Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing a credit union cheque in the credit union for non member

Options
  • 17-12-2014 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭

I will be geting paid a cheque next Tuesday which I'm led to believe is a credit union cheque. If I was to go into this particular credit union and try to get it cashed there and then would they do it? I'm not a member of this particular CU but I was thinking if it was there cheque it wouldn't be an issue.

Can anybody advise?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

A CU is not a bank, so a "CU cheque" can only mean a cheque drawn by the CU. The general pattern is that each CU has an account in a bank, usually one conveniently close. You can take the cheque there and get it cashed provided that you bring good identification with you.

It could be slightly more bothersome if the cheque is crossed, so if you have any say in the matter, ask for an uncrossed cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

I see. That's great. Thanks for the info. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Ask the CU do they have any friendly places that cash their cheques. My local one sends people to me for this purpose.

I welcome them as they reduce my bank charges and the chq clears same day as its drawn from my branch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

Ask the CU do they have any friendly places that cash their cheques. My local one sends people to me for this purpose.

I welcome them as they reduce my bank charges and the chq clears same day as its drawn from my branch!

Would there be a limit on what these places might cash? It's a 4 figure sum.

Would that be an issue? Or is it an issue with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

In my case, I dont care. If I lodge cash it costs me money, but a cheque from MY LOCAL credit union, which shares my branch, saves me money. It clears on the spot as their account is held there as well.

Quietly ask YOUR credit union if they can recommend someone local.

• Advertisement
Advertisement