Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for a day or week

Options
  • 17-12-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I want to rent a thermal imaging camera for either a day or a week. The two companies gave me the cost of renting but said that I must INSURE the item before I can rent it. Does anybody know how I could go about getting insurance for the camera for ONE day. The camera is worth 4000 euro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

If you have a home insurance policy ring the Insurance Company and ask for it to be included under specified items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Your house insurer won't do it. The same way as they won't insure tools for professional use if you are a tradesman by occupation. Its a professional piece of equipment.

One has to assume that proficient DIYer doesnt require a thermal imager so is it for work use?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

peteb2 wrote: »
    Your house insurer won't do it. The same way as they won't insure tools for professional use if you are a tradesman by occupation. Its a professional piece of equipment.

One has to assume that proficient DIYer doesnt require a thermal imager so is it for work use?

A "proficient DIYer" might use one to determine where heat is escaping from the home, with a view to pin pointing areas to improve insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

I want to rent a thermal imaging camera for either a day or a week. The two companies gave me the cost of renting but said that I must INSURE the item before I can rent it. Does anybody know how I could go about getting insurance for the camera for ONE day. The camera is worth 4000 euro.

Another reason why you won't be able to cover this under the home insurance is that you don't actually own the item.

The logical thing to do would be to ask the hire companies to point you in the right direction. I would imagine they have dealt with cases like your own before and would have at least some idea where you might go with this one.

Advertisement