Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking with kids?

• 17-12-2014 3:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, not sure this is the right place but I work in a school and they asked me to show the kids how to bake. They're between 2-6 years old.

Has anyone got any ideas for either cookies or cupcakes that are easy and not a lot of ingredients that will impress?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

rice crispy ckes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

braddun wrote: »
    rice crispy ckes

Good idea but was looking for something a little more complicated, I can make the mix, I'm gonna look up a dry dough cookie recipe and let the kids cut Christmas shapes.

Or if anyone else has another good idea please share.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Make fairy cakes and let them decorate them, maybe? I don't have a recipe to hand for a cookie dough that you can cut shapes out of, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Nigella's cut out cookie recipe is brilliant. They taste good and are easy to work with.
    175 grams soft unsalted butter
    200 grams caster sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    400 grams plain flour - preferably Italian 00 (plus more if needed)
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    300 grams icing sugar (sieved)
    food colouring

You will need biscuit cutters and two baking sheets, greased or lined. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4/350ºF. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and moving towards moussiness, then beat in the eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter and eggs, and mix gently but surely. If you think the finished mixture is too sticky to be rolled out, add more flour, but do so sparingly as too much will make the dough tough. Halve the dough, form into fat discs, wrap each half in clingfilm and rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Sprinkle a suitable surface with flour, place a disc of dough on it (not taking out the other half until you’ve finished with the first) and sprinkle a little more flour on top of that. Then roll it out to a thickness of about ½ cm / ¼ inch. Cut into shapes, dipping the cutter into flour as you go, and place the biscuits a little apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 8–12 minutes, by which time they will be lightly golden around the edges. Cool on a rack and continue with the rest of the dough. When they’re all fully cooled, you can get on with the icing. Put a couple of tablespoons of just-not-boiling water into a large bowl, add the sieved icing sugar and mix together, adding more water as you need to form a thick paste. Colour as desired: let the artistic spirit within you speak, remembering with gratitude that children have very bad taste. - See more at: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/butter-cut-out-cookies#sthash.Ndrby1jZ.dpuf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

braddun wrote: »
    rice crispy cakes

That's not even baking, it's just melting and mixing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement