Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor socket / lights

Options
  • 17-12-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have limited electrical knowledge and need some help please.
    I have an outdoor pond pump and light managed from one indoor light switch. Can I replace the outdoor light fixture with an outdoor socket? I want to try and connect up some external Xmas lights.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

No. You can't put a socket on a lighting circuit. If the socket you want to install is on an external wall of the house best bet is to locate the external socket on the wall directly opposite an internal socket. That way you can just drill through the back of the internal socket into the back of the external socket.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rebelnag

Thought as much. Thanks for the reply Luckysasha.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

rebelnag wrote: »
    Thought as much. Thanks for the reply Luckysasha.

Also if you can use a switched fused spur so you can isolate the outside socket when not in use. And switch the lights on and off from inside if you need.

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

rebelnag wrote: »
    I have limited electrical knowledge and need some help please.
    I have an outdoor pond pump and light managed from one indoor light switch. Can I replace the outdoor light fixture with an outdoor socket? I want to try and connect up some external Xmas lights.
    Thanks

Alot of outdoor led christmas lights have 10 meters of lead from plug traffo to 1st bulb so you could run the lead indoors through a window and then plug in the lights to an exiasting indoor socket close to the window.You could also plug in a 24 hour timer on the plugs and set the on and off time for the lights.This way your lights will come on and then turn off at night and you dont have to worry about anything.
    A small 24 hour mechanical timer plug can be bought in b n q for 3 euro.

• Advertisement

Luckysasha wrote: »
    No. You can't put a socket on a lighting circuit. If the socket you want to install is on an external wall of the house best bet is to locate the external socket on the wall directly opposite an internal socket. That way you can just drill through the back of the internal socket into the back of the external socket.

Completely isolate that internal socket from power 1st would be a good idea.
    The person should isolate it from the consumer board before going near anything or drilling any hole.An outdoor double socket costs about 13 euro from a builders merchants or the likes of grange electrical in baldoyle.A small length of 2.5 nymj should also be used to connect new outdoor socket to existing indoor socket.

The person will also need an sds drill an a 450mm x 12mm sds bit to drill through an external wall in order to feed the 2.5nymj out through the wall.Drill out from the inside to the outside and drill down at a slight angle,this will prevent rain comming back into the hole and indoors on a story day or night.

Advertisement