Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dieing

• 17-12-2014 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I know this is a morbid subject but I wanted to get some opinion.

I am over 60 years old, unemployed, on JA with no savings and I live alone with no relatives in Ireland.

What would happen if I die?

Would I get buried in the town I have lived in the last four years?

Would there be a funeral? (I don't follow any religion)

Who would pay for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

The old principal of my primary school has only one relative and was so distrustful of them that he decided to buy a plot and have the headstone installed in advance. It's been sitting in the local graveyard with no info on it for about 15 years now, he pops down every now and again to tidy it up, remove weeds, etc.

I've just realised this has damn near nothing to do with your predicament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

The old principal of my primary school has only one relative and was so distrustful of them that he decided to buy a plot and have the headstone installed in advance. It's been sitting in the local graveyard with no info on it for about 15 years now, he pops down every now and again to tidy it up, remove weeds, etc.

I've just realised this has damn near nothing to do with your predicament.

Should I ask him if he has room for one more in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

OP, are you being genuine and serious? Are you ok?

If you are worried you will be forgotten about or treated without dignity, you won't. People care about you. Make known your wishes. Make known whatever you need to feel better about this, as someone cares. Genuinely and sincerely. I know that if I had this conversation with you in person, I'd care, and wish you many more years of healthy living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH huh? You've come to the right place.

The state will care for your body and arrange everything.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sure you've another good few years left. A few decades! Who knows what will happen between then and now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

What colour are you going for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Yes, I'm serious and yes I'm OK.

The Community Welfare officer in town asked me if I'd arranged my plot in the local cemetery. That's what made me think about it. I don't have money for that.

No info online that I can find either.

To be honest I don't care that much. Just wondering what would happen, that's all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

You could also buy your own coffin as a neighbour of my cousins did years ago, it was in his sitting room for the last 22 years of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Ethel

Nomis21 wrote: »

I am over 60 years old, unemployed, on JA with no savings and I live alone with no relatives in Ireland.

Who would pay for it?
    You've stirred up a couple of questions of my own, which I hope you don't mind my asking. This I ask first purely because I'm placing myself in your shoes; would you not rather be buried in your home country where people know you and can take care of things for you?

Secondly, do you have friends here or at least one you could talk to about your wishes after your death? Have you had your will arranged?

Im not entirely sure what would be the out come. But I know that there used to be some kind of a grant offered to a member of family if there were no arrangents made. I don't think that grant even exists anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It is a responsible thing to arrange for the costs around that time of all our lives. People do it.

But don't stress yourself.
    You are where you are in your life. If you don't have the money, you don't have the money. You will be treated with dignity in death in this country in line with the principles and values of your beliefs. There are no paupers funerals.

If you like, you can have a conversation with a funeral director who would answer all your queries on all options, religious, non religious, and funding etc. Nothing morbid at all, these guys are all good and honest men and are having these conversations day in day out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I hope I get the time to manage my exit. Like anything in life it has to be planned and it's no business of religious nut jobs about how I manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Start a Kick starter campaign.

Try and raise say 20k and build a mini pyramid or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 steveblack572

Why care , when your dead it wont be your problem.
    Live you life now and try enjoy it, let someone else worry about disposing of your dead body. It wont be your problem so dont worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You would be stuffed in a black bag and put out with the rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

myshirt wrote: »
    It is a responsible thing to arrange for the costs around that time of all our lives. People do it.

But don't stress yourself.
    You are where you are in your life. If you don't have the money, you don't have the money. You will be treated with dignity in death in this country in line with the principles and values of your beliefs. There are no paupers funerals.

If you like, you can have a conversation with a funeral director who would answer all your queries on all options, religious, non religious, and funding etc. Nothing morbid at all, these guys are all good and honest men and are having these conversations day in day out.

And they well know how to charge for their services. And if its the State thats picking up the tab, they'll add a couple of hundred extra.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jesus, nice one on the plain old human sympathy folks.

IIRC Nomis21 I'd reckon you'd be buried locally in some fashion. If this is something that really worries you, maybe speak to your local social security person and ask them what you could do now to ensure the sendoff and resting place you'd be happy with. I'm sure there are options.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Cremation is another option, you could request where you would like your ashes scattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 steveblack572

Wibbs wrote: »

speak to your local social security person and ask them what you could do now to ensure the sendoff and resting place you'd be happy with. I'm sure there are options.

And when your dead they will disregard your wishes and pick whatever is the cheapest way to dispose of your body.

Stop worrying about it and enjoy your life now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,521 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This would be likely, but it would depend on the logistics of the matter.
    There would likely be some sort of basic, but decent ceremony.
    Who would pay for it?
    Ultimately, if you had no assets, it would be the council, as sanitary authority. Most likely via the local cemetery committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

If you donate your body to medical science they'll bury you for free. Also there's still a death grant available albeit a reduced one, and if you have money in the Credit Union, a hundred or two I think, they'll pay the cost of your funeral too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If you donate your body to medical science they'll bury you for free. Also there's still a death grant available albeit a reduced one, and if you have money in the Credit Union, a hundred or two I think, they'll pay the cost of your funeral too.
    You should know! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Depends where you live. If you are in a rural area, neighbours will dig the grave, and refill it. Even if they never spoke to/knew you. Local church will probably donate a plot. If nobody knows of any particular religious persuasion you had during life, then I don't know which of the mainstream denominations would be approached? Don't know if Council run cemeteries are able to accommodate such cases without payment from somewhere?
    What kind of happy, cheery Community welfare visitor did you meet? :D
    I hope they never volunteer with "The Samaritans" :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Average cost for a funeral in ireland is €4500.
    There used to be a bereavement grant available for funeral costs, €850, but that was discontinued from january this year.

If someone dies and no one comes forward to pay for a funeral then the state will bury you in what used to be called a 'paupers funeral'.
    This is a very basic process with no frills and no customisation etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Victor wrote: »
    This would be likely, but it would depend on the logistics of the matter.

There would likely be some sort of basic, but decent ceremony.

Ultimately, if you had no assets, it would be the council, as sanitary authority. Most likely via the local cemetery committee.

See OP, after you die you'll just be rubbish removal :) Ask a mate to leave you on the footpath, the council will get rid of you eventually like they do with sofas etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ever watch Little Miss Sunshine? That's how you want to go out. With a bang and a legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

What will happen is largely up to you. The good news is that you're not dead yet so there's still plenty of time for you to find a partner or form close friendships and involve yourself with your community so that you build the kind of support network that will mean you have sombody there to hold your hand as you go and bury you afterwards. It might also be prudent to plan for that event, sure me 'ol granny's favorite pass time it seemed was 'savin' and plannin' for her funeral', she was adament that there had to be money to bury her in a fashion that the neighbours would admire. I guess it was like a really morbid hobby for her...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

As an atheist, donate your body to medical science, they'll bury you in accordance with your wishes when they're finished

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/irish-medical-schools-plead-for-corpses-142239305-237434611.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Lads and Ladies

If you ever hear im Dead.

Make sure im cremated, Put in a firework and blasted over a nice beach.

Cheers

Polo Mint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Lads and Ladies

Cheers

Polo Mint

Edit: Not in the Summer time, I don't want to land in someone's Ice Cream

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Chances are when I die (many years from now hopefully) I'll be buried/cremated in the manner that most people are.

However, since I'll be dead I really wouldn't care. I know it's important to a lot of people and that's very understandable, but I wouldn't worry about what will happen to my physical body once I'm dead while I'm alive. I'd rather concentrate on living my life and if I'm lucky enough to have those that care about me at that time, concentrate on making sure I do as much as possible for those that will e left after I'm gone.

They can put my head on a spike Westeros style if they want, which would actually be pretty cool. I probably won't have that as a dying wish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

that's what I was thinking, let science take care of it.

I just want to be put in the black bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Lads and Ladies

Cheers

Polo Mint

I'm on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Average cost for a funeral in ireland is €4500.
    There used to be a bereavement grant available for funeral costs, €850, but that was discontinued from january this year.

If someone dies and no one comes forward to pay for a funeral then the state will bury you in what used to be called a 'paupers funeral'.
    This is a very basic process with no frills and no customisation etc.

Id settle for that. I dont want to worry about my funeral costs when im alive or have may family fork out a ridiculous sum of money when im gone. They can chuck my body at sea for all I care. Not like I'll give a sh!t then. When your gone, your gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

There was actually a thing about this on the radio a few weeks ago there. They were interviewing some guy that had an 'alternative natural burial' business of some sort. Started in Donegal but I'm sketchy on the other details. Think it was the Ray D'Arcy show on today FM, maybe. If anyone else remembers details. They podcast a lot of their interviews so someone might be able to link it.

This came up. They asked him what happens if people make no arrangements and no one else does for them. Apparently the state have a place. They'll bury you up good with others in a similar situation. I'm a bit odd but I thought that was kinda nice.

Sorry about the sketchiness. Best I can do memory wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

strobe wrote: »
    This came up. They asked him what happens if people make no arrangements and no one else does for them. Apparently the state have a place. They'll bury you up good with others in a similar situation. I'm a bit odd but I thought that was kinda nice.
    The bottom line is the body has to be disposed of, a rotting human corpse is a biohazard for other humans and it's in everyone's best interests that it be buried or burned.

I would have thought it would be much cheaper for the state to burn the bodies of people that have no arrangements or family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭DeadHand

The Community Welfare officer in town asked me if I'd arranged my plot in the local cemetery

Does this strike anybody else as an outrageous question to ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Try not to stress about it Nomis. Knowledge is power so lets arm up.

The Citizens Information Board would be my first call of port. If they can't answer you effectively, they know who can.

See here for some information, it's not exactly what you are looking for but on the same site you will find local offices that will help you with your query.

They can also be called on this number 0761 07 4000, Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm.

If you are feeling a little lonely, check out my sig for many organsations that can lend an ear. Most if not all are free and you don't have to be on the brink to use them. They are open to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Also, in a rural area, a funeral will cost a lot less. Figure on about 2200 Euro for Oak Coffin, Hearse, Notices on local Radio and on RIP.ie,few Wreaths, church, hymn sheets printed etc. That's with neighbours opening and closing the grave, etc, and a plot in a local graveyard already provided. Local hotel with soup, sandwiches nibbles tea coffee etc for approx. 60 people, another 450 or thereabouts. That's with you waked in your own home, no idea what charges are if you are laid out in the Funeral home. Relax, its probably 25 years away yet.......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

You should know! :p

Oh I do...........

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Buy cats, lots of em. Those f****** won't leave much behind

• Advertisement

Or just get a friend to dig a hole in your back garden discreetly.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Lads and Ladies

Cheers

Polo Mint

This is now how I want to be disposed of!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

DeadHand wrote: »
    Does this strike anybody else as an outrageous question to ask?

Sometimes people have to ask morbid/awkward questions. Considering the advice that the OP has gotten so far, I think it was a good bit of advice to query about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Who would pay for it?

Seen a thing on crime call about a german lad that was found dead in a forrest no way to id him or nothing no next of kin, the locals picked out a nice spot for him and the local stonemason made a nice headstone, theres some good in ireland yet! and it seems community's really rally around when things like this happen in most cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Was thinking about the OPs initial query and funny enough a realisation dawned on me yesterday that if things went totally wrong I do not have close friends nearer than 20 miles away. (And yes, thank Goodness, I do have very close friends, before anyone worries :D )This means if I needed someone to mind me for a few hours in the event of tragedy till the family and beloved ones could get there i would be a bit stuck.
    It was a funny realisation. Rural area, different outlooks, nice people and all that etc etc...but not all of us slot in nice and handy on the ''local'' scene. So I can understand how OP might have arrived at a place where he lives somewhere but is not totally perhaps ''integrated'' in the community at hand.
    And yeah, when it comes to death then questions arise. Where would i be buried? Here, where i have lived for a long time but am not integrated? My beloved ones are the types who would not be stuck to this place...so why be buried here? Why bury any of us here? I came to the conclusion that cremation saves a lot of questions :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

ScumLord wrote: »
    that's what I was thinking, let science take care of it.

I just want to be put in the black bin.

Surely a brown bin for composting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

not something that you should worry about.... my father used always say, if they won't bury you out of love, they'll bury you for the stink!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'm going to pretend I have no relatives when I die just to save them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jesus, nice one on the plain old human sympathy folks.

Most of post before this one of yours were grand. :confused: Offering advice, and kind words mostly from what I can see.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    You would be stuffed in a black bag and put out with the rubbish.

As I explained

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2212476.ece/alternates/s615/Dustcart-collecting-rubbish-for-landfill.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement