Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on broken heating system needed.

• 18-12-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Our heating stopped working a while back but made do without it till now. Would like it fixed for Christmas. Had a guy look at it and his advice was the tank was too low so our oil wasn't flowing down (we don't fill it up due to emtying of tanks locally) so we sorted that but still not working. Now he says it's the burner. It's turning on but not catching if you know what i mean? We tried the reset button and freeing it with the allen key but no joy.
    Anything else it cud be? or if it is the burner, how much will it cost to get sorted. Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

my advice would be to get somebody that knows oil burners

its very unusual for a complete burner to need replacing

replacing a burner is a handy way out if you don't know how to fix or diagnose the issue in the first place

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

A lot depends on the expertise of the "guy" who looked at it.
    If he had the proper expertise, he would have been able to tell you if there was enough oil at the pump.
    It is difficult to diagnose from afar. If your burner has been allowed to often run out of oil and then oil gotten and bled, then it may be a damaged pump. If that is the case, you would be looking at between €150-€200 to fix it. Price would depend on how recent and how well it was serviced.

It may be something simpler. But would need hands on to check.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Thanks. the guy was a friend of my husbands-retired plumber- and he did advise us to get someone who knows heating systems in. i was hoping it was the pump aswell myself but just wanted to see what I'd be looking at pricewise if i needed a new burner before I call the professionals. will call someone tomorrow. thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Pump...solonide....coil....photocell..... control box....motor.....capacator..... nozzle.....electrodes.....filter....water....
    tuening.

Has to be one of the above !

But as my buddys have already said, it's very easy for an experenced engineer to solve, shouldn't take 5 miniutes to find what's at fault, most times!!

scudo2 wrote: »
    Pump...solonide....coil....photocell..... control box....motor.....capacator..... nozzle.....electrodes.....filter....water....
    tuening.

Has to be one of the above !

But as my buddys have already said, it's very easy for an experenced engineer to solve, shouldn't take 5 miniutes to find what's at fault, most times!!

id say your spot on as usual with you diagnosis scudo :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Could be a hair on the mag

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Could be a hair on the mag

I don't think we are allowed be this technical on a public forum :P

Advertisement