Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's All Going To End In Tears...

• 18-12-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

An MTBer in a previous life, I'm venturing onto the road for the first time. Over a decade off the bike - asides from a few half arsed attempts in recent years - so it's going to be a struggle to shed weight and regain fitness and confidence. More importantly, I just want to enjoy my cycling again.

We go again...

---

Road bike: 2014 Giant Defy 2
    MTB: 2005 DMR Trailstar LT

---

Date: Thursday December 18th 2014
    Distance: 6.6KM
    Time: 28:19
    Average Speed: 14KM/H
    Elevation: 68M
    Weight: 112KG
    Weather: Rain, wind.
    Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/230499822

Notes:

My first ever ride on a dedicated road bike. Surprised how comfortable it was, asides from when the road got rough. The weather was a bit off putting, but with echoes of 'rule #5' in my head, I gave it a go anyways. The last time I attempted this route was on my MTB and in ideal conditions. My time that day was around the 32 minute mark. Today, I was four minutes quicker despite the conditions and a more gentle approach and an extra KG of weight. It was also the first time I've managed the climb without bailing and walking. That was hugely satisfying as I never thought I'd manage that on my first attempt back in the saddle. I might like this road bike business after all...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Date: Friday December 19th 2014
    Distance: 7.0KM
    Time: 23:46
    Average Speed: 17.8KM/H
    Elevation: 70M
    Weather: Dry, cold, wind.
    Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/230761892

Notes:

Non-eventful ride, tried to choose a similar enough route to yesterday's but in a different direction. Have a severe dose of saddle arse at the minute, even with padded shorts, but I know that will ease over time. Still, that one drain cover I hit almost made me cry in agony. Won't be able to get out again until Tuesday, but happy I got a spin in yesterday and today.

Still very lightheaded and dizzy when I get off the bike at the end, immediately need to sit down or else I feel like I'm going to collapse. Any ideas what's causing this? I had the same yesterday but put it down to not having a breakfast in the morning. Had a decent breakfast this morning (bowl of porridge) about an hour beforehand so don't think it's that. FWIW, I'm fine on the bike, it's just when I get home and dismount.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kildare snooker

Are u sweating a lot during it? could be electrolytes low, i too had the same feeling when trying to exercise and shift weight, id sweat a lot from the excess weight etc and didn't have enough salts in my body so would feel dizzy after, try a half tablet of eltryolyte mixed with ur water bottle and sip on it during ur exercise. really works. high5 do a zero cal tablets,i brake them in half and put them in my bottle,one half tablet does me.

Conor :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Maybe do 5 mins of gentle warmdown before getting off the bike, just cycle gently round the block a couple of times get the HR and breathing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Make sure you drink regularly on your spins, a mouthful will do every few minutes to keep you hydrated and for longer spins take a banana or cereal bar with you for additional energy boost.

Date: Tuesday December 23rd 2014 - Wimp Ride #1
    Bike: Reebok Z9
    Distance: 10.9KM
    Time: 25:02
    Average Speed: 26.12KM/H
    Elevation: 0M
    Weather: NA
    Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/232238752

Notes:

Wimp ride number one out of the way. I wasn't able to get out on the road over the weekend as I was away. Was pretty motivated to get out this morning - a package of goods from Planet X only added that enthusiasm - but with the weather being as it was, I didn't feel confident enough to venture out. Hopefully can get a pre-Christmas spin in tomorrow. I'm honestly enjoying the spins so far, hopefully that will continue.

• Advertisement

Date: Monday December 29rd 2014 - Wimp Ride #2
    Distance: 10.8KM
    Time: 25:09
    Average Speed: 25.76KM/H
    Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/234124573

Notes:

Waited all morning for the ice to thaw on the roads, but ended up going for a quick spin inside again. Looking forward to actually going somewhere tomorrow, although watching documentaries whilst sweating isn't the worst thing in the world.

Date: Tuesday December 30th 2014
    Bike: Giant Defy 2
    Distance: 7.1KM
    Time: 27:27
    Average Speed: 15.6KM/H
    Elevation: 58M
    Weather: Dry, light wind.
    Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/234466410

Notes:

Great to get back out on the road again, such an enjoyment compared to the exercise bike. Tried out a new route today which turned out to be quite pleasant, away from traffic and a constant mix of small climbs & descents.

Following others advice, I tried to take a drink more often from the bottle and took it a little easier before stopping, but I'm still getting light headed & dizzy. I noticed that even when I stopped for my first drink (only a couple of seconds) I could feel the light headedness coming on. It goes away once I start back again. Hopefully something that will fade away once my fitness starts improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Date: Tuesday December 30th 2014
    Distance: 7.1KM
    Time: 27:27
    Average Speed: 15.6KM/H
    Elevation: 58M
    Weather: Dry, light wind.
    Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/234466410

Notes:

Great to get back out on the road again, such an enjoyment compared to the exercise bike. Tried out a new route today which turned out to be quite pleasant, away from traffic and a constant mix of small climbs & descents.

Following others advice, I tried to take a drink more often from the bottle and took it a little easier before stopping, but I'm still getting light headed & dizzy. I noticed that even when I stopped for my first drink (only a couple of seconds) I could feel the light headedness coming on. It goes away once I start back again. Hopefully something that will fade away once my fitness starts improving.

I know medical advice is not allowed here but get your blood pressure checked..

Keep up the good work, imagine doing the above cycle in June @ 20 degrees.

not yet wrote: »
    I know medical advice is not allowed here but get your blood pressure checked..

Keep up the good work, imagine doing the above cycle in June @ 20 degrees.

Only got it done recently and everything was good. Doctor said the only thing against me was the extra weight I'm carrying. Non-drinker, non-smoker too. I've an Edge 500 coming shortly with a HRM, so might be able to learn a little bit more than that. Thanks for the advice :)

Only got it done recently and everything was good. Doctor said the only thing against me was the extra weight I'm carrying. Non-drinker, non-smoker too. I've an Edge 500 coming shortly with a HRM, so might be able to learn a little bit more than that. Thanks for the advice :)

No bother, Put on a few kgs myself in December, need to get out more..

• Advertisement

Date: Saturday January 3rd 2014
    Distance: 7KM
    Time: 23:03
    Average Speed: 18.2KM/H
    Elevation: 70M
    Weight: 110.2KG
    Weather: Cold, wet.
    Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/236083869

Notes:

I got the all clear from my Doctor yesterday who diagnosed my dizziness post-ride as a balance / inner-ear issue. I've been smothering with a head cold and cough all week, so knew in advance that this would be a tough enough spin. Outbound was very tough and felt really slow. I made the mistake of trying to freewheel for a bit, which nearly killed me when I tried to start spinning again. Got over it and got a second wind shortly after, posting two PRs on the return journey. Also happy to note I've dropped 1.8KGs over the Christmas period since getting back in the saddle again.

I know these aren't huge distances or efforts compared to some, but they feel like massive mountains to me at this stage. Really enjoying the rides so far :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I know these aren't huge distances or efforts compared to some, but they feel like massive mountains to me at this stage. Really enjoying the rides so far :)

Keep on spinning. You'll be up to epic distances in no time. Fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

It's the same for everyone, relatively speaking. It doesn't get easier. It gets further or faster or both. Once you enjoy it and get something from it, that's all that counts. Patience and persistence are key.
    daragh_ wrote: »
    Keep on spinning. You'll be up to epic distances in no time. Fair play :)

+1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I started exactly where you are a few years back, weighing 110kg, now weigh 70kg and race at A3 level.

Just keep plugging away and setting yourself achievable targets to aim for, maybe set yourself a target of doing a short sportif in the early summer, something up to 50km and then once you manage that set yourself another target for early Autumn. I started at a similar time of the year to you and set myself a Target of doing the Kelly Coast 90km ride part of the Sean Kelly Tour in the September.

You can see the progress you are making already, your average speed is going up, and the weight is coming down, maybe add in a longer spin of 15-20km at the weekends in the coming weeks, doesn't matter if you stop for a coffee and a breather half way, slowly build up the spins.

Anyways best of luck with it, and keep at it, the results will take care of themselves.

Date: Monday January 5th 2015 - Wimp Ride #3
    Distance: 16.10KM
    Time: 38:03
    Average Speed: 25.3KM/H
    Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/237172094

Notes:

Completely wimped out of a ride yesterday with a head cold. It started lifting this morning, but with work today I only managed to squeeze in some spinning this evening. Better than sitting down I guess.

On another note, really appreciate all the words of encouragement and helpful advise that I'm getting here. It's definitely given me more to think about and a future to focus on, rather than just aimlessly spinning. I'm working on setting goals for 2015 which I'll share in this thread quite shortly :)

Date: Tuesday January 6th 2015
    Distance: 10.4KM
    Time: 38:43
    Average Speed: 16.2KM/H
    Elevation: 76M
    Weather: Dry, cool.
    Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/237481570

Notes:

One of the few cycling benefits of where I live, is that there's nearly an endless combination of routes that I can alternate between or combine depending on my mood. Took a long route home today, which turned out to be far more vertical than I anticipated. Still, nothing like the feeling of getting to the top of a hill that previously I would have walked.

Also had my first Canine Interval Training session; probably why I was able to get the whole way up the hill in the first place!

Date: Thursday January 8th 2015
    Distance: 14.3KM
    Time: 48:31
    Average Speed: 17.6KM/H
    Elevation: 130M
    Weight: 112.6KG
    Weather: Dry, cool, light wind.
    Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/238337479

Notes:

So, my biggest ride on the Defy so far and certainly my longest ride in the saddle too. I looped together two routes I've previously completed so at least I knew what I was in for. Didn't find it too bad, although I started to get quite saddle sore about three quarters of the way through, like a chafing sort of feeling near my perineum. Found it difficult to get comfortable at that stage so the last part was a little tougher than it should have been.

This was my first spin with my Garmin & HRM. If anyone is interested at looking at my cadence / HR etc. and providing feedback, it would be much appreciated!

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the spin. A bit disappointed with recent weight gain, although I'm more disappointed that I won't get out again until Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭nilhg

Since you asked just a couple of quick observations on your HR and cadence, first up your highest HR was at your highest speed of the spin, going downhill, I'm not sure whether that was intentional and you like the speed or it was nerves.... Other than that you seem to have paced it well enough.

On your cadence averaging 64 and with sections below 50 is probably putting you under pressure, I'd suggest dropping a couple of gears and concentrating spinning the legs faster, at first it'll seem harder on your lungs and HR but you'll soon adjust, as you increase distances and take on bigger hills you'll need to be doing this.

nilhg wrote: »
    Since you asked just a couple of quick observations on your HR and cadence, first up your highest HR was at your highest speed of the spin, going downhill, I'm not sure whether that was intentional and you like the speed or it was nerves.... Other than that you seem to have paced it well enough.

On your cadence averaging 64 and with sections below 50 is probably putting you under pressure, I'd suggest dropping a couple of gears and concentrating spinning the legs faster, at first it'll seem harder on your lungs and HR but you'll soon adjust, as you increase distances and take on bigger hills you'll need to be doing this.

That's great advice, thank you!

And, yes. I do love speed :)

hey Paddy its conor here,
    the man above is spot on,instead of trying to churn out big gears drop a few gears and get your cadence up,ideally 90rpm in any gear,at first to get this you will find your speed or average speed will drop but stick with it as its the best for burning fat and building endurance,you will notice that your cycles will last longer eventually to and thats when cycling really becomes a love affair,going for nice long spins and exploring different roads and routes.

• Advertisement

That's awesome advice Conor, thanks. Going to start doing a couple of high cadence spins on the trainer this week to ease myself into it. Would the fact that I'm going slow in big gears explain why I'm only really feeling the burn on the top of my thighs, don't think I can ever remember feeling any strain in my calfs?

Could be saddle height that's causing a thigh burn feel, try a very basic bike fit, u with all your fancy camera equipment will be able to do it at home no bother. Handy YouTube video below to explain how.
    http://youtu.be/1VYhyppWTDc

Date: Monday January 12th 2015 - HIIT
    Distance: 10.8KM
    Time: 22:02
    Average Speed: 29.4KM/H
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/240191135

Notes:

I know I'm going to struggle to get time on the bike this week, so decided to make the most of any opportunities. Spent around 20 minutes this evening working on my cadence. Five minutes warming up (~65RPM), followed by five minutes of 90-100RPM, five minutes breather and another five minutes of ~100RPM before a brief cool down. It was a bit arseways TBH, but will try something more structured the next time.

I thought it was interesting though that despite the spinning, my max HR was only around 165BPM. I think I peaked last week at 184BPM during a downhill run which I perceived to be quite easy. Just something I thought was a bit funny.

2015 Goals
    1. 20K Ride
    2. 30K Ride by 29th Birthday (February 10th)
    3. 50K Ride
    4. 1,500KM for Year
    5. Target Weight: 90KGs
    6. Increase Average Cadence to 90RPM

You're dead right to take any opportunity you can get, I'm no expert but I'm firmly of the opinion that people starting off cycling, especially if you are not fit from another sport, gain a lot from regular short spins (even if they are on the turbo), they might not build much in the way of fitness but they do accustom the rear end and your leg muscles to being on the bike, and when you build up to longer spins that shouldn't be an issue.

2015 Goals
    1. 20K Ride
    2. 30K Ride by 29th Birthday (February 10th)
    3. 50K Ride
    4. 1,500KM for Year
    5. Target Weight: 90KGs
    6. Increase Average Cadence to 90RPM

I can only speak from my own personal experience and from watching one or two lads who started off with our club but I think it won't be long till you need to up some of those targets. I was very similar to you (even the bag full of expensive camera gear) but a bit older and found the first 6/8 weeks very hard, everything hurt and it was hard to see much progress, but eventually things fell into place and even though I was far from fast I was able to pootle along at my own pace comfortably, it's a great feeling when that happens.

sign up for a sportive,your lucky in your neck of the woods there are so many great ones to choose from,some of the distances might look crazy now but if you pick one and commit to it for spring/summer it really helps you training wise knowing that you have a goal to aim towards,it also means that your first ride of significant distance will be in a sportive with lots of atmosphere and fun etc and feel a accompaniment once finished.
    Great work on the cadence and keep at it,also don't worry about your heart rate not going as high as the downhill,as much as you have experience from mountain biking going downhill,your heart rate the time on the road bike going down hill would of raised a lot from being nervous on a new bike etc.

Date: Friday January 16th 2015 - HIIT #2
    Distance: 21.3KM
    Time: 50:06
    Average Speed: 25.4KM/H
    Weight: 110.4KG
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/241811829

Notes:

Off the bike - in either form - since Monday, flat out with work all week including driving to and from Dublin / Waterford on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. I started tracking my calories this week, and eating a bit healthier again which has helped with a little weight loss although I think today's weigh-in is a little dubious.

This evening, tried a more structured approach to the trainer to continue my efforts to increase my cadence:

5 minutes: Warm up, 65RPM
    5 minutes: ~165BPM, 90RPM Target
    5 minutes: ~135BPM, 65RPM
    5 minutes: ~165BPM, 90RPM Target
    5 minutes: ~135BPM, 65RPM
    5 minutes: ~170BPM, 90RPM Target
    5 minutes: ~135BPM, 75RPM
    3 minutes: ~170BPM, 95RPM Target
    2 minutes: ~135BPM, 75RPM
    2 minutes: ~170BPM, 100RPM Target
    3 minutes: ~135BPM, 75RPM
    1 minutes: ~175BPM, 105RPM Target
    4 minutes: ~135BPM, 75RPM

That was the plan and recorded mostly from memory, but I think it's accurate enough as I found my HR to be quite consistent. Having a structure in place definitely makes the trainer more bearable, as did having Sonic Highways on the iMac on front of me Hope to get out for a casual spin over the weekend, time to relax for the evening...

Date: Thursday February 5th 2015 - Wimp Ride #4
    Distance: 10.01KM
    Time: 20:55
    Average Speed: 28.68KM/H
    Weight: 110.9KG
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/250770900

Notes:

Yeah, I've been slacking as of late. Little bit of background though, I'm self employed so when work comes up, it has to be grabbed with both hands. I don't work, I don't earn a living. Still, it's no real excuse and something I try not to get in the way.

Just a quick and easy enough spin this evening to see how I fare after a couple of weeks off the bike, wasn't as disastrous as I thought it would be. I really just wanted a gentle warm up before hitting the road tomorrow for 14/15KM to gain a better idea of how much I've fallen behind. One of my goals is to complete 30KM by Tuesday of next week, which is now looking like a bigger mountain than it did a few weeks ago...

Date: Friday February 6th 2015
    Distance: 14.6KM
    Time: 49:36
    Average Speed: 17.6KM/H
    Elevation: 145M
    Weight: 110.9KG
    Weather: Dry, cold, medium wind.
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/251071815

Notes:

Decided to gauge just how much I've fallen behind by re-riding my longest / toughest route from last month. Whilst the numbers are still comparable, my average cadence increased from 60RPM to 72RPM while my average HR dropped from 168BPM to 166BPM. Average speed is identical, despite a marginally longer route and slightly more elevated route (decided to take a short detour along the way for a photograph)

The main difference was that by the end, I had absolutely nothing left in the tank. Even the last couple of hills up to the house were torturous, really didn't think I'd make it without dismounting and walking. For the first time, I found the bike really uncomfortable too. Saddle sore & a pain in my right knee & thigh. I'll take a look at saddle height / position again later on today.

Anyways, I'll try not to leave it so long between rides the next time...

• Advertisement

Date: Tuesday February 10th 2015
    Distance: 16.9KM
    Time: 51:55
    Average Speed: 19.5KM/H
    Elevation: 96M
    Weight: 111.4KG
    Weather: Dry, cold.
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/253110204

Notes:

Today was to be the day of scratching off my first goal, but it just wasn't to be. I had a nice 32KM route picked, pretty flat but should have been enjoyable enough. I was about 5KM in when I got my first puncture. Stopped, changed tube and got away again pretty quickly and was relatively straightforward after that. I'm anticipating hills a lot better now, using the gears more appropriately to try keep my cadence up. At the 15KM mark, I stopped due to another puncture. Took it out, repaired the tube but just as I was finished inflating it, the tip of the valve broke. I thought it might hold as there was still some of the valve in place stopping the air escaping, but it only lasted another 2KM or so. I tried repairing the first tube, but couldn't get it to hold air at all so had to call for recovery at this stage.

Really demoralised by today. Not so much the flats, just the fact that I felt strong and couldn't continue. I've been working towards this goal for so long and had everything held together, I'm confident I would have made it back in good enough shape. I'm a little OCD about things, so when I realised that I couldn't make it back, it took a lot out of me.

I've chilled out a bit now and just about to head back out to the garage to put two new Gatorskins on, so hopefully will get some enthusiasm back from it.

C'est la vie.

Date: Tuesday February 10th 2015
    Distance: 16.9KM
    Time: 51:55
    Average Speed: 19.5KM/H
    Elevation: 96M
    Weight: 111.4KG
    Weather: Dry, cold.
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/253004646

Notes:

Today was to be the day of scratching off my first goal, but it just wasn't to be. I had a nice 32KM route picked, pretty flat but should have been enjoyable enough. I was about 5KM in when I got my first puncture. Stopped, changed tube and got away again pretty quickly and was relatively straightforward after that. I'm anticipating hills a lot better now, using the gears more appropriately to try keep my cadence up. At the 15KM mark, I stopped due to another puncture. Took it out, repaired the tube but just as I was finished inflating it, the tip of the valve broke. I thought it might hold as there was still some of the valve in place stopping the air escaping, but it only lasted another 2KM or so. I tried repairing the first tube, but couldn't get it to hold air at all so had to call for recovery at this stage.

Really demoralised by today. Not so much the flats, just the fact that I felt strong and couldn't continue. I've been working towards this goal for so long and had everything held together, I'm confident I would have made it back in good enough shape. I'm a little OCD about things, so when I realised that I couldn't make it back, it took a lot out of me.

I've chilled out a bit now and just about to head back out to the garage to put two new Gatorskins on, so hopefully will get some enthusiasm back from it.

C'est la vie.
    +1 On the gators.

+1 On the gators.

They're fitted now and inflated to 110PSI, first time inflating the tires with a proper pump since I got the bike. Guess it was only a matter of time before this happened, as going by feel, the tires were probably only ever inflated to a max of 80PSI...

They're fitted now and inflated to 110PSI, first time inflating the tires with a proper pump since I got the bike. Guess it was only a matter of time before this happened, as going by feel, the tires were probably only ever inflated to a max of 80PSI...

I'd recommend 120 if your over 100kg..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I'd hit the 120 too if you can hit it. Good to see you getting up the KM!
    Yeah, I've been slacking as of late. Little bit of background though, I'm self employed so when work comes up, it has to be grabbed with both hands. I don't work, I don't earn a living. Still, it's no real excuse and something I try not to get in the way.

It's a pain in the arse, isn't it? I'm only back on the bike this evening (Kind of. It's stuck on the trainer) after a rush of work since the start of the year, and I've got 10 days until I'm away again for a week.

I'm probably going back down to Waterford again after that if you fancy doing the 20km/30km together? Always easier with someone alongside you.

Date: Tuesday February 17th 2015
    Distance: 31.8KM
    Time: 1:42:24
    Average Speed: 18.6KM/H
    Elevation: 153M
    Weight: 111.0KG
    Weather: Dry, mild.
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/256155514/overview

Notes:

A week later and finally able to strike off two of my goals. Only two months ago I was struggling to do 6KM and today I've broken 30KM for the first time. It was tough enough and I think I spent too much energy on the way out, as on the return I was trying to conserve as much as I could for the final 2KM uphill back home. Still, I made it. It's my longest ever time in the saddle, longest ever distance and toughest ever ride. I really focused on my cadence and and working the gears a lot better than I have done previously, but can still see areas where I can improve without massive effort.

Best of all? No f*cking punctures.

2015 Goals - Updated
    1. 20K Ride
    2. 30K Ride
    3. 50K Ride
    4. 80K Ride
    5. 100K Ride
    6. 1,500KM for Year
    7. Target Weight: 90KGs
    8. Increase Average Cadence to 90RPM

• Advertisement

OldBean wrote: »
    I'd hit the 120 too if you can hit it. Good to see you getting up the KM!

It's a pain in the arse, isn't it? I'm only back on the bike this evening (Kind of. It's stuck on the trainer) after a rush of work since the start of the year, and I've got 10 days until I'm away again for a week.

I'm probably going back down to Waterford again after that if you fancy doing the 20km/30km together? Always easier with someone alongside you.

I'm rarely in Waterford at the weekends these days, but let me know regardless and we'll make something work at some stage!

Date: Tuesday February 17th 2015
    Distance: 31.8KM
    Time: 1:42:24
    Average Speed: 18.6KM/H
    Elevation: 153M
    Weather: Dry, mild.
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/256155514/overview

Notes:

A week later and finally able to strike off two of my goals. Only two months ago I was struggling to do 6KM and today I've broken 30KM for the first time. It was tough enough and I think I spent too much energy on the way out, as on the return I was trying to conserve as much as I could for the final 2KM uphill back home. Still, I made it. It's my longest ever time in the saddle, longest ever distance and toughest ever ride. I really focused on my cadence and and working the gears a lot better than I have done previously, but can still see areas where I can improve without massive effort.

Best of all? No f*cking punctures.

2015 Goals - Updated
    1. 20K Ride
    2. 30K Ride
    3. 50K Ride
    4. 80K Ride
    5. 100K Ride
    6. 1,500KM for Year

As for the 50k....bring it bitch.:D

I notice the kg's are still the same, Have you changed your diet..?

I notice the kg's are still the same, Have you changed your diet..?

Yeah, I have done but at the moment I'm more focused on not gaining weight and just getting really comfortable with the bike whilst trying to get as much enjoyment from it. Once the good weather kicks in, I'll start focusing on the weight loss more :)

Yeah, I have done but at the moment I'm more focused on not gaining weight and just getting really comfortable with the bike whilst trying to get as much enjoyment from it. Once the good weather kicks in, I'll start focusing on the weight loss more :)

I found last summer I kept the weight off, even dropped a few kgs, That was doing around 150k a week, I done very little over xmas and put on a few kgs, I'm still blaming it on giving up the cigs 2 years ago ha ha..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

1. 20K Ride
    2. 30K Ride
    3. 50K Ride
    4. 80K Ride
    5. 100K Ride
    6. 1,500KM for Year

Entry for the SK tour of Waterford has opened if you wanted a date to aim for though Im sure you could do the 100k before then. Still though... it's good to have a date to aim for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Good man Paddy, great to see your progress. I started last May doing 4km spins and weighed 105kg, now I'm 84kg and regularly do a 30km average spin. It's all to do but it's really enjoyable although you think camera gear is expensive wait till you really get into the bike!!

Borderfox wrote: »
    Good man Paddy, great to see your progress. I started last May doing 4km spins and weighed 105kg, now I'm 84kg and regularly do a 30km average spin. It's all to do but it's really enjoyable although you think camera gear is expensive wait till you really get into the bike!!

wow, dropping 21kg, you must have changed your diet..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Cut up quite a bit, soft drinks and cooking more at home. Biggest drop I had was from early morning 1 hour spins at max intensity before breakfast and then have the usual breakfast. They seemed (to me) to have the largest effect on my weight and better performance too

Borderfox wrote: »
    Cut up quite a bit, soft drinks and cooking more at home. Biggest drop I had was from early morning 1 hour spins at max intensity before breakfast and then have the usual breakfast. They seemed (to me) to have the largest effect on my weight and better performance too

Found that too, you don't even have to go flat out, just good and brisk, really gets the old metabolism ticking over.

Date: Wednesday April 8th 2015
    Distance: 14.1KM
    Time: 0:52:35
    Average Speed: 16.2KM/H
    Elevation: 139M
    Weather: Dry, warm.
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/281422491

Notes:

So, I've been slacking.

I don't really know why because my interest in cycling has remained. I'm going to blame a combination of procrastination and the bad weather during March to make myself feel a little bit better about it...

I headed out this afternoon with the aim of doing a short 7KM return run out the road, but ended up doing my now standard route of just over 14KM. I tried to keep it slow and steady and to just enjoy the ride, which I did for the most part. By around the 12KM mark, my legs had completely given up but I still just about managed to make it back to the house. Average cadence and speed are down a fair bit on the last time I completed this route, but only around 3/4 minutes slower so not too bad. Will give it a rest tomorrow and head back out again on Friday.

Semi-related, I can't seem to get second gear on the rear cassette. The derailleur just skips until I select either third or first and shifting isn't as crisp as it used to be. I know it's only a Tiagra groupset but it was fine previously. I always considered gear adjustment a bit of a black art so I'm reluctant to go at it but don't think I have much of a choice?

Semi-related, I can't seem to get second gear on the rear cassette. The derailleur just skips until I select either third or first and shifting isn't as crisp as it used to be. I know it's only a Tiagra groupset but it was fine previously. I always considered gear adjustment a bit of a black art so I'm reluctant to go at it but don't think I have much of a choice?

Have you had you post purchase service with the store you bought it from? This is the sort of thing they would look at.

A good clean and lube could help too.

If you arent happy doing it yourself I'ld be happy to help out. I procrastinate these kinds of jobs all of the time :D (there's a good chance it's just suffering from lack of use so put it up on a workstand and go through the cassette repeatedly until it's working happily again).

bp_me wrote: »
    Have you had you post purchase service with the store you bought it from? This is the sort of thing they would look at.

A good clean and lube could help too.

If you arent happy doing it yourself I'ld be happy to help out. I procrastinate these kinds of jobs all of the time :D (there's a good chance it's just suffering from lack of use so put it up on a workstand and go through the cassette repeatedly until it's working happily again).

I was going to arrange it this week, but Dave got injured over the weekend so no chance of getting it booked in for another little while.

I was going to arrange it this week, but Dave got injured over the weekend so no chance of getting it booked in for another little while.

I was thinking about this a bit more and realised I forgot to suggest twisting the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur a bit. Put the bike in a work stand and twist the adjuster a bit until everything is nice and slick again.

Date: Friday April 10th 2015
    Distance: 9.7KM
    Time: 0:35:21
    Average Speed: 16.5KM/H
    Average Cadence: 74RPM
    Elevation: 106M
    Weather: Cool, overcast.
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/282589587

Notes:

Intended on doing the 14KM circuit, but bailed at the crossroads where I would usually keep on straight. Just wasn't feeling right from the get go at all and things I could usually put out of my head, just kept mounting up. Cold feet, head wind, sore arse, creaking front wheel / fork and shifting problems. Going to tackle the issues I can do something about tomorrow and head out again over the weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement