Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding another fluorescent light to series

Options
  • 17-12-2014 1:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

have one double fluorescent light installed in the shed by the electrician a few years ago. Now I feel one corner needs one light and wanted to add another double fluorescent light. Im handy enough in general so hoping to do it myself. what would I need to do to carry on the power to another light. Where should I tap into the old power supply.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A few questions:
    Is the existing light fed from an MCB or from a socket circuit?

How many lights are on the circuit? i.e. when you switch off the MCB supplying the existing light what do you loose?

Do you want the new light to be operated from the same switch as the existing?

Generally lights are fed from a 1.5mm sq. cable. Mechanical protection for cables in a shed can be important but if the cabling is out of the way you may be able to clip a cable surface such as 3 x 1.5 NYMJ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

2011 wrote: »
    A few questions:
    Is the existing light fed from an MCB or from a socket circuit?

How many lights are on the circuit? i.e. when you switch off the MCB supplying the existing light what do you loose?

Do you want the new light to be operated from the same switch as the existing?

Generally lights are fed from a 1.5mm sq. cable. Mechanical protection for cables in a shed can be important but if the cabling is out of the way you may be able to clip a cable surface such as 3 x 1.5 NYMJ.

yes MCB. When the mcb is off it cuts out that double fluorescent light and a 500w halogen light outside the shed. Both of these lights are on separate switches. I want the new fluorescent to be on the same switch as the other fluorescent so they both come on the same time

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ok, am i correct in assuming that it is a 10A MCB ? Is B10 written on it?

To get the lights to switch together simply feed the new light from the old.
    Needless to say may sure that the power is switched off!

The cable described above is frequently used for this type of application.
    Is the new cable likley to suffer from mechanical damage?

Ok, am i correct in assuming that it is a 10A MCB ? Is B10 written on it?

To get the lights to switch together simply feed the new light from the old.
    Needless to say may sure that the power is switched off!

The cable described above is frequently used for this type of application.
    Is the new cable likley to suffer from mechanical damage?

that particular one has b6 on it. will that be strong enough

f140 wrote: »
    that particular one has b6 on it. will that be strong enough

Yes, it should be. If you feel that the cable may get a few knocks it would be a good idea to install it in conduit. There is a 20mm PVC conduit available that is impact resistant and shatterproof (to a point). Otherwise clip the NYMJ. Fully enclosed light fittings are best.

• Advertisement

Yes, it should be. If you feel that the cable may get a few knocks it would be a good idea to install it in conduit. There is a 20mm PVC conduit available that is impact resistant and shatterproof (to a point). Otherwise clip the NYMJ. Fully enclosed light fittings are best.

the cable should be fine as it would be tacked along timber along the roof and nothing should hit it.

Advertisement