Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying co-worker

Options
  • 18-12-2014 6:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am just looking for advice on how to deal with co-worker.
    She has been there for about 6 years.I'm relatively new.
    I keep my head down and do my work.
    This one is v chattty, that's fine and could talk to customers for half an hour(cos she can.as I am running around doing everything.
    Being chatty doesn't annoy me, it's the way she makes out she is so busy when customers come in and makes faces to them in relation to me! First off I think it is very unprofessional but also childish.She is 55, I am 32.
    I wouldn't mind if I wasn't doing anything, but totally opposite.
    And then when customers are there she would make sure to tell me something which I know to do already.
    This a constant thing now.
    She only does it to me.Not to other woman who is in same age bracket as her.
    I just think it's bully like tactics. I just get on with my work.Don't say anything but the minute a customer is in the door she is full of telling me things I already know or trying to embarrass me if I didn't know.
    Oh we usually post those in front of customers etc. This could be said along with everything else when customers not there.
    She licks the bosses arse and all her relations/friends.
    Rant over.
    Thanks for advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Deep breaths - slow release.

Length of service carries some weight with management. BUT - prove yourself. Make sure you're on top of things and, over e.g. 3 months, begin to let your colleague know you're v competent.....

.....sometimes, it can be a long road....

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭king2

coworker wrote: »
    I am just looking for advice on how to deal with co-worker.
    She has been there for about 6 years.I'm relatively new.
    I keep my head down and do my work.
    This one is v chattty, that's fine and could talk to customers for half an hour(cos she can.as I am running around doing everything.
    Being chatty doesn't annoy me, it's the way she makes out she is so busy when customers come in and makes faces to them in relation to me! First off I think it is very unprofessional but also childish.She is 55, I am 32.
    I wouldn't mind if I wasn't doing anything, but totally opposite.
    And then when customers are there she would make sure to tell me something which I know to do already.
    This a constant thing now.
    She only does it to me.Not to other woman who is in same age bracket as her.
    I just think it's bully like tactics. I just get on with my work.Don't say anything but the minute a customer is in the door she is full of telling me things I already know or trying to embarrass me if I didn't know.
    Oh we usually post those in front of customers etc. This could be said along with everything else when customers not there.
    She licks the bosses arse and all her relations/friends.
    Rant over.
    Thanks for advice.

Be assertive, tell her you dont like the way she is treating you. It sounds like she is just an ordinary worker like you so she has no right to treat you like you say.Easier said than done I know but if you do it she will probably leave you alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Last in, that's why.
    Definitely a "power" thing, trying to make you feel little.
    If I were you I'd give as good as I got. I know you're only new but I work in retail, went through similar issues. Don't be a pushover. Give it back as good as you get it. And put her back in her box ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

Stepping back to breathe is good advice. First step in dealing with toxic co-workers is to identify them, evaluate what's really going on (eg. did you have an off day, if not what's this bitch's deal...) and thinking about how you're going to attack this.

Because if you leave it and pretend it doesn't exist, it will get worse. I agree with putting her back in her box but be careful how you do it.

If I could suggest the things you don't do? Don't confront her. She'll deny it and then accuse you of bullying her. Don't leave notes on her desk or email her. Don't whinge to others about her. It'll just make you look bad. People like this know how to operate effectively with management on their side.

Things I would suggest you consider doing.

1. Act confidently. Just do your job confident that you know what you're doing. Smile at her, say hello, be warm.

2. Pretend nothing is happening, don't let her think you're flustered by her. Ignore her childish behaviour. Putting your head down and doing your work is a good focus as long as she's not directly interfering with you. Smart remarks and funny looks in front of the customers will not go down well with the customer, trust me. They only make her look bad.

3. Arrange for someone you know to come in, observe her carry on then call her on it immediately before lodging a complaint with management. This tactic has worked very well for me in the past.

But I agree with Berger. It's a power trip.

Advertisement