Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People resting their shopping on your car

• 18-12-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

This happened to me a few times. I'm sitting in the car or approaching my parked to find someone with their shopping bag/boxed good or whatever resting on my boot lid as they pack their other shopping into their shed on wheels.

I caught a woman doing that earlier and she said the wind forced her to rest it there? I don't care if hurricane Charlie is here don't rest your stuff on other peoples cars like that, its an expensive mistake if you scuff the paintwork and youll be forking out to get their car paint corrected. My octavia is still only a new car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Sometimes we need to accept that the world is strange and chaotic place, be grateful for the few 'problems' we have compared to others, and relax a little.

Happy Christmas. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Sometimes we need to accept that the world is strange and chaotic place, be grateful for the few 'problems' we have compared to others, and relax a little.

Happy Christmas. :)

Are you for real ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Chill. Be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Meh, never done it to anyone's car but wouldn't bother me either unless they are actually bouncing it off your car and doing damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

So what happened when you removed your car from under their goods (reversed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just drive off promptly. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Its the same with people resting against it etc. And no one understands why you dont want there studded pockets on your paintwork! Ionce had a guy stand on my bonnet. I was rather unimpressed. Also in Dublin city cyclist resting up against cars at lights?? Fcuk off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Parking all the way down the back rids yourself of door bangers, leaners, scratchers, trolley tyrants and general ghouls like above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If they had them on the ground previously and grit was attached to the underside they could scuff the paintwork.

I notice when I have the car nicely waxed it attracts other idiots parking beside it no matter how far back in the carpark it goes, usually they force you to make Dukes Of Hazzard style entrances they park so close to your door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Parking all the way down the back rids yourself of door bangers, leaners, scratchers, trolley tyrants and general ghouls like above.

I usually park at the back end of car parks. It helps to avoid those types no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭billie holiday

Rich peoples problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Rich peoples problem

People who have pride in their motors problems, money doesn't come in to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Take a picture of their shopping, then take a picture of their insurance disc. As your leaving tell them to expect a bill for the paint damage, that will make them think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

There'll still be one person parked beside you when you come back. Always happens me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Rich peoples problem

You haven't thought this through.

If someone scratches your car, it will either cost you money to fix it, or when you try to sell it. If OP was filthy rich he probably wouldnt care as much.

When I sold my previous car I needed every euro I could get. But you probably leave this kind of petty details to the great unwashed.

EDIT: Also I was raised to respect other people's property and I expect it to work both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I rarely see it being done but what annoys me are people who decide to have auld sit down on the bonnet.
    A few years ago I remember I had just had the car washed and waxed.
    Parked in town and when I was coming back there were two builders with paint all over their clothes eating a supermacs.
    I went fcukin mad. Didn't scratch it or anything but ffs they were outside supermacs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

hi5 wrote: »
    Take a picture of their shopping, then take a picture of their insurance disc. As your leaving tell them to expect a bill for the paint damage, that will make them think.

Yeah, it will make them think - that you're a right contrary, truculent fcuker who gets a kick out of arguing.

Of course, yeah I get it, it's very bad manners to rest your shopping on someone else car. I would never do it but I think the sort of reactions people are posting here are a little over the top.
    Sure, if there is damage you should call them out on it. But in fairness, placing a shopping bag or box on a bootlid is unlikely to cause damage unless the are scooting the thing around on it.
    I certainly wouldn't be jumping down anyone's throat over a shopping bag left on my boot/bonnet.

OTOH, you could just start up and drive off. That'd learn 'em, plus you get some free groceries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

hi5 wrote: »

No it wont...brain dead most of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Jump up on their bonnet. When the owner asks you what the fook you're doing, tell them you're up there to get a better view of the car park, so that you can find your car, because you're sure you didn't leave bags of groceries on your bootlid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Chill. Be happy.
    I was going to not rest my shopping on OP's car

but then I got high..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

goz83 wrote: »
    Jump up on their bonnet. When the owner asks you what the fook you're doing, tell them you're up there to get a better view of the car park, so that you can find your car, because you're sure you didn't leave bags of groceries on your bootlid.
    vancouver_subaru_dealers_sells_sumo_damaged_forest.jpg
    Just takin a rest on this convenient car here, don't mind me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'm glad I bought a Cmax that very obviously belonged to a family before. It is already covered in scratches and dents.
    You would be amazed how relaxing parking has become. People actually steer clear of it, when you car looks like a POS, people don't mess with it, because they think you don't care about it and if you don't care about your own car, you care about theirs even less.
    Piece of mind, I never need worry about a scratch, because unless someone takes the whole wing off, I most likely won't notice it.
    I would, however never lean against, bang my door into, or put my shopping on other people's cars. I do respect other people's property and I've been to too many classic car shows to go touch cars that aren't mine without permission. Because that is not cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

There is a simple solution. Roar at the top of your voice "GET YOUR STUPID ****ING **** OFF MY ****ING CAR".

It will make them think twice about doing it again and you'll feel much better about the whole thing. I don't go in for the whole passive aggressive thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Hasn't happened to me yet, but if it did I'd throw their shopping all over the ground. F 'em!

When you mistreat other people or their hard earned property, niceties go out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Most precious complaint i've ever read on boards, must have been very traumatic.
    OP has probably done the same himself in the past but only took notice now because it's his "new Octavia".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That people put their shopping on your car doesnt really amaze me.
    I have learned that most people are selfish *****

The amount of people here defending it, that does amaze me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

bur wrote: »
    Most precious complaint i've ever read on boards, must have been very traumatic.
    OP has probably done the same himself in the past but only took notice now because it's his "new Octavia".

There are things that are socially acceptable and things that are not.

Putting items on someone else's property that is probably the second most expensive and ongoing cost they have is not one of them.

Why not just rest the shopping on someones child while your at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Really the issue is , if someone scratches your car with their shopping should they pay ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Really the issue is , if someone scratches your car with their shopping should they pay ?

If someone causes damage to your property regardless of how it was done or if it was accidental or not they should pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Perhaps rest your shopping on their child?

It is ignorant, but not the end of the world. I'd usually park well down the back to get away from the usual gob****ery that goes on at the front of carparks, it's way more relaxing and you get a nice walk to and from the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Mother and daughter parked beside my car while I was in it and there was clearly not enough room for the Ma to get out and I was thinking, the Ma will climb over daughters side. Wrong, she banged the car. While I can understand the Ma was in her 70s a d stupid, the daughter had to realise there wasn't enough room to get out. I drove off to stop the damage

Spacial awareness anyone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    Its the same with people resting against it etc. And no one understands why you dont want there studded pockets on your paintwork! Ionce had a guy stand on my bonnet. I was rather unimpressed. Also in Dublin city cyclist resting up against cars at lights?? Fcuk off!

standing on your bonnet? are you serious? what did you say to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

No it doesn't , I parked a vintage Pagoda merc outside b&q liffiey valley Almost EMPTY car park about a 1/4 mile away from the door and came out to see it surrounded by 6 cars , fecking sheep mentality .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

bur wrote: »

I've never done it so random baseless theory there...

Since I'm a car person I wouldn't want to see anyone have their car either new or old be subject to a table for random Mary or Johns shopping bags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I came back to my motorbike one day to find a woman with her gigantic bag on the back of it buckles and all, sorting though it looking for something. I helped her find whatever it was by ****ing the bag across the street and emptying the contents everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

its an absolute f...ing sickener, my bangernomics jag might only have cost me 1300€ but it was paid out of my pocket and i try to mind it. twice now people have put shopping on the boot lid then dragged the bags/boxes of it, its fecking ruined with scratches now. i swear to god if i caught them i'd lose the head with them.

people just have no respect for other peoples property these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

their shed on wheels.
    and then
    . My octavia

Is there any actual difference between two? :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

pcardin wrote: »
    and then

Is there any actual difference between two? :pac::D

There's more room in an Octavia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

bear1 wrote: »
    I rarely see it being done but what annoys me are people who decide to have auld sit down on the bonnet.
    A few years ago I remember I had just had the car washed and waxed.
    Parked in town and when I was coming back there were two builders with paint all over their clothes eating a supermacs.
    I went fcukin mad. Didn't scratch it or anything but ffs they were outside supermacs!

I was at a chipper one time and the woman that owned it was just after buying a new car and she parked it outside the window so that she could keep a close eye on it. Two drunks came in for chips and left they decided to use the bonnet of her car to eat their chips, when she saw them she started roaring inside the chipper then ran out and gave them such a fright with her roaring that they ran away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

^^ I once saw a car parked outside a local chipper, with a full sausage in batter shoved down on the aerial. You couldn't help but laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Something similar happened me once. It was a warm day and I was standing a few feet away from my car talking on the phone. While I was on the phone I saw a tired looking lad walking towards the car. He was clearly too exhausted to go on in the blazing Dublin heat so he saw my car and decided it was the perfect place to toss the big jacket he was carrying and leaned both of his sweaty hands against it while breathing heavily..moved quickly enough when I shouted at him to get off the ****ing car though. Some simply have no manners and no respect for other peoples property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I'm glad I bought a Cmax that very obviously belonged to a family before. It is already covered in scratches and dents.
    You would be amazed how relaxing parking has become. People actually steer clear of it, when you car looks like a POS, people don't mess with it, because they think you don't care about it and if you don't care about your own car, you care about theirs even less.
    Piece of mind, I never need worry about a scratch, because unless someone takes the whole wing off, I most likely won't notice it.
    I had a Peugeot 205 van like that for a few years.
    It was on the old brown tax book, and had had so many previous owners that the motor tax people had to staple on a bit of paper to note my ownership of it.
    The last owner before me was a builder who had apparently used it to carry digger buckets, open paint containers, and readymix cement.
    Every removable panel had been replaced from breakers' yards and were thus all of different colours and it had a liberal sprinkling of dents and scrapes.
    It was utterly reliable and passed the DOE with ease every time, but it looked as rough as the back end of a bear after a weekend of porter and curry.

I never had so much freedom and space around me in city centre traffic as I had in that van. You could see other vehicles actually recoil away from it in horror.
    I also never came back to it in a busy car park to find another vehicle parked too close. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Well it happened on my old cars

First situation
    I was living in Sweden at the time but was at a garage in Holland to check for parts
    I had a tuned honda civic, and even it was cheap I really liked my car.
    Some guy that was worked at the junkyard he was like using my spoiler as a chair.
    My girlfriend at the time walked in and said "hey alex someone is leaning at your spoiler and he won't listen to me"
    So I run outside and started yelling like what the F are you doing? do you think money grows on the tree?

Well he was shocked with my response and said sorry so many times I felt sorry for the guy.

The second situation was back in Sweden, I parked my car (the same one) someone and some (other religian) person parked next to me and slam her door into mine, well you won't want to see my reaction to that.
    She was like? I don't see anything whats your problem? I was tired and had side strips still on the door so no problem.
    My ex instead she was like starting the next world war and attacked the woman (even it was my car).

Shopping stuff on my car never happened, but I would be pissed off/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Back on the 80's a friend of mine was doing a cruise of the Shannon one place they stopped off he saw this goldwing bike so he had to check it out. While he was looking at it he couldn't resist keeping his paws off it until he heard a yank roar "Hands off the bike"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

By the way people are talking on the thread here it would seem people putting shopping bags on their car seems to be a pretty regular occurrence almost. I've never had it happen to me that I am actually aware of.

Also this phenomena of parking in a far flung corner of a carpark and coming back to find more cars parked around you, again pretty much never happened to me unless of course the carpark pretty much filled up in the meantime.

What has happened to me and I don't like is people sitting on the bonnet, leaning up against the side of the car etc. A fat baxtard or even a thin one putting enough weight on the car could put a panel out of alignment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Some seriously fragile cars and ego's in here, iv had some nice wagons that iv paid good coin to be buffed, detailed etc, I have a shed full of Maguires products and have spent many happy days claying, polishing and waxing so it's not like am not car proud but I just realise an old granny resting some plastic bags on my car is not that big of a deal ffs, I would hate to see some of you guys faces when you drive by a gritter etc, driving on a motorway will damage your precious paint more than some poor old woman in a car park. Dry your eyes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Melodeon wrote: »
    I had a Peugeot 205 van like that for a few years.
    It was on the old brown tax book, and had had so many previous owners that the motor tax people had to staple on a bit of paper to note my ownership of it.
    The last owner before me was a builder who had apparently used it to carry digger buckets, wopen paint containers, and readymix cement.
    Every removable panel had been replaced from breakers' yards and were thus all of different colours and it had a liberal sprinkling of dents and scrapes.
    It was utterly reliable and passed the DOE with ease every time, but it looked as rough as the back end of a bear after a weekend of porter and curry.

I never had so much freedom and space around me in city centre traffic as I had in that van. You could see other vehicles actually recoil away from it in horror.
    I also never came back to it in a busy car park to find another vehicle parked too close. :D

It's great driving something beat up looking. And that fat bastard that drove down the left only lane and wants to cut in at the front? He'll think twice about it when he sees a car that the owner isn't afraid to crash.
    I once drove a VW van that was so beat up, my employer asked me to move it when a picture of the company was taken and the Nigerian embassy had it towed. No one messes with you in one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've had a few funny ones.

One night a good few years ago, while waiting to collect my sister from a night club (ya I was being a good brother and all that) I was sitting in the car with it switched off. I had two fellas come and sit on the bonnet and I got fairly annoyed. My solution was to check my rear mirror and release the handbrake without starting the car. The car rolled back from under them and they landed on their asses. That was funny to see.

The banging doors off cars is the one thing thst really annoys me. I was after parking in a shopping centre and still in the drivers seat when this one screaches into the space next to me, jumps out flinging her door into the side of my car. I got out to find a nice dent. Her response was a "so what?" and a shrug of the shoulders. Her attitude changed when I got my wheel brace, made a nice dent in her car and said "now we're even".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

maybe you were bad in your past life

• Advertisement
Advertisement