Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just found someone hiding in my garden shed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Supercell wrote:
    Well it wasn't a 999 situation , the fella was gone by the time I wrote it.

I'm really not meaning to be smart, but that's exactly a 999 situation - you finding someone in the act of breaking into/trespassing your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

cathalj wrote: »
    I'm really not meaning to be smart, but that's exactly a 999 situation - you finding someone in the act of breaking into/trespassing your property.

I'm from "luoghlinstown" [sic] the toughest part of Ireland.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Phone in box = stolen Christmas present.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

the horse already bolted,should called guards straight away,he was looking to steal stuff

OP I am surprised your wife did not call the guards, with 999 predialled, and her seeing you had a trespasser. If it ever happens again go outside with a bat as these guys carry screwdrivers etc. If I were you I would invest in a guard dog also. We have two labs and although they bark if they hear someone, they are more watch dogs as I would not expect they would attack. We have been researching bulmastiffs and may even get a bitch, as they are supposed to be much more intelligent, if there is anyway we could tolerate two years of a female dog going into heat, as to mature properly, before neutering her. German sheperds are also good but I have heard it said are 10% mental 90% physical, making them more impulsive, where as bulmastifs are 60% mental 40% physical, thinking more and only acting when they have thought something through. A pure bred bulmastiff costs in excess of €1000, many cheaper off Done Deal etc are often supposed to develop health problems later on. You should also research a good alarm system and go with a monitored one if funds will allow. I have read radio monitored alarms are best as phone lines can be cut and some burglars here use GSM jammers to block alarms that take SIM cards. Burglar lights also good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

something similar happened in my garden around 1 am in the summer! heard something in the garden..looked out the top window and this gaunt looking guy with a hoodie sat on the fence between me and my neighbours house right beside my kitchen window..no hesitation I grabbed my gold club and ran straight down and he ran across the gardens..me still in my jocks I ran back in and put on some clothes and rang the guards.. got into my car and drove around the estate! down the road a little was another young family outside the door where they had seen the same.. They had rang the guards just before me! no exaggeration,it took the guards 30 mins (station is only 3 or 4 minute drive and especially at 1 am at night) to get down to us where 3 of them arrived in a guards car shaped like something clark griswald drove in the national lampoons, asked me and the other family a couple basic questions,drove around for 5 mins and back to the barracks! now I know the thief which what he was could have been well gone but me or that other young woman and man could have been murder and buried well before the guards arrived!! Although they could have been bothering people for road tax at that hour and making the effort for that!

Supercell wrote: »
    Cherrywood, Loughlinstown.

Seriously, I can't believe that you spoke to an intruder in your back garden and didn't call the guards!

I'm not sure how people can give out about gardai not doing their job when they don't ring them when a crime is in progress!
    Why didn't your OH ring when she saw you outside with them??

Guards could have photos of local criminals they could show you to identify thus person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

:(
    dusf wrote: »
    If I were you I would invest in a guard dog also. We have two labs and although they bark if they hear someone, they are more watch dogs as I would not expect they would attack. We have been researching bulmastiffs and may even get a bitch, as they are supposed to be much more intelligent, if there is anyway we could tolerate two years of a female dog going into heat, as to mature properly, before neutering her. German sheperds are also good but I have heard it said are 10% mental 90% physical, making them more impulsive, where as bulmastifs are 60% mental 40% physical, thinking more and only acting when they have thought something through. A pure bred bulmastiff costs in excess of €1000, many cheaper off Done Deal etc are often supposed to develop health problems later on.d.
    Oh please NO. Dogs Are NOT burglar alarms. As for DOGS and Donedeal. Please no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Always always call the guards if you suspect a crime. If you don't do it by calling 999 then be sure to get an incident number when ringing the Garda station to ensure it has been logged.

We wouldn't want the government happy that no one is calling in crimes thus making the crime figures lower than tue actually are!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OP, it would be worth having the number of your local Garda station on predial/contacts in your house and mobile phone too. Also recommend getting a torch with a very high intensity beam for just this kind of thing.

If you think barbed wire over your side gate is too much, get a tub of cheap grease in a car accessories shop and smear it all over the top of the gate and anywhere they could jump a wall or fence, re-do it every 4-6 months.

A lucky escape, he could have been downstairs. It's now time to go over your security to protect your family and property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

One of your neighbours has probably reported a brand new phone as stolen.

Chinasea wrote: »
    :(
    Oh please NO. Dogs Are NOT burglar alarms. As for DOGS and Donedeal. Please no.

No where in that post did I suggest dogs were burglar alarms, or a replacement for burglar alarms, in fact I went on to recommend an actual burglar alarm. Also, I cautioned AGAINST getting a dog from done deal and instead paying more for a pedigree from a breeder.

You should really read posts properly before deciding they are contrary to your own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭davidrowe

We should get the law clarified here the way it was recently done in the UK: that is, that's it okay to use "reasonable force" against an intruder. I wouldn't hesitate myself anyway, as I'm sure a judge worth their salt would always come down on the side of the victim in a home-invasion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭mrolaf

call the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

dusf wrote: »
    Also, I cautioned AGAINST getting a dog from done deal and instead paying more for a pedigree from a breeder.

Good.

Dogs are pets, not security devises IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Chinasea wrote: »
    Dogs are pets, not security devises IMO.
    Not all dogs are pets. Some are, but many dogs do invaluable jobs that no one else can do. A guard dog who is treated well and cared for by their owner can be very effective in crime prevention.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Not all dogs are pets. Some are, but many dogs do invaluable jobs that no one else can do. A guard dog who is treated well and cared for by their owner can be very effective in crime prevention.

Very true.

A dog can also be both a pet and a guard dog. If I had to choose between dog and alarm I am not sure which I would prefer but it definitely cannot hurt to have both.

Advertisement