Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Itunes on new iphone and macbook

• 17-12-2014 8:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭

Hi I recently got an iphone and I cannot get itunes on it at all when i connect it to my macbook..

It wil charge the phone through the usb but it does not come up at all when i open itunes!

There is no sign of "devices" at all..

I have done all the updates.

I had an ipod touch before and i could connect it to the macbook and transfer music with no problem.

any ideas?

Its an iphone 4s and the macbook is OS X 10.6.8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

What software is the iPhone running? Have a look in Settings > General > About.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Is the phone locked with a PIN or a passcode ? If so, unlock it (so you can see your apps) check again in itunes on the Mac.

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭sporina

hi folks

I have been told that I should uninstall and then reinstall itunes on my macbook - and that that should resolve the problem.
    I am dubious about doing this as I am afraid that I will loose my music etc.
    For those of you in the know, is there any risks of anything nasty happening to my music or anything if I do what I have been advised?

thanks S

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What version of iOS and what version of iTunes are you using?

What version of iOS and what version of iTunes are you using?

OSX 10.6.8 and itunes 10.5 - why? oh and iphone 4s by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

sporina wrote: »
    OSX 10.6.8 and itunes 10.5 - why? oh and iphone 4s by the way

What iOS is the phone running though? Find this in settings - general - about and look for the 'version'

Aeternum wrote: »
    What iOS is the phone running though? Find this in settings - general - about and look for the 'version'

8.1.2 ?

You just need to update iTunes, I think. I don't think you need to uninstall it first, and no, it won't erase your music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Yep, iTunes version needs to be 11.8 or later for iOS8.

i have tried to update my itunes to the new version - 12.0 but it does not change from 10.5.

I keep getting a message saying that "itunes cannot identify the server"?
    This has been coming up for ages but i have always ignored it as I have not had any other problems with itunes - I buy lots of stuff in the store etc.

Would this be the reason why I cannot connect my iphone or update to the new version?

• Advertisement

iTunes doesn't support the version of the software on your phone, that's why you can't connect it. Head over to Apple.com/iTunes and download it from there.

Zcott wrote: »
    iTunes doesn't support the version of the software on your phone, that's why you can't connect it. Head over to Apple.com/iTunes and download it from there.

huh? my mates connected my phone to his samsung laptop and his itunes registered my phone on itunes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

huh? my mates connected my phone to his samsung laptop and his itunes registered my phone on itunes..
    hes saying the version of iTunes on YOUR machine is to out of date.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    hes saying the version of iTunes on YOUR machine is to out of date.

oh ok - but as i said about when i check software update it says there is itunes 12.0 - but when i try to install it - 10.5 remains?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

oh ok - but as i said about when i check software update it says there is itunes 12.0 - but when i try to install it - 10.5 remains?

go to apple.com and download it from there as has been suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

iTunes 12 requires Mac OS 10.7.5 according to Apple.

With the phone connected to the computer click About This Mac in the apple menu and in there you will find all the devices connected to your Mac in the System Report tab. Check under USB to see if your phone is listed.

Looks like you're going to need to update OS X to a more recent version.

Ken

ok - so i have it sorted..

I updated to itunes 11.4 on my macbook - it recognises my iphone and i now have an ipod…

BUT…

this new itunes 11.4?? Is there no radio?
    And also, I cannot see how I can play music from my laptop through remote speakers - which I have connected thought a router - I could do this with the previous version of itunes,.. can anyone advise?

Advertisement