Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperately Seeking.... Blade Mace

• 18-12-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi there,

I live in Blessington and am trying to find somewhere that might sell blade mace. I use it to infuse milk with onion studded with cloves, bay leaves and peppercorns to make bread sauce on Christmas Day.

Would anyone have any suggestions please?

Many thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've bought mace in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Archaeoliz

Was it recently? I tried the huge Tesco Extra in Naas but had no luck....

I moved over from UK in July so going to the Tesco I last bought it from in Cambridge, unfortunately, isn't an option ;o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not that familiar with what shops there are in Blessington, but I think there's a Dunnes Stores, no? Any large supermarket should have it really, but if you use it a lot and are ever in Dublin city centre there are plenty of Asian stores that will have it, and much cheaper too.

EDIT: I've just had a look and I have a 100g bag of it I got in a local Chinese shop here in Bray. "East End" is the brand, with a purple label, which is the brand of spices stocked by most of the Asian stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I think I saw some recently in the Asia Market on Drury St., Dublin.

Or you could maybe substitute a chunk of whole nutmeg, so you'd get a similar flavour without mottling your sauce with the ground spice?

I think I saw some recently in the Asia Market on Drury St., Dublin.
    Yes, they have it in pretty much all of the Asian stores in with the other spices.

• Advertisement

I didn't think it was that much of an unusual ingredient to be looking for so that's great to hear that it should be about.

There is a Dunnes, Aldi, SuperValu and Centra all in Blessington. I couldn't find it in any of them, so tried the big Tesco and the healthfood shop (who deserve a special mention as they offered to order some but could only order ground mace rather than whole).

Thanks though. I'll try the supermarkets one last time before I head into town.

Or you could maybe substitute a chunk of whole nutmeg, so you'd get a similar flavour without mottling your sauce with the ground spice?

Nice thinking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Good stuff, hope you get sorted. Christmas dinner wouldn't be Christmas dinner without bread sauce!

I just did a search on Tesco's online shopping site there for 'mace' and it didn't return any results, so maybe they don't have it after all.

Thanks All....Now I've got some direction I'm off on the hunt.

Happy Christmas!

Liz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

OP did you go to the Health Food Store on the Main street in Blessington. they may have it

lucylu wrote: »
    OP did you go to the Health Food Store on the Main street in Blessington. they may have it

I did, funnily enough! They would have been able to order ground mace but not whole. Very helpful and kind in there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Alun wrote: »
    I'm not that familiar with what shops there are in Blessington, but I think there's a Dunnes Stores, no? Any large supermarket should have it really, but if you use it a lot and are ever in Dublin city centre there are plenty of Asian stores that will have it, and much cheaper too.

EDIT: I've just had a look and I have a 100g bag of it I got in a local Chinese shop here in Bray. "East End" is the brand, with a purple label, which is the brand of spices stocked by most of the Asian stores.

sorry, slightly off topic, but where in Bray is the Asian store? I might try them to se if they sell pancake's

ellejay wrote: »
    sorry, slightly off topic, but where in Bray is the Asian store? I might try them to se if they sell pancake's
    On Main Street between the junction with Herbert Road and the river, opposite the Royal Hotel if you know where that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭tc20

there's an Asian supermarket also on the Albert Walk, a minute from the dart station

Advertisement