Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons Dun Laoghaire (40 Foot)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Chinasea, honestly now come on. You're being a little ridiculous. Do you manage the place or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Hire

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lima wrote: »
    Hire

Great contribution. You really added to the thread.

Give yourself a high 5 and a pat on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Well you clearly can't spell, should you take training before posting on this forum? I'm male, frequenting pubs since the late 70s, and I also was taken aback that the bar person had to seek assistance in pulling a pint. Worth getting angry over? No more than having your spelling corrected..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

coylemj wrote: »
    Which means they have replicated what they did up in the Three Tun Tavern i.e. recruit low calibre staff with no experience, provide little or no training and open a brand new pub after spending millions on a refit only to fcuk it up with crap service.

A metaphor involving monkeys and peanuts comes to my mind every time I go into the TTT. Last time I was there the staff were not very busy so one of them sat down in the seat beside me, whipped out her smartphone and proceeded to play music videos through the phone's speaker! This was several months after they opened so they were long past the grace period for the usual excuses like 'bedding in' and 'teething problems'.

If anything this highlights the difference in the type of staff who serve in British vs. Irish pubs. Across the water they seem to rely a lot on tips ('have one yourself luv') whereas over here they get a living wage and hence it's seen as a proper job and not one for people who are only passing through.

Sure why bother training staff when they're stuck dealing with animals all day long? The class of skobe who frequents Wetherspoons doesn't deserve anything better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Chinasea wrote: »
    Honestly, it really is incredible how short sighted and negative some people are. How the heck are many of these 18 year olds supposed to have EXPERIENCE? We all had to start somewhere. I think it is great to see a business extending the hand to these local young people. Sour grapes, resentment and gawd knows what else all behind this grumbling. Sure lets close the place down and let it add to the vacant lot.

No one will tolerate customer service which has been as bad as that this week, new bar or not. There is no excuse for it from a company this big. They need a blend of experience and youth and there is no leadership or management evident inside the place. Its like its being run by the cast of Big Brother doing a task. Its not just the staffing, the supply chain stuff is inexcusable, especially after the lessons they should have learned in Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sure why bother training staff when they're stuck dealing with animals all day long? The class of skobe who frequents Wetherspoons doesn't deserve anything better.

I was in Wetherspoons TTT in blackrock to check it out.

I would classify myself as a better person than you based solely on your ridiculous comment.

The service was excellent the lad who dropped the food over came back twice to ask if we needed anything else.

You sir, are a cad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Chinasea wrote: »
    Honestly, it really is incredible how short sighted and negative some people are. How the heck are many of these 18 year olds supposed to have EXPERIENCE? We all had to start somewhere. I think it is great to see a business extending the hand to these local young people. Sour grapes, resentment and gawd knows what else all behind this grumbling. Sure lets close the place down and let it add to the vacant lot.

To be blunt what JDW are doing is bizarre. Normal procedure in a brand new pub is to get new staff and split them. Roughly half go from other pubs to the new pub, half of the totally new inexperienced staff go to an existing pub, especially if they have no experience whatsoever.

Staff in the existing pubs will spend a few weeks in the new one, showing the newbies the ropes, make sure its up and running properly and all major and minor issues are ironed out.

Staff are then swapped over gradually so that after 6 months you have a fully trained crew who know the ins and outs of running a pub.

JDW seem to have cut corners by not hiring a few experienced staff but instead going for a cheaper option at a the risk of losing reputation at the beginning and losing long term customers.

False saving IMO but I reckon they are here to stay long term of they keep the prices down.

The pub in blackrock has certainly found its feet, but it's in a town boasting several decent pubs, none of which I'm sure is over enamoured by the new arrival. It doesn't offer anything different there other than low cost alcohol.
    Dun Laoghaire is a different environment, other than Walters for a while ( and the purty, though that's not in the town), it hasn't managed to sustain a decent pub since the 80's. I'd be inclined to overlook correctable irritants in the hope that something good might emerge, it's an amazing location

The pub in blackrock has certainly found its feet, but it's in a town boasting several decent pubs, none of which I'm sure is over enamoured by the new arrival. It doesn't offer anything different there other than low cost alcohol.
    Dun Laoghaire is a different environment, other than Walters for a while ( and the purty, though that's not in the town), it hasn't managed to sustain a decent pub since the 80's. I'd be inclined to overlook correctable irritants in the hope that something good might emerge, it's an amazing location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Have drank a few times in ttt.

Staff are generally excellent, I have no complaints at all, about them. They lost my good order once, but given me a refund and still fed me within an hour of my order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

listermint wrote: »
    I was in Wetherspoons TTT in blackrock to check it out.

I would classify myself as a better person than you based solely on your ridiculous comment.

The service was excellent the lad who dropped the food over came back twice to ask if we needed anything else.

You sir, are a cad.

What's the measure of a man? Apparently it's partaking in a hot meal and a cheap ale at Wetherspoon's. Suits you Sir.

Was in 40 foot earlier, i recognised quite a few of the staff from previous visits to the three ton !!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Local (FG) T.D. Mary Mitchell O'Connor is against cheap booze being sold by JDW. And we thought the publicans were all in Fianna Fail - remember how Michael McDowell's proposal to allow small cafes to sell beer got shot down from within the FF/PD coalition?

...... Deputy Mitchell O'Connor, whose constituency also includes Blackrock, wrote a letter to local businesses last month outlining her concerns about Wetherspoon's opening in Dun Laoghaire.

Citing the refusal of brewing giant Heineken to allow Wetherspoon to sell pints of its lager for less than €3 here, Deputy Mitchell O'Connor said this "welcome move accurately and strongly illustrates how below-cost selling is neither successful nor beneficial to the business community".

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/250-pub-pints-should-be-outlawed-says-fg-td-30880442.html

Clearly Mary puts the interests of the 'business community' before that of the consumers who elected her.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Local (FG) T.D. Mary Mitchell O'Connor is against cheap booze being sold by JDW. And we thought the publicans were all in Fianna Fail - remember how Michael McDowell's proposal to allow small cafes to sell beer got shot down from within the FF/PD coalition?

...... Deputy Mitchell O'Connor, whose constituency also includes Blackrock, wrote a letter to local businesses last month outlining her concerns about Wetherspoon's opening in Dun Laoghaire.

Citing the refusal of brewing giant Heineken to allow Wetherspoon to sell pints of its lager for less than €3 here, Deputy Mitchell O'Connor said this "welcome move accurately and strongly illustrates how below-cost selling is neither successful nor beneficial to the business community".

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/250-pub-pints-should-be-outlawed-says-fg-td-30880442.html

Clearly Mary puts the interests of the 'business community' before that of the consumers who elected her.

She drove her car down the steps of the Dail. I feel embarrassed by my fellow residents of DLR for voting herself and RBB in

Vintners lobby has always been fairly strong and FG have always been about mom and pop businesses so no surprises here. She is however wasting her breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Mary only approve of south side ladies and gents tiffling away vino at home or in restaurants. Everyone else is an alcoholic and needs help by way of tax increases and overpriced hooch....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

MMO'C is very keen to ingratiate herself with the local and wider business community, as well as her ministerial colleagues. The little people will only get you so far you know...

That was some amount of tosh she was posting about alcohol on twitter the last few days.

Not saying it doesn't cause have a big effect on society, but none of the stuff she posted would be affected by minimum pricing or by the 40 Foot charging €5 rather than €2.50

If she wants to go to bat for local vintners I wish she'd have the integrity to say so and stick with her argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭spillit67

Whilst Wetherspoons itself is not my cup of tea tbh I would prefer local young people to be there than drinking naggins and cans in houses. We can talk all we want about increasing the price of alcohol in supermarkets but the difference in price between pubs pre Wetherspoons and what you can buy in pubs was so great that pubs were a complete no go for people under 25. The result was people getting tanked up at home before heading into town to Harcourt Street where they hoped to spend as little as possible inside establishments and be drunk before they get in.

It is noticeable that Wetherspoons in Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire is full of young people who wouldn't be in pubs otherwise. If they are drinking a couple of 2.50 pints rather than downing naggins in 20 minutes before going to nightclubs then this is a much better thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wouldn't mind but it's about the only thing attracting people to Dun Laoghaire at the moment after 5 o'clock

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

Best pub in DL, though that`s not saying a lot. Pints of Staropramen for three euro just can`t be argued with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Any idea if the Weatherspoons in Dun Laoghaire or Blackrock have TVs that show the footy? Prob sounds like a stupid question but just wondering can you sit down and watch the football without having to order food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

glenjamin wrote: »
    Any idea if the Weatherspoons in Dun Laoghaire or Blackrock have TVs that show the footy? Prob sounds like a stupid question but just wondering can you sit down and watch the football without having to order food.

They don't have tvs in Dun Laoghaire and didnt originally in Blackrock but heard from one or two that they have one now there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

There's a TV in Blackrock

There was a TV in Blackrock from the start, but they dont have subscription services, any sport has to be on RTE, and even then its not guaranteed to be on.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    There was a TV in Blackrock from the start, but they dont have subscription services, any sport has to be on RTE, and even then its not guaranteed to be on.

I've only ever been in Blackrock in the daytime and the TV was always showing the RTE News channel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Six nations is on in the Forty Foot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've only ever been in Blackrock in the daytime and the TV was always showing the RTE News channel.

There was a Leinster game on there one night but it was on TG4.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    There was a Leinster game on there one night but it was on TG4.

Consensus seems to indicate that they show sport on terrestrial TV but don't have any subscription channels.

Advertisement