Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job not in job description

Options
  • 17-12-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

if there's an aspect of the job that wasn't mentioned in the contract or at interview stage is there a right for u to refuse to do the job.to add to that legally the job would be breaking laws as I do not have HACAP,the food qualification.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Your employer is liable (as well as you are) if you're handling food without proper haacp qualifications

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

if there's an aspect of the job that wasn't mentioned in the contract or at interview stage is there a right for u to refuse to do the job.to add to that legally the job would be breaking laws as I do not have HACAP,the food qualification.

Two issues here:

You can refuse - but you're likely still on probation, so they can fire you very quickly.

If you're being asked to do something (in the JD or not) which it's not legal for you to do, then that's a whole different issue, especially if you are personally liable. But instead of refusing outright, you could just ask when they're providing you with the necessary training to get certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Some contracts can loosely worded enough to allow employers to add extra parts of work.

Instead of a flat out "no", consider asking the employer to put money and/or pay for the training/certification to allow you to do so. It may look well on the CV; "whilst doing X, I did Y after getting the certificate through work for it"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

You can refuse but if they were to fire you because of this, surely there'd be a case of unfair dismissal??

• Advertisement
Advertisement