Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 update issue

• 17-12-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

I just turned on a laptop that I've had a while for the first time. Tried scanning for updates, but it failed the first time around.

It showed that windows update itself needed to update, and that downloaded and installed fine.

Windows update is now showing 128 updates and has been stuck at 0KB total, 0% complete for the best part of an hour now. The Software Distribution folder is showing signs of activity, and the download folder has increased in size to about 5gb.

Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭homer911

Not exactly normal, but not unknown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I just turned on a laptop that I've had a while for the first time. Tried scanning for updates, but it failed the first time around.

It showed that windows update itself needed to update, and that downloaded and installed fine.

Windows update is now showing 128 updates and has been stuck at 0KB total, 0% complete for the best part of an hour now. The Software Distribution folder is showing signs of activity, and the download folder has increased in size to about 5gb.

Is this normal?

It is normal actually. I ran updates on absurd numbers of laptops when I worked in retail. The updater doesn't refresh the progress bar correctly and it hasn't in god knows how long, maybe since before the US invaded Iraq idk.

Updates can take multiple hours to complete, staring at them is like watching paint boil. Go browse reddit for the day or something and it will do its thing. Its also highly dependent on your internet connection.. even on tens of Mbit it can take a couple hours.

Also if an update "Fails" - best fix is to usually reboot the computer. If it's not an internet connection issue 9/10 times it means the update it listed to install isn't valid/relevant and when you reboot and refresh the updater poof that update is gone and you can update the others like normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Thanks for the replies!

It jumped straight to 99% after about 2 hours. I left it running with about 80 left to install. Now to go home and find it in flames, ha. The updates were going pretty fast going by the windows folder, I'd imagine there were just so many initially that the progress bar couldn't keep up.

Now I realise why PC World's walk out working scheme does so well, ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Best Buy did the same, and they could have even ripped off the slogan "Walk Out Working" but I don't think anyone every tried to trademark that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Turn off automatic updates, Clear cache, check for updates and install by type. Then update to windows 8.1 from the store. takes a few hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Turn off automatic updates, Clear cache, check for updates and install by type. Then update to windows 8.1 from the store. takes a few hours!

Seems to be the consensus alright.
    Got it all updated in the end anyway, just took its sweet time. Turned off that metered connection download setting, just incase it was causing any trouble downloading the updates too. In fact I spent so much time updating it I wasn't in the mood to use it last night, ha.

I'll get automatic updates turned off later and that should be it done.

Thanks again for the replies all! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

when you eventually get it updated to windows 8.1 don't forget to turn on automatic updates again. YOu will be notified in the notification area of the task bar that they are turned off.

Advertisement