Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just found someone hiding in my garden shed

Options
  • 18-12-2014 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit shook up.
    I heard some noises outside the house so had a look out the front and found nothing. I then turned on the back garden light and looked out the kitchen window and could see that the shed door was a little bit open.
    I was in the shed earlier today and was certain I had closed it behind me.
    I got my wife out of bed and told her to get the phone and pre-dial 999 and stand at the kitchen door as I went out.
    I shouted at the shed and a man came out, about 21 years old or so would be my guess and about six foot tall and wearing a grey tracksuit.
    He started shouting that he was hiding from someone that had threatened to kill him.
    I asked why, and he said because of a phone he had, he showed a cardboard box with a phone in it. I asked him if he wanted us to call the Guards but he said no, he had already called them and they were not interested. Now I was seriously doubting his story and started shouting at him to get out (he had climbed over the side gate of the house) which he did eventually.

Our house is halfway down a cul de sac in a very quiet area so to say the least we are a bit shaken up by it.

Would anyone here bother calling the Gardai after that?, he seems to be gone now so not much for them to do.

I'll get a big lock for the shed tomorrow and put some barbed wire around the top of the side gate to hopefully prevent a re-occurrence of this.

My main fear is that we were being scoped out to be robbed so my wife is a little scared (as am I truth be told).

What would you do?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Call the Garda asap.. In you shed hiding?? If true someone could be running round with a gun after him.

Change the lock on your shed asap also and move any stuff of value out of it.

More than likely being robbed..

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Yes call the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Deffo call them now, fecker could be scoping out other houses now in your area, get on to the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Deffo call the guards, what area are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I‘d call the gardai tbh. Phone he had could be stolen.....

Like above a good lock on the shed, I wouldn't want strangers on my property like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks guys, just called the local station and they said they will send a car over and will have a look around the estate.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If he had a phone in a cardboard box that wasn't the origin as l phone packaging then that's a bit unusual surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Deffo call the garda. Hiding in your shed me hole.

If he had a phone in a cardboard box that wasn't the origin as l phone packaging then that's a bit unusual surely?

That's exactly what I thought too, who carries a brand new phone around at this time of night in a box without its orignal wrapping? I suspect it was robbed from under a xmas tree earlier :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Supercell wrote: »
    Thanks guys, just called the local station and they said they will send a car over and will have a look around the estate.

What general area? I'm thinking of my own shed :-)

• Advertisement

Loughlinstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

That's exactly what I thought too, who carries a brand new phone around at this time of night in a box without its orignal wrapping? I suspect it was robbed from under a xmas tree earlier :(

Thinking the same.. Watch out as there is lots of thefts going on around South Dublin in general. My own, usually crime free street has had 3 break-ins and numerous thefts of parts from cars etc (reg plates off cars and in my case half my motorbike)

Take note of anything unusual as it may come in handy later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Scum will often break in to sheds to get their hands on tools/ladders they can use to break in to a house.
    Better than getting stopped on their way by garda and being found equipped for burglary.
    (They'll also rob anything of value in the shed.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Ring the police and report it.there has been a spate of burglaries lately,comes with time of the
    year when the scumbags need to buy presents for their hellspawn.
    A couple of houses in my area have been done in the last 2 weeks and in broad daylight as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

Call the garda, give the best description you can. chances are he won't be back soon but you never know. they might keep a look out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

He was probably after nicking it. You should have bolted that door & then ring the cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Easy to say but my response (probably with something large and heavy in my hands) is "well now I'm gonna kill ya".

Ring the guards now.

Easy to say but my response (probably with something large and heavy in my hands) is "well now I'm gonna kill ya".

Ring the guards now.

When you have a wife and two small kids in the house, its not time to be a hero, I just wanted him gone away as soon as possible.
    I've since rang the garda and given them a description of him, hopefully that will be the last we see of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

You can't beat a good dog. Best alarm ever. It just discourages them altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Quazzie wrote: »

Why write a fairly large article about a prisoner and not mention his height or weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭davidrowe

Scum will often break in to sheds to get their hands on tools/ladders they can use to break in to a house.
    Better than getting stopped on their way by garda and being found equipped for burglary.
    (They'll also rob anything of value in the shed.)

Sometimes people might hide Christmas presents in a shed too. It pays to have them locked up as securely as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Whilst its still fresh in your mind, write down as full a description of him as you can for the gardai.
    I reckon the fact you interrupted and can identify him would mean you house is safe.
    No harm in taking extra precautions. Ensure all doors locked at all times and house perimeter alarm on even when you're home. Lights and TV/radio on when out as well. Get a large sensor light for gardens.

When you have a wife and two small kids in the house, its not time to be a hero, I just wanted him gone away as soon as possible.
    I've since rang the garda and given them a description of him, hopefully that will be the last we see of him.

Two kids fair enough but my wife would probably be the one he'd want to worry about. :pac:

Never be afraid to call the guards. Better they get the call and prioritise it than not get the call.

hfallada wrote: »
    Why write a fairly large article about a prisoner and not mention his height or weight?

TBH there are two fairly good pictures of him, I think that'd be enough to IH him without me getting my tape measure and scales out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

That's not the nicest of areas tbh l. Would've called the guards straight away and got him caught.

But tbh a 21 year old in a gray tracksuit in luoghlinstown is about half the population down there so won't be much hope there

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

I can't believe you would take the (lengthy) time to write your very long and detailed post wondering if you should ring the guards....and not just ring them straight away and see what they have to say ?? ..... first point of call finding someone in your shed is Boards ??.... seriously ?? .....is social media/forums the new 999 ?

cathalj wrote: »
    I can't believe you would take the (lengthy) time to write your very long and detailed post wondering if you should ring the guards....and not just ring them straight away and see what they have to say ?? ..... first point of call finding someone in your shed is Boards ??.... seriously ?? .....is social media/forums the new 999 ?

Well it wasn't a 999 situation , the fella was gone by the time I wrote it.

• Advertisement

That's not the nicest of areas tbh l. Would've called the guards straight away and got him caught.

But tbh a 21 year old in a gray tracksuit in luoghlinstown is about half the population down there so won't be much hope there

I think it was you in my shed what with your disparaging remarks about the fine area that is Loughlinstown (that's spelled with a capital L-o-u-g-h-l-i-n-s-t-o-w-n by the way)!!

Advertisement