Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clinicaly dead pregnant woman on life support

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

DM addict wrote: »

The issue is that they have expressed their wishes and are being ignored.

I dont think they are being ignored.

Its likely that doctors want to ensure they are not going outside the legal position if they turn off the machine, with regard to protection of life of the unborn. And so are seeking advice on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Shrap wrote: »
    Yes, yes they do. I know that's a bit "ew", but they do, and so does hair. It's to do with the stored energy in the body.

Is it not your scalp/skin drying out and 'shrinking'?

Sorry for going OT!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I guess this means on Tuesday the state has to give free legal aid and legal representation for the woman's fetus.

It would be interesting to see whether a foetus can be made a ward of court. If that is possible, it could theoretically lead to situations where, for example, a woman who wants to travel abroad for a termination could be stopped from doing so if the foetus is a ward of court. Of course, that would never happen. Its not like the State took an injunction to stop a 14 year old rape victim from having a termination in the UK or anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Is the foetus viable?

i.e. If the woman is kept on life support, in all probability will a child be born?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Quazzie wrote: »
    If i lost my daughter, but had a chance to save my Grandshild I would move heaven and earth to make it happen.
    And after listening to all of the options and information you will likely come to the stark realisation that moving heaven and earth is beyond your capabilities.

The foetus is 17 weeks. It's well before viability. So there is no way to know whether keeping her on life support while the foetus grows will result in a viable foetus.
    Keeping her on life support as a human incubator would be an experiment. Quite literally, "Let's give this a go and see what happens". Ethically, that's way over the line, you're basically experimenting on corpses and foetuses at the same time, without anyone's permission.

To say you'd want to "save" your grandchild is admirable, but are you willing to gamble for the slim (let's face it, completely unpredictable) chance that it's a healthy child? As a parent is that what you'd want your parents to do?

The chances of this turning into a healthy, viable child, are tiny. The chances of this resulting in a miscarriage are high, and even if it does go to a viable term, the chances of the end result being severely disabled or completely cabbaged, are also high.

You're a parent, what would you want - for your corpse to "give birth" to a child with a high probability of a pathetic existence, or for you both to receive the dignity of being allowed to die?

• Advertisement

Is the foetus viable?

i.e. If the woman is kept on life support, in all probability will a child be born?

The success rates of gestating a foetus like this are mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

Can someone help me here, I'm struggling?

A fetus inside the womb of a human turns into -

A. Frog
    B. Kitten
    C. Child

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Is the foetus viable?

Very difficult to say. Someone posted a link earlier to a medical journal which indicated a low chance, and many of these were for later term pregnancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very difficult to say. Someone posted a link earlier to a medical journal which indicated a low chance, and many of these were for later term pregnancies.

better a low chance than no chance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

seamus wrote: »
    And after listening to all of the options and information you will likely come to the stark realisation that moving heaven and earth is beyond your capabilities.

The foetus is 17 weeks. It's well before viability. So there is no way to know whether keeping her on life support while the foetus grows will result in a viable foetus.
    Keeping her on life support as a human incubator would be an experiment. Quite literally, "Let's give this a go and see what happens". Ethically, that's way over the line, you're basically experimenting on corpses and foetuses at the same time, without anyone's permission.

To say you'd want to "save" your grandchild is admirable, but are you willing to gamble for the slim (let's face it, completely unpredictable) chance that it's a healthy child? As a parent is that what you'd want your parents to do?

The chances of this turning into a healthy, viable child, are tiny. The chances of this resulting in a miscarriage are high, and even if it does go to a viable term, the chances of the end result being severely disabled or completely cabbaged, are also high.

You're a parent, what would you want - for your corpse to "give birth" to a child with a high probability of a pathetic existence, or for you both to receive the dignity of being allowed to die?
    I would want the people that love me, to give my child every chance of survival no matter how small. It's as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is basically a complete unknown.
    The most recent similar case was "Marlise Munoz" in Texas who died at 14 weeks. The state forced life support to be kept active for 8 weeks, at which point they detected severe abnormalities in the foetus and switched off the machines.

That's pretty horrific for all involved.

I would want the people that love me, to give my child every chance of survival no matter how small. It's as simple as that.

Would you be in favour of compelling someone else to donate body parts to ensure your child survives after birth?

lazygal wrote: »
    It is not a child. It is a foetus. Your nails keep growing after you're dead, that doesn't mean you're alive.

So a feotus is not alive then?

Would you be in favour of compelling someone else to donate body parts to ensure your child survives after birth?

If it was my child/grandchild I would be first in the queue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

The success rates of gestating a foetus like this are mixed.

Under no circumstances should the pregnancy be aborted.

This is incredible stuff - The mother is to all intents and purposes dead so she doesn't matter one iota.

Everyone's sole focus should be the foetus. If it could be brought to term and delivered successfully that would be a truly wonderful thing.

The family's behaviour is despicable in this case although perhaps they're not thinking straight. Hence the State MUST intervene and stand up for the foetus' right to life.

This is a "no brainer" - The foetus must be given a chance.

If it was my child/grandchild I would be first in the queue.

And suppose, for example, your bone marrow wasn't a match. Would you like a law to be introduced forcing someone else to donate theirs to keep him or her alive?

And suppose, for example, your bone marrow wasn't a match. Would you like a law to be introduced forcing someone else to donate theirs to keep him or her alive?

Of course not. No one should be forced to do anything. What a bizarre situation you are creating there.

If/When the child is born they should be afforded the same rights as anyone else.

Of course not. No one should be forced to do anything. What a bizarre situation you are creating there.

If/When the child is born they should be afforded the same rights as anyone else.

But women are forced to remain pregnant in Ireland, regardless of their wishes. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Is it not your scalp/skin drying out and 'shrinking'?

Sorry for going OT!

Yeah, you're right! :o Sorry, and for going OT too...

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Bruthal wrote: »
    I dont think they are being ignored.

Its likely that doctors want to ensure they are not going outside the legal position if they turn off the machine, with regard to protection of life of the unborn. And so are seeking advice on it.

My point is that this shouldn't be a legal issue. The doctors should be able to respect the family's wishes without consulting a lawyer.

• Advertisement

But women are forced to remain pregnant in Ireland, regardless of their wishes. :confused:

No they're not. They can travel to the UK and get an abortion like many thousand have been doing for decades.

Yes we are. The state gives equal status to the woman as to a one day old foetus. If it didn't, doctors would make decisions based on clinical judgment and not supreme court rulings.

A states recognition of life at a certain point, does not mean that is in fact when life begins. They draw a line for practical purposes.

Clearly you agree with them so unconditionally, that you believe a feotus is not alive until the day the state says so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Its just a grotesque situation, there is jut something really creepy and unnatural about keeping a dead women on life support to incubate a foetus.

The family's behaviour is despicable in this case although perhaps they're not thinking straight.

I can't believe you said that. What a disgusting thing to say about a family in such grief. And why shouldn't they want this sick experiment on their dead daughter to end (sick, because at this early stage in a pregnancy, they're looking at very slim odds on a healthy outcome, and sick because it's against their wishes).

My point is that this shouldn't be a legal issue. The doctors should be able to respect the family's wishes without consulting a lawyer.

Maybe they should be able to.

But should they simply switch off a life support machine because a family member says so, without checking the legal consequences first?

Is the legal position so simple, that anyone should know their position in it?

I can't believe you said that. What a disgusting thing to say about a family in such grief. And why shouldn't they want this sick experiment on their dead daughter to end (sick, because at this early stage in a pregnancy, they're looking at very slim odds on a healthy outcome, and sick because it's against their wishes).

Should parents wishes always be paramount in medical situations?

No they're not. They can travel to the UK and get an abortion like many thousand have been doing for decades.

Don't be daft. Not everyone can afford that, or is even allowed out of the country. It's a shameful hypocrisy to say "they can go to the UK".

Bruthal wrote: »
    Should parents wishes always be paramount in medical situations?

The next of kin's wishes should be paramount when someone has died, yes - if the person hasn't been able to specify for themselves. In medical situations where consent can be given by the person receiving the medical care, no.

Obviously.

Where do you get these comparisons:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the "sick experiment" is trying to keep their grandchild alive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement