Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing/Snowboarding First Time Central/Eastern Europe

• 17-12-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    A group of us(well 2 or 3) are gonna be traveling around europe round the spring time passing through the likes of austria/poland/croatia/slovenia/slovakia etc.
    Thinking of stopping off at a ski resort but none of us have skiied or snowboarded before but thinking of looking into it maybe if there's some sort of beginners slopes to try out but have a few questions.

Like do you have to take lessons before you can go on a slope or if not do ski resorts have beginners slope?
    We're thinking if we can we might try snowboarding as doesn't look as awkward(but what do we know),also we don't have any great expectations,expect to spent the majority of time falling over or on our ass's,its more of a thing we just want to try it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Do it in Austria, better set up and more chance of having good conditions in the Spring Enjoy, either skiing or boarding will be fun in a group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

If in the tatra mountains , Poland/Slovakia you should call into Zakopane.
    Lively mountain town with the opportunity to ski/snowboard but weather dependant
    Loads of information here

http://www.discoverzakopane.com/

Even if you dont end up skiing there its well worth a visit of your touring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    If in the tatra mountains , Poland/Slovakia you should call into Zakopane.
    Lively mountain town with the opportunity to ski/snowboard but weather dependant
    Loads of information here

http://www.discoverzakopane.com/

Even if you dont end up skiing there its well worth a visit of your touring.
    Was in Zakopane for a race weekend, races cancelled because it absolutely Dumped snow something like 80 cm over a few days! So we powder skied for 3 days! Good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Skiing in the Czech Republic is good value.

http://www.spindleruv-mlyn.com/en/

There is a good bus service from Prague.
    PM me if you need more detail directions about getting out there.

As far as Austria is concerned, I wholehearted recommend Bad Hofgastein as there is an amazing pool/sauna complex right in the middle of town - perfect for sore muscles when you are learning.

Fattes wrote: »
    Was in Zakopane for a race weekend, races cancelled because it absolutely Dumped snow something like 80 cm over a few days! So we powder skied for 3 days! Good times

i love the place , might not be the perfect skiing destination but its in a beautiful area and the prices are affordable.
    8 weeks to go :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 johnjameson

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Zakopane looks good,as does the one in Prague,a big plus too is getting transport out to a resort so Prague looks appealing in that sense.
    Don't think we'll be doing Austria afterall so ruling out places there for the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 johnjameson

Just an update on Zakopane,was looking good,a big plus was being able to get a bus from Krakow to there.
    They also had a quick start package,few hours of lessons,help picking out equipment and a ski pass.
    skizakopane.com/quick-start.html
    But got no reply when I sent an email for the link on that page.
    Thinking of trying this site as an alternative,seems somewhat similar
    zakopane-goski.com/?gclid=COes5qvE2MMCFUHlwgodr2EAyw

After Krakow mostly heading south so Austria is a bit outta the way.
    Prague was an option but I think (Špindlerův Mlýn) will be closed by the time we're over there which will be the last week of march/1st week of April,its listed as closed on the 23rd on the site listed here but unconfirmed on others.
    Nothing jumping out at me in Slovenia or Slovakia either.

AFAIK the owner of the website does all this on her own and due to time of year is probably a bit swamped.
    try message again through the altius@discoverzakopane.com or try the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DiscoverZakopane

the other site http://www.zakopane-goski.com/ is just as good , guy called lech , hes a nice guy , pretty laid back and will take you personally to the slopes.

Id be a bit concerned about how much snow your gonna get at that time of year , it really is the end of the season , good chance of Kasprowy being open but its definitely not suited for beginners.

Wouldnt put me off , some great walking to be had and loads of good bars and restaurants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

MadsL wrote: »
    Skiing in the Czech Republic is good value.

http://www.spindleruv-mlyn.com/en/

There is a good bus service from Prague.
    PM me if you need more detail directions about getting out there.

As far as Austria is concerned, I wholehearted recommend Bad Hofgastein as there is an amazing pool/sauna complex right in the middle of town - perfect for sore muscles when you are learning.

Heading to Prague next weekend, more of a boozy session but I'm trying to sell the idea of going to one of the resorts for a day trip. The bus seems quite long to spindleruv? Is it better to rent and drive? How is the apres? I need to sell it to a couple of non-skiers/boarders!!

Would Bozi Dar be closer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Looks gorgeous! Some lovely reviews on that Facebook page :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement