Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Adwords - Cost per Click?

Options
  • 17-12-2014 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hope some one can steer me in the right direction.
    I am new to Google Adwords. I have chosen the keywords I want to use in my ads and traffic estimates for them in the geographical locations I am targetting.
    How do I know how much each click will cost me to see if the ads are worth running?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You probably want to look at the "Google display planner"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Blacknight wrote: »
    You probably want to look at the "Google display planner"

OK, you wont! You'll be able to specify the Max CPC you're willing to pay (the most per click). It will then show you what traffic it would estimate that keyword would yield at a certain bit estimate.

But then when it comes to the auction that may vary based on your quality score etc.

So the best you can do, not being in the live world is set a Max CPC and see what traffic estimates that would get.

Hope I am not stating the obvious but two things contribute to whether the ads are worth running: the cost and the benefits!

You need to get clarity around which ads are working and which are not. Sometimes it's worth spending a lot of money on clicks but in other cases any money at all is a waste. If you are a fully digital business that's easy to do, if you aren't it can be a little trickier but possible. So the real answer to your question is to run them and see if benefit > cost.

Lastly again hoping I am not being obvious but you need to be on negative keywords like a hawk as they will kill your ROI on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Thanks for the help and the pointers, but I am still a bit confused about the process :o
    I have used the keyword planner to pick the keywords I think are relevant and which appear to have a decent amount of searches. I still cannot find the suggested bid for these keywords (they just appear as dashes). How does upping the CPC impact on the yield if there are only so many average searches? Or does this impact on the ad position?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Keyword Planner>Search for new keyword and ad group ideas

Put in your keyword and set your parameters like location

Click on "get ideas"

I table should appear on the RHS - and on of the cols would be 'suggested bid' - if there's a dash then there is no suggested bid for that keyword - for a variety of reasons - not enough volume or bid history.

The dashes would suggest that the keywords are not going to yield massive volume.

If you want to PM me a keyword or two - i'll look at them and give you a pointer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 jackluter

If you search in google adwords detailed you come to know the correct way to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jackluter

If you search in google adwords detail information from search help you come to know the correct way to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

cue wrote: »
    How do I know how much each click will cost me to see if the ads are worth running?

Hi Cue,

If you call Google on +353 1800 812 558 they will be happy to talk you through anything you want to know. They will appoint you a 'strategist' who will monitor your account and help/advise.

I spend around €600/month on Adwords now and I find it well worth it but it's a minefield! A small change here or there can cost you dearly.

There are options to add columns that will give you information on each keyword like EST TOP OF PAGE BID, etc...
    adwords.jpg

Reviewing your keywords and the actual phrases that people used to trigger your ad is VERY important! Google will show you how to do this and show you how to add negative keywords and phrases that have been costing you money but are totally irrelevant to your business.

Start small and build from there when you know what's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 3sixty

cue wrote: »
    Thanks for the help and the pointers, but I am still a bit confused about the process :o
    I have used the keyword planner to pick the keywords I think are relevant and which appear to have a decent amount of searches. I still cannot find the suggested bid for these keywords (they just appear as dashes). How does upping the CPC impact on the yield if there are only so many average searches? Or does this impact on the ad position?

If you are seeing dashes this means Google does not have enough data on those keywords. It sounds like you need to do further keyword research here.

Advertisement