Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visa debit blocked for online transactions?

Options
  • 18-12-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

HI,
    I got paid today (which is a big deal as I get paid monthly :)
    I tried to purchase some small stuff online this morning and they got rejected?
    I rang BOI and they told me that my card was blocked a few days ago for online purchases as my card was used in a skimmed machine?

I understand that this is to protect my card but would have at least expected a phone call to tell me?
    This is a major inconvenience given the week thats in it.
    I had a few last minute presents to get online and I can't now as I am waiting for a new card to come out.

Can I still use my card for ATM withdrawals and chip and pin transactions?
    Thanks.
    Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi sham69, 

Thank you for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie. 

If, due to Skimming your card is blocked to non chip and pin transactions which would include Online, your card will still operate normally at domestic ATM's and point of sale.

While our dedicated security team provide a 24 hour monitoring service, it is not always possible to call each customer directly in this situation however, they will always issue a letter to advise of this.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused due to this and we will ensure to forward your feedback to the relevant area.

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Thanks for the reply.
    While I was waiting for reply I went out and tried my card and could indeed take cash from the ATM.
    I made another call and was told it is ONLY non pin transactions that are blocked.
    So it only stops me from online transactions.
    Thanks again for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi sham69, 

That's great news and we're delighted to hear this. 

We hope you enjoy your Christmas Shopping and have a Merry Christmas. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Hi sham69, 

That's great news and we're delighted to hear this. 

We hope you enjoy your Christmas Shopping and have a Merry Christmas. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine
    Same to you and thanks again.

Advertisement