Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaker tripping after pre pay install

Options
  • 18-12-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Got a pre pay meter installed this morning and ever since one of the circuits have been tripping. Would the installation have possibly caused this or could it be the breaker is gone and it just happens to be a coincidence. Doesn't trip straight away, takes about 10-15 min.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is highly unlikely that the installation of the meter has anything to do with the breaker tripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Simplest way to check whats up is to turn all switches and everything drawing power off, then, go around and switch everything back on one by one, if the switch trips its more than likely the last thing you switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

2011 wrote: »
    It is highly unlikely that the installation of the meter has anything to do with the breaker tripping.

That's what the installer thinks. Do you not think its a huge coincidence though.

cronin_j wrote: »
    Simplest way to check whats up is to turn all switches and everything drawing power off, then, go around and switch everything back on one by one, if the switch trips its more than likely the last thing you switched on.

Its only lights and the alarms console and possibly the meters console that on it. I may just wait for the installer to come back over.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

macnug wrote: »
    That's what the installer thinks. Do you not think its a huge coincidence though.

No.

Picking the correct numbers and winning the lottery, now that is what I call a coincidence, yet it happens most weeks :)

• Advertisement

No.

Picking the correct numbers and winning the lottery, now that is what I call a coincidence, yet it happens most weeks :)

Ah we all know the lottos fixed anyway :P. Anyway the installer came back and the only fault he could find was a physical problem with the meter, which could have caused an ark. he was still puzzled as to why the main didn't trip so I have a feeling there may be a issue with that circuit but hopefully that will be the end of it now.

Well it wasn't the meter. Still happening. Anybody have any advice on what to do next, should I get the installer back or an independent electrician?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

What exactly is tripping
    Sockets or lights

Make sure immersion is turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

No.

Yea but thats not a proper comparison:pac:

Might be remotely possible that the original meter didnt have the neutralising connection done, but it was connected on the new one.

Fairly remote though.

Edit: The pre pay meters are probably installed while leaving the existing meter as it was, which would probably rule that out.

• Advertisement

Ah we all know the lottos fixed anyway :P. Anyway the installer came back and the only fault he could find was a physical problem with the meter, which could have caused an ark. he was still puzzled as to why the main didn't trip so I have a feeling there may be a issue with that circuit but hopefully that will be the end of it now.

Sounds like guesswork there. Based on non realistic ideas. Anything is possible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Wrong neutral bar connection?????

There's 4 lights (one outside) and the alarm mains(not the console as I first thought) on this circuit. The digital meter was getting a live from the breaker but he changed that to a different circuit when he changed the meter. Its still the same breaker though. Would it be possible that the breaker was on its last legs anyway and then the problem with the meter made it worse? I've noticed when the 3 inside lights are on the breaker trips within an hour however I've had 1 light on now for about hour and a half and nothing has happened. Could be the outside light getting damp but i just thought it was very funny that its very funny that this problem starts 10 min after installation of the pp meter.

Was it an MCB or RCD tripping?

I was assuming it was an RCD for some reason.

If its an MCB, just co-incidence is likely.

Its an mcb. Have the 3 inside lights on about 15 min now and not tripping. I'm wondering now is it the outside light. There's no bulb in the outside light but if moisture got in and the switch was in the on position, could it cause it?

Its an mcb. Have the 3 inside lights on about 15 min now and not tripping. I'm wondering now is it the outside light. There's no bulb in the outside light but if moisture got in and the switch was in the on position, could it cause it?

Often is outside lights. MCBs dont trip near as easily as RCDs with water getting into outside lights. But it does happen. Often after a fair length of time after moisture first starts getting in. Sizzling and carbon build up, then tripping.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Often is outside lights. MCBs dont trip near as easily as RCDs with water getting into outside lights. But it does happen. Often after a fair length of time after moisture first starts getting in. Sizzling and carbon build up, then tripping.

I'll check the outside light tomorrow so. Its been about 45 min of the 3 lights been on (and outside light in off position) and nothings tripped.

Advertisement