Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capital One Cup QF: AFC Bournemouth vs Liverpool; 19:45; Sky

• 17-12-2014 5:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oddly massive fixture given recent events. A loss here could put Rodgers in a hole he can't come out of.

Bournemouth are on an unbeaten run of 12 matches in which they've scored 32 goals and risen to the top of the Championship. By contrast, Liverpool's form in their last 10 is W2D3L5 with GF9 GA14 - an abysmal run of form that has seen the club suffer CL elimination and slip out of the reckoning for a top four spot in the league.

Rumoured Liverpool team news:

http://twitter.com/DamianLFCpl/status/544989434845085696
    http://twitter.com/DamianLFCpl/status/544991344624930816

:o

Odds per oddschecker:

Bournemouth 29 / 10
    Draw 14 / 5
    Liverpool 21 / 20

I'm really hoping this thread ends up a routine and forgettable ~300 post deal and not an era bookending type deal. With Sheffield Utd in the hat for the semi finals this is in theory a great chance of silverware. We shall see...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Really is a must win game. Not at all confident however.,hopefully Bournemouth don't take it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Oh, the foreboding!

Lets kick their arse! I'd like a youth player in the squad, preferably to start. I'd like an Illori or something.

The gambler in me is thinking goal for Balotelli and 2-0 @ 33/1. The gambler doesnt make a lot of money though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Oh, the foreboding!

Lets kick their arse! I'd like a youth player in the squad, preferably to start. I'd like an Illori or something.

The gambler in me is thinking goal for Balotelli and 2-0 @ 33/1. The gambler doesnt make a lot of money though.

Those are shocking odds for a striker who has barely scored at all this season and for a team in a slump.....not to mention the idea of Liverpool keeping a clean sheet against a high scoring team is fanciful.

I wouldn't touch that bet with a bargepole.

Yeah, betting on Liverpool is always a bad idea for me... I'm not exactly objective with it.

I guess subconsciously im like 'if I win the bet, itll be a great day all round: win and a few beans'!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Oh, the foreboding!

Is Illori not on loan?
    Kirby wrote: »
    Those are shocking odds for a striker who has barely scored at all this season and for a team in a slump.....not to mention the idea of Liverpool keeping a clean sheet against a high scoring team is fanciful.

I wouldn't touch that bet with a bargepole.

I agree terrible odds, especially when one considers that he is injured and won't be playing tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

My brother, a Pool fan, just said to me that "no manager should be in trouble for losing a LC game, especially not with Arsenal at the weekend".

He reckons playing that many first teamers is too much of a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I wounder whether the temptation of silverware though would push Rodgers to go for it. Would a League Cup win save his skin (into the start of next season) along with say a 6th place finish?

My brother, a Pool fan, just said to me that "no manager should be in trouble for losing a LC game, especially not with Arsenal at the weekend".

A lose to a championship level side, albeit one that's flying it at the moment, would be detrimental to the teams all ready low confidence.
    4th is unlikely at this stage, so silverware is needed to at least compensation slightly.
    Also they are within touching distant of a final, so Rodgers would be mad not to risk it for the biscuit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

1-4. Sterling, Lallana, Markovich x2.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I really never get this type of thinking, especially when the team is in a slump. Every match is important, especially given that it might be our best route into any type of European football next season, which I'm very much in favour of, even Europa League.

As with all games since September, I really fear the worst for this game. If Bournemouth press and show real desire to win this game, at best I see it being a draw for Liverpool, squeaking through on pens or a probably undeserved extra time winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Really fear for Liverpool I know the gap should be too much. But their at their lowest confidence wise for years and Bournemouth confidence will be sky high. Bournemouth win for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I wounder whether the temptation of silverware though would push Rodgers to go for it. Would a League Cup win save his skin (into the start of next season) along with say a 6th place finish?

I think that might just about sneak Rodgers through to next season.
    A strong 2nd half coupled with a weak 1st half to the season gives him a better chance of staying manager of Liverpool rathet than a strong 1st half but then failing away in the 2nd half.

Then again, the way its going they could be in line for a s*ite 1st half to season followed by more of the same after Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Higher league finishes bring in much more money than the capital one cup so rest players would be the financially better option.

But Rodgers needs this for his CV and is under immense pressure.

He has to play his strongest formation most inform team and no crazy tactics like he tried at united, resting only 1 or 2

Mig
    Fit right back
    Toure
    Skertle
    Fit left back

Lucas
    Henderson
    Lalana if fit, if not Gerard
    Coutinho
    Sterling or markovic
    Fit striker

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Higher league finishes bring in much more money than the capital one cup so rest players would be the financially better option.

But Rodgers needs this for his CV and is under immense pressure.

Teams needs a win and a good performance as well. All out to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ojo has been pulling up trees for the kids, given our mis-firing attack, I would definitely have him on the bench for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

What ever about Rodgers the players need to up their game as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He's entitled to his opinion alright!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This has extra time written all over it. I hope Sterling takes a dive and a peno wins it! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

jaykay74 wrote: »
    It probably would when it's added to the FA cup win and Europa league win with qualification for next years CL.

Just sayin', like...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

5live wrote: »
    It probably would when it's added to the FA cup win and Europa league win with qualification for next years CL.

Just sayin', like...

Sure could happen.

League Cup 4/1
    Top 6 8/13
    F.A cup 10/1
    EL 11/1

• Advertisement

God, bit hammered last night. Thank god I didnt actually place any bets... And had totally forgot about Brad Jones. Brad Jones. He's good to concede at least 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Should be a straightforward win, but there is always the chance that Bournemouth rest some players and give us a chance.

Laugh or cry at this stage.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He's entitled to his opinion alright!!

2 losses and it will be very hot in the kitchen.

2 losses and it will be very hot in the kitchen.

Well, if we lost tonight and tomorrow that would be 8 losses in 13 games. I don't think you can (or should) survive that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Bournemouth scoring 3 a game in their last 11 apparently, but that was against championship defences

Liverpool's defence is more like Sunday B league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Bournemouth scoring 3 a game in their last 11 apparently, but that was against championship defences

Liverpool's defence is more like Sunday B league

Easily checked - not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

I'm really hoping this thread ends up a routine and forgettable ~300 post deal and not an era bookending type deal. With Sheffield Utd in the hat for the semi finals this is in theory a great chance of silverware. We shall see...

Call.

Call.

?

?

Obviously playing the Lyrics board.
    I'm going for call on me by A Ha.

Could be call me maybe by Carly Rae Jespen though

• Advertisement

I called your bluff, I think you would sacrifice the League Cup if it meant BR would get the bullet soon. You will of course deny this and lots of posters will tell me I'm full of it but still that's what I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I called your bluff, I think you would sacrifice the League Cup if it meant BR would get the bullet soon. You will of course deny this and lots of posters will tell me I'm full of it but still that's what I believe.

What bluff? :confused:

kfallon wrote: »
    What bluff? confused.png
    I'm really hoping this thread ends up a routine and forgettable ~300 post deal and not an era bookending type deal.

That one.

Yikes, few enough on here would have been as excited as I was with our last League Cup win!!

Yikes, few enough on here would have been as excited as I was with our last League Cup win!!

Yes, but that was under King Kenny not the 'Dickhead Manager' we have at the moment.

Yes, but that was under King Kenny not the 'Dickhead Manager' we have at the moment.

If Roy Hodgson himself was bringing trophies to Anfield I'd be delighted!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

After watching the highlights of Bournemouth's game on the weekend, 125-1 for a 4-3 win for them are very generous odds.

I'd never bet against my own club though, even though it would be a wise investment this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Jones, Toure, Skrtel, Lovren, Henderson, Gerrard, Coutinho, Lallana, Lucas, Sterling, Markovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

martyos121 wrote: »
    After watching the highlights of Bournemouth's game on the weekend, 125-1 for a 4-3 win for them are very generous odds.

I'd never bet against my own club though, even though it would be a wise investment this season.

Not a hope LFC will score three goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Borini on the subs bench.
    Confirmed #LFC subs v @afcbournemouth: Mignolet, Lambert, Sakho, Moreno, Manquillo, Can, Borini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

pfmKhjB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Struggle to defend so we put our attacking winger as wing back against the most attacking team in the Championship.

Lallana in Allen's position as left wing back and Henderson as right wing back I guess.
    Lucas and Gerrard in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If Rodgers had any sense, he wouldn't have even named Sakho or Borini on the bench. He clearly has no intention of using them, so why shouldn't he let people think they're injured? Not fooling anyone, his man management skills are disgraceful for such a big club.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Looks like a 3-7-0 formation

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Can and Borini may as well just leave.

The manager is being ridiculous with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

So we're playing the tried and trusted 3-7-0 formation tonight...

This will end well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lallana at LWB? Jesus he's being wasted. Really good player.

Why splash the cash on Can and then play him on the bench? Gerrard shouldnt play every game, we know that. Surely Can should start. No recognised LB or RB in there.

Jones. Eek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Groan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Can failing his philosophy class?

• Advertisement
Advertisement