Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Metac insualtion and airtight membrane

Options
  • 17-12-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

Metac insulation 180mm (4.8 sqM per roll) @ €52.00

vario airtight membrane 40m x 1.5m @ €154

Pro Clima intello airtight membrabe 50m x 1.5m @ €215

Anyone get any better than these prices ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Not the same thickness's but might give you an idea...
    Metac Isover 220mm @ €12.30/m2 inc. VAT (3.86m per roll)
    Metac Isover 50mm @ €3.50/m2 inc. VAT (14.4m per roll)

Your quote for 180mm (4.8 sqM per roll) @ €52.00 is €10.80/m2 but don't know if your's is with/without VAT.

ProClima airtight membrane 1.5 x 50 (75m): €125 ex.VAT
    ProClima airtight membrane 3 x 50 (150m): €251 ex.VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Thanks for that, mine all include vat.

I see I'm getting rode on the price of the intello.

Just an update

Knauf Metastud
    €11.99 sqM for 220mm
    €4.61 sqM for 50mm

Metac
    I'm waiting further prices for Metac tomorrow which I'll add

Has anyone used or heard of Isover's Airtightness membrane Vario extra safe.

My roof build up is
    Slate
    2x1.5" baton
    Solitex
    225mm rafter

Isover claim I can fulfil the rafters with 220mm Metac without leaving a ventilation gap (as roof isn't counter batoned) if I use their product Vario extra safe. Their technical dept claim this will allow the roof to sufficiently breath and won't cause issues with timber rot.

hexosan wrote: »

My roof build up is
    Slate
    2x1.5" baton
    Solitex
    225mm rafter

Isover claim I can fulfil the rafters with 220mm Metac without leaving a ventilation gap (as roof isn't counter batoned) if I use their product Vario extra safe. Their technical dept claim this will allow the roof to sufficiently breath and won't cause issues with timber rot.

My engineer told me he wouldn't accept a roof done as described regardless of membrane type. I wasn't planning on it anyway. Does yours have an opinion on it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

My roof build up is
    Slate
    2x1.5" baton
    Solitex
    225mm rafter

I would expect double battens above in order to 'fully fill' between rafters

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..Isover claim I can fulfil the rafters with 220mm Metac without leaving a ventilation gap (as roof isn't counter batoned) if I use their product Vario extra safe. Their technical dept claim this will allow the roof to sufficiently breath and won't cause issues with timber rot.

^^^^^, I wouldn't. Their 'technical department' won't be any use to in the event of a problem or claim, down the road.

And, if you think about it, if filling it allows air through, "to breath", well imho it's a heat path as well.

Vented space required.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

My engineer told me he wouldn't accept a roof done as described regardless of membrane type. I wasn't planning on it anyway. Does yours have an opinion on it?

As always waiting for a call back from at least four messages to the engineer

BryanF wrote: »
    I would expect double battens above in order to 'fully fill' between rafters

Due to an error on site roof wasn't counter batoned so that's not an option unfortunately

Leave 50mm air gap below the felt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Due to an error on site roof wasn't counter batoned so that's not an option unfortunately

Of course it is - remove, add, replace.

You can't ignore it if it's 'wrong'.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Of course it is - remove, add, replace.

You can't ignore it if it's 'wrong'.

The whole roof...slates off and all?

The whole roof...slates off and all?

Have you a main contractor? Was it described in the contract documents? I'm not suggesting you remove the slates but be prepared to install venting into that roof - your architect should be advise you in this

BryanF wrote: »
    Have you a main contractor? Was it described in the contract documents? I'm not suggesting you relive the slates but be prepared to install venting into that roof - your architect should be advise you in this

Originally explained to 1st roof who pulled out two days before start of job was replaced by 2nd roofer the next day. It wasn't his fault as he wasn't aware it was been counter batoned. Roof was practically felted and batoned when it was noticed.
    Roof has been vented at eaves and ridge as per Tegral's spec. Roof as since been slated so they won't be coming off.

Arch and engineer work together as a team and one is as bad as the other, and as stated in previous threads the professionals we employ arent always as professional as ye guys on boards.

I've spoke with the engineer about using vario xtra safe and he's said he's encountered it once before and if their technical dept produce a cert stating it complys with part F ventilation he'll sign off on it.
    Their tech dept claim they can provide this cert and I'm waiting for them to email same. They claim that it's covered to work even on non breathable felt so there's no issue with breakable felt (solitex)

I've looked at knauf omnifit stud earthwool 220mm it has a thermal conductivity of .034w/Mk and a thermal resistance of 6.45w/mk

Isover Metac 220mm has a thermal conductivity of .034w/mk and a thermal resistance of 5.25w/mk

Both are priced roughly the same does the thermal resistance make much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I've spoke with the engineer about using vario xtra safe and he's said he's encountered it once before and if their technical dept produce a cert stating it complys with part F ventilation he'll sign off on it.
    Their tech dept claim they can provide this cert and I'm waiting for them to email same. They claim that it's covered to work even on non breathable felt so there's no issue with breakable felt (solitex)

OP, how does all this fit in with the Tegral eaves and ridge venting system?
    Whats the air path?
    Doe it not require counter battening?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

1. ask them for a copy of the BBA or NSAI cert
    2. check the BBA or NSAI cert for certification in a 'full fill' situation
    3. ask to see a copy of the report on "dynamic condensation and moisture risk analysis" in accordance to I.S. EN 15026:2007 Hygrothermal performance of building components and building elements - Assessment of moisture transfer by numerical simulation.
    4. ask them for verification that the install is in accordance with their manufactures specifications and certifrication requirements.

then and only then should you accept it as a valid construction method,

sydthebeat wrote: »
    3. ask to see a copy of the report on "dynamic condensation and moisture risk analysis" in accordance to I.S. EN 15026:2007 Hygrothermal performance of building components and building elements - Assessment of moisture transfer by numerical simulation.
    4. ask them for verification that the install is in accordance with their manufactures specifications and certifrication requirements.

I'll copy and paste this into an email and see
    What they get back with. Rep rang at 4.30pm looking for exact roof build up, type of slate etc. said he was on to the tech dept on the other line. Interested to hear what they come back with tomorrow

Right below is what the tech Dept replied to the the rep which was forwarded to me:

Further to your enquiry, regarding the use of Full fill Metac between Rafters on a Pitched roof. It is our opinion that using
    Vario Extra safe, on the inner face of the rafters with full fill Metac will allow the structure to suitably breath. This will allow
    vapour release to the inside when required, due to intelligent technologies in the Vario Extra Safe. Please see attached our product
    literature on Vario Extra Safe for any further information or contact me to discuss.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »

I contacted the rep and said the above reply (post #21) wasn't good enough and forwarded syd's four points and asked them to clarify all before i could move forward so it's gone back to the tech dept

I've looked at knauf omnifit stud earthwool 220mm it has a thermal conductivity of .034w/Mk and a thermal resistance of 6.45w/mk

Isover Metac 220mm has a thermal conductivity of .034w/mk and a thermal resistance of 5.25w/mk

Both are priced roughly the same does the thermal resistance make much of a difference.

Any takers on this

Any takers on this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_resistance

If I understand it correctly this issue is related to the idea described here
    http://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Decrement_delay

Do you have a density figure for both products?

The way it was explained to me some time ago was that say you have two materials with same U value in a south facing roof roof and that one of them is twice as dense as the other: e.g. wood fibre vs foam.
    The heat from the sun will pass through the foam more quickly than the wood fibre and overheat the room. Its an issue in converted dormers.
    Hope this is a, correct and b, helpful.:)

I contacted the rep and said the above reply (post #21) wasn't good enough and forwarded syd's four points and asked them to clarify all before i could move forward so it's gone back to the tech dept

I don't believe they have the syd specified paperwork for this one yet, I may be wrong so lets see.
    However suppose they don't and you decide to go with the "comparable" material from the same stable as the Solitex, then this brings you back to the ventilation issue they was part of the design when cross battens were specified.

Again, I may be wrong, but the tegral eaves and ridge ventilation system has an airflow in the space between the Solitex and the slating battens created by the counter battens.

Does the solitex require cross battening?

And this is what the tech dept came back with:

""""Further to your recent enquiries regarding the use of full filling Isover Metac insulation, using Vario XtraSafe to the underside of rafters on a pitched
    roof we can offer the following advice.

Within the Isover Vario range of products there are now two intelligent air-tightness membranes, Vario KM Duplex and Vario XtraSafe. Vario KM Duplex has been an Isover product used successfully on the continent for approximately 20 years and has been sold and used successfully in Ireland for 10 years. During this time it has been proven to be a performance related leader in the market. Demonstrating successful application of full fill mineral wool insulation solutions below breathable roofing systems.

Demonstration of the successful performance of the Isover Vario membranes in various situations and locations has been undertaken using a dynamic software assessment tool called WUFI. WUFI complies with all requirements of standard EN 15026:2007.

The new Vario XtraSafe membrane, which has the largest available sd range of any comparable membrane product on the market, is changing the rules with regards to traditional building physics practices. The implications of the XtraSafe material’s larger sd range can allow the use of mineral wool applications below certain non-breathable roofing situations. Isover have worked closely with the Fraunhofer Institute in Germany, where the dynamics of WUFI were originally established and proven by practical experiments, to establish the properties of the Vario products. Isover have carried out WUFI investigations/calculations which demonstrate our details and claims for a mineral wool “full fill” situation using Vario XtraSafe.

Please note that whilst WUFI calculations have demonstrated that Isover Vario XtraSafe may also be used in unvented flat roof situations, with torch on felt and other dark coloured, cold roof systems, due to the potential for post application of other finishes to the surface i.e. gravel, solar reflective paint and retrofit insulations, we cannot recommend this application. The post application of such finishes can inhibit some of the beneficial effects of solar gain and can actually lead to some detrimental issues

Currently, we do not have an IAB or BBA certificate for the Vario XtraSafe with full fill insulation below non-breathable roof covering. However, the Vario’s product characteristics have been substantiated by third parties where the Vario KM Duplex membrane has been used as part of the Isover Optima system, which is the first and only internal dry lining system to have gained IAB accreditation. Vario KM Duplex also has a BBA certificate for both the material itself and its use as part of the Isover Optima system.

For further information please refer to the attached documents which include the respective BBA/IAB certificates for the Isover Optima system and further literature on the Vario products.""""""

I can't attached the documents so if anyone wants them send me a PM with your email

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

Any takers on this

You are wrong on this, Hex. The figure you quoted for Metac is for about 180mm thickness I reckon. If they have the same thermal conductivity, they'll have the same thermal resistance. I've checked both sites and each product has almost identical thermal resistance of 6.45/6.47 for 220mm thickness.

You must have misread something.

Links are here..... Hopefully I'm not breaching posting guidelines by putting them up for clarification purposes.

http://www.tidl.ie/files/Isover_Metac.pdf

http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/en-gb/products/omnifit/earthwool-omnifit-stud.aspx#axzz3SKHGrmU1

Atlantic1 wrote: »
    You are wrong on this, Hex. The figure you quoted for Metac is for about 180mm thickness I reckon. If they have the same thermal conductivity, they'll have the same thermal resistance. I've checked both sites and each product has almost identical thermal resistance of 6.45/6.47 for 220mm thickness.

You must have misread something.

Links are here..... Hopefully I'm not breaching posting guidelines by putting them up for clarification purposes.

http://www.tidl.ie/files/Isover_Metac.pdf

http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/en-gb/products/omnifit/earthwool-omnifit-stud.aspx#axzz3SKHGrmU1

The one thing I'm sure of is I'm not wrong ��. The mistake lies firmly with their tech dept who quoted those figures to me.

The one thing I'm sure of is I'm not wrong ��. The mistake lies firmly with their tech dept who quoted those figures to me.

You can see from the links I posted that they got it very wrong......

Atlantic1 wrote: »
    You can see from the links I posted that they got it very wrong......

Thanks for the links

• Advertisement

Thanks for the links

You're welcome. 👍

Advertisement