Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Tralee Parking

Options
  • 18-12-2014 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Whats the story with Parking at or near the college? I was hoping I could drive there and back every day rather than renting a place nearby and walking/taking the bus, but are students allowed to park anywhere on campus? Could I rent a spot for the year or something? I'm not entirely sure what campus I'd be on, but I'll hopefully either be doing Multimedia or Games Development. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Multimedia and Games are both in the North Campus is which case parking shouldn't be a problem as there are spaces in the front and rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Computing with multimedia? God help you

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamieOS

How so? It seems to have pretty much the same modules as Games Development.

I'm a 4th year doing that course (I'd say the same if I was in games or software) it's just 4th year is nuts! Although I guess in the final year of any computing course.

siblers wrote: »
    I'm a 4th year doing that course (I'd say the same if I was in games or software) it's just 4th year is nuts! Although I guess in the final year of any computing course.

To be honest, I was considering the 3 year versions of the courses. I've got enough points and the subject requirements, I basically just wanted the option of finishing after 3 years. Can you opt for that if you start the 4 year course? Any idea how hard it is to get the extra add on year if you start the 3 year versions.

I might as well ask you about the course its self. Is it super focused on multimedia, or just pretty general with a small focus on multimedia? Is there a lot of Web design/development? I put the list of Subjects Thought from Qualifax side by side and labeled which ones are on all 3 courses (Games, Media, Mobile App), which ones are on two courses on not on one of the others and which subjects are exclusive. I'll see if I can put a screenshot of it below. It showed me that all 3 course are fairly similar in Subjects thought.

I'm just weighing up my options at the point and I'm leaning towards Games Development and shying away from Mobile App development. I've always been into games, and find the development process interesting. I've only ever really messed around with a few dev/mod tools for games. I also like some of the aspects of web development/design. I did work experience nearly 3 years ago for 3 days at a web design place and really enjoyed it. I had absolutely no experience, and they just dumped me into the beginning of some work. I just had to cope content from an old 90s-looking website and make it look pretty with Wordpress. They ended up using what I did (with some modifications) in the finished product, which was cool. I can't for the life of me thinks of the name of the website.

Anyway, enough rambling. I just woke up and couldn't get back to sleep, so sorry if I'm going on like a fool. Here is that screenshot and a bit of a description of whats going on with it.

Anything with a coloured dot on the left side, is in all 3 courses. Each colour corresponds to a subject in each semester (random colour). For example, Introduction to Programming in Semester 1 has a Red dot to make it easier to spot in the other two lists.

Anything with a coloured Line on the left is in two of the courses, but not the other. for example, The Purple line next to Introduction to Mobile Web Application Development in Semester 2 of the Multimedia and Mobile App courses. Its in those two, but not in Games Development.

Anything with that sort of Turquoise line on the right side of it is exclusive to that course. For example, Rapid Application Development Tools in Semester 1 of the Games development course. The only exception to this, is the 2D Animation which is in Semester 2 of Games Development and in Semester 4 of Multimedia.

Sorry if its a little confusing.

Looks like I can't post URLs yet, so just replace the "(dot)" with ".".

i(dot)imgur(dot)com/bOwlUKJ(dot)png

• Advertisement

You're better off doing a level 7, you need to get a 50% average to make it to level 8 (which is relatively simple as you have work placement to bump up your marks), if you sign up to level 8 and want to leave at level 7, I don't think you can get a merit or distinction, just a pass which can effect employment opportunities.

The course is 80% computer science, you only have one elective per semester which focuses on either game or app development. The dropout rate for games is extremley high because most people who sign up do so cause they like playing games but haven't a clue about coding or modelling etc. I haven't a clue about the app development stuff it's changed from the multimedia course. I can't help you with the unique Game modules as I haven't done them, for the ones in Media Development, I've done Animation in 2D and Interactive Web Media. 2d animation was fun but largely pointless as you only really learn the basic, Interactive Web Media should have been better (it's basically about how make sites that can fit all types of devices and using some javascript) I enjoyed it but that was down to my own work and not the way it was delivered.

All the modules that run across both courses are all computer science based like java, networking and databases. I'll be honest there's so many modules I'd be here all day going into detail so if you want to know about something specific you should ask.

siblers wrote: »
    You're better off doing a level 7, you need to get a 50% average to make it to level 8 (which is relatively simple as you have work placement to bump up your marks), if you sign up to level 8 and want to leave at level 7, I don't think you can get a merit or distinction, just a pass which can effect employment opportunities.

The course is 80% computer science, you only have one elective per semester which focuses on either game or app development. The dropout rate for games is extremley high because most people who sign up do so cause they like playing games but haven't a clue about coding or modelling etc. I haven't a clue about the app development stuff it's changed from the multimedia course. I can't help you with the unique Game modules as I haven't done them, for the ones in Media Development, I've done Animation in 2D and Interactive Web Media. 2d animation was fun but largely pointless as you only really learn the basic, Interactive Web Media should have been better (it's basically about how make sites that can fit all types of devices and using some javascript) I enjoyed it but that was down to my own work and not the way it was delivered.

All the modules that run across both courses are all computer science based like java, networking and databases. I'll be honest there's so many modules I'd be here all day going into detail so if you want to know about something specific you should ask.

I'd say I'll go for the level 7 so and think about the add on year when the time comes and once I've found about a bit more about the requirements and such. I'm going to weigh up the differences between Multimedia and Games Development based on the modules on the IT Tralee website.

Thanks for the help!

Read the Computing Students thread as well, will give you an idea of the types of ****e we've had to do over the 4 years

Advertisement