Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brachycephalic breeds

• 18-12-2014 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭

I was going to post this in the off topic thread but thought it might make a topic for owners and observers of the breeds in question.

I've had a couple of boxers here this week and I have to say listening to them snuffle and snort with their breathing makes me so sad frown.png. Nothing against boxers, but I'm at a loss to know why or how brachycephalic skulls have become "breed standard". Looking back at bulldogs from a century ago just shows that aesthetics have overtaken working ability, but still - why? Why is a short nose more attractive given the obvious health drawbacks?

I know the same question could be asked about any dog with exaggerated features (like the GSD sloped back) but listening to a dog sounding so blocked up and snuffly makes me question everything about dog breeding, even responsible breeders, why breed dogs that can so easily suffer with something as essential to life as breathing? (along with heat retention and eye problems and everything else that is associated with short nosed breeds)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think there are very few pedigree breeds that don't have some sort of congenital problems.

I really, really cannot understand why anyone would fork out massive money on a pedigree dog when there are so many rescue dogs and beautiful mixes out there.

Of course I fully understand why breeders breed these dogs - money and prestige - but I don't see why people buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I think there are very few pedigree breeds that don't have some sort of congenital problems.

I really, really cannot understand why anyone would fork out massive money on a pedigree dog when there are so many rescue dogs and beautiful mixes out there.

Of course I fully understand why breeders breed these dogs - money and prestige - but I don't see why people buy them.

That's not really what I was asking. I know about the various breed specific diseases, but I'm asking specifically about why breed short nosed breeds given that their breathing, which is essential for mammals to survive is compromised due to aesthetics.

You could say that the health implications for cross breeds is as much pot luck as puppy farmed dogs. When you think about it, the likelyhood of genetic illnesses or diseases being present is increased - no responsible breeder - ie somebody who will health test for breed specific conditions will cross breeds - they're the product of "accidents", somebody deliberately mixing two pedigrees (without a thought to the health implications) to get a "designer dog" or somebody who is irresponsible enough to let their pet out roaming and unneutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

If you take bull dogs as an example they were bred to fight bulls so a wide flat face was ideal so they could hang onto the bull with their powerful jaws...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I have a brachycephalic breed - a Shih Tzu. His breathing's fine, but he is prone to sneezing fits and 'asthma' attacks when he get too excited and doesn't breathe properly. I also do my bit to help his breathing by keeping his weight down as much as I can, and not making him too hot, especially in the summer. However - Shih Tzu and Lhasa Apsos are very hardy breeds living 15 - 17 years on average.

Not really sure there's much more that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

I have a brachycephalic breed - a Shih Tzu. His breathing's fine, but he is prone to sneezing fits and 'asthma' attacks when he get too excited and doesn't breathe properly. I also do my bit to help his breathing by keeping his weight down as much as I can, and not making him too hot, especially in the summer. However - Shih Tzu and Lhasa Apsos are very hardy breeds living 15 - 17 years on average.

Hey, we also have a shih tzu who snorts and has those strange breathing fits. I've read you can teach them to breathe through their mouths when that breathing problem occurs.. It doesn't happen much any more, I reckon it's because she's more comfortable with her lot now - we got her from the pound. :)

• Advertisement

daUbiq wrote: »
    If you take bull dogs as an example they were bred to fight bulls so a wide flat face was ideal so they could hang onto the bull with their powerful jaws...

And those bulldogs were a taller, leaner, longer nosed version of the bulldogs that are being bred today. Look at the skull formation in the link below, how far the snout has recessed in just 50 years.

http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/nose-and-throat/what-is-a-brachycephalic-dog/

Now they can't breathe, can't regulate heat properly, have numerous skin and other health issues and most bitches can't even whelp without surgical intervention. :(

An outcross programme, similar to what was done with dalmatians to lessen their genetic disposition to overproduce uric acid is a possibility. Not a dalmatian of course but a dog similar in size in stature to whatever breed needs the most help. Bulldogs spring to mind as the breed that needs the most help.

http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.ie/2011/03/fiona-at-crufts-win-for-breed.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

daUbiq wrote: »
    Hey, we also have a shih tzu who snorts and has those strange breathing fits. I've read you can teach them to breathe through their mouths when that breathing problem occurs.. It doesn't happen much any more, I reckon it's because she's more comfortable with her lot now - we got her from the pound. :)

Reverse sneezing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No. My dog has full on sneezing, complete with dog snot!! Does it when he gets excited...

When he starts snorting, I push his head on to his chest to ease it. My old groomer taught me that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Reverse sneezing can easily be stopped by lightly pinching the top of their noses which opens the airway slightly. I don't like seeing my two Shih Tzu's getting uncomfortable when it happens to them.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Another example of a brachycepahlic breed in the making ...one that you wouldn't necessarily suspect:

Meet "Barry", the original St. Bernard, credited with saving some 40 lives:

20060621%200010%20musee%20chiems%20saint%20bernard%20barry%20martigny.jpg

Some hundred years and several 'Beethoven' movies later, the St. Bernard has been made totally unfit for purpose by having been bred into an overweight colossus

bernhardiner_kurzhaar01.jpg
    info_bernhardiner.jpg

The latest trend now is to focus on the face and make it more "appealing" by pushing the nose in:

saintbernard_show.jpg

saint-bernard-schwarzwald1.jpg

If this trend continues, not only will the St. Bernard be unable to move ...it won't be able to breathe properly anymore...even when just lounging about

Advertisement