if it was 1080p or 1080i. Can you explain how 1080i is full HD?

Maybe you would explain why you think 720 is a higher (or equal) resolution to 1080?

.... and remember we are addressing broadcast signals in this thread!

Advertisement