Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christening

Options
  • 17-12-2014 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

What's involved in organising? We are blow ins to out town and don't know any priests here. If up to me alone I wouldn't have one but it's important to my partner and his family. Can we rock down to one of the churches? What if we were to ask a priest in the family? Can we book a church and bring our own priest? There are 2 churches in town. Do we pay for the church/the priest?

RE. Food after - I haven't priced anywhere yet. I would like to have in the house but it is way too small for about 30 adults and 10 kids. This is immediate family only! What can we expect to fork out for a lunch out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, just speak to a priest after mass some day about it. Some churches don't mind you using the church with another priest. Or they might suggest that both the family priest and the parish priest are there together.

Food afterwards is whatever you feel like. Anything goes. You don't have to do anything, but I love a party for a new baby! You could ring a few places like hotels and ask them prices for some platters of sandwiches and tea/coffee in one of their rooms. Or do something more formal like a sit-down lunch in a restaurant. Or sausages and finger food in the local pub. Whatever you like! We had a BBQ in our back garden for our last christening. Was lovely.

On paying for the priest... It depends. First church we used was all about the cash. Suggested donations etc. They are bloody cheeky there though, they post out boxes of dated dues envelopes as well. Second church we used had no donation policy and the priest refused the donation I tried to give him, but came over for the sandwiches alright when invited.

Advertisement