Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on solid fuel burning stove

• 17-12-2014 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking to get one for a kitchen/living room of 10 * 16 feet.
    No need for a back boiler.
    Will only be in house for 18 months.
    Old cottage with 1 inch platinum insulation inside mass concrete walls, about 8 inches of something in rafters and minimal floor insulation.

Would this be adequate enough for that size room:
    The Junior Cottage

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Broken link. Maybe give the name of the stove and people can search the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭rodge123

Broken link. Maybe give the name of the stove and people can search the site?

Sorry about that. Fixed the link.

Looks great for under €200:
    Product Description
    The Junior Cottage is an attractive cast iorn stove and the smaller version of the Cottage stove. This medium sized stove is enough to heat any middle to large sized room. It boasts:
    Powerful airwash system for cleaner glass
    Attractive brass handles
    Optional top or rear flute outlet
    Ability to burn either wood or solid fuel
    Product Specification:
    Height: 53.5 cm/21.1″
    Width: 37.5cm/14.8″
    Depth: 32cm/12.6″
    Weight: 57kg
    Heat Output 4kw
    Flue Size: 13cm/5″

Stanley have a stove chooser on their site -

http://www.waterfordstanley.com/stanley-stoves/stove-chooser/

which will give you a rough idea. Their popular Oisin stove is dearer (€600) but much loved, and put together in Ireland from Chinese-made parts, I think. You'll often find stoves cheaper in the Co-Op - here's the Oisin €100 cheaper https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel-Stoves/Stanley-Stoves/Stanley-Oisin-Solid-Fuel-Stove-6kw-0599055

Looks great for under €200:

Stanley have a stove chooser on their site -

http://www.waterfordstanley.com/stanley-stoves/stove-chooser/

which will give you a rough idea. Their popular Oisin stove is dearer (€600) but much loved, and put together in Ireland from Chinese-made parts, I think. You'll often find stoves cheaper in the Co-Op - here's the Oisin €100 cheaper https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel-Stoves/Stanley-Stoves/Stanley-Oisin-Solid-Fuel-Stove-6kw-0599055

Thanks Mark.

That's a very useful link. It's giving me a 3.3kW heat output requirement based on:
    -Room Heater
    -10x16x8 (WxDxH).
    -Low insulation

Hold off a little while, though. I'm a stove user. There are people who post here who are professionals.
    Is there any way of adding a little insulation, for instance at the ceiling? And recently when we had a couple of years with no central heating, curtains on our huge windows - curtains lined with blackout-level insulating curtain lining - made quite a difference on cold winter nights.

Incidentally, make sure you instal this properly. I had a handyman friend instal a stove in an artisan cottage where I used to live. It gave off fumes. The stove here was installed by professionals who put in a steel flexible flue and insulated it with vermiculite, and fume-proofed the chimney completely. Not a fume to be smelt, and the carbon monoxide alarm is silent.

You don't want to become a carbon monoxide death statistic.

• Advertisement

Hold off a little while, though. I'm a stove user. There are people who post here who are professionals.
    Is there any way of adding a little insulation, for instance at the ceiling? And recently when we had a couple of years with no central heating, curtains on our huge windows - curtains lined with blackout-level insulating curtain lining - made quite a difference on cold winter nights.

Incidentally, make sure you instal this properly. I had a handyman friend instal a stove in an artisan cottage where I used to live. It gave off fumes. The stove here was installed by professionals who put in a steel flexible flue and insulated it with vermiculite, and fume-proofed the chimney completely. Not a fume to be smelt, and the carbon monoxide alarm is silent.

You don't want to become a carbon monoxide death statistic.

Yeah we are currently putting 1 inch insulated plasterboard on all external facing walls.
    Am also going to put 6 inch earthwool or similar insulation between rafters.

House already has a steel flue with chimney backfilled with sand. We are getting rid of existing oil burning stove, don't want hassle of dealing with oil and the tank has a hole in it anyway.
    Will make sure it's installed correctly and definitely getting a carbon monoxide alarm.

Advertisement