Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 National Duathlon Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Podge83 wrote: »
    Why do organisers not want to be part of NS. Surely this would attract more people to their races.

Others are hosting their Tri as part of the NS so focusing on that instead

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

OK that's two reasons, but why would being part of NS affect either aspiration or wish??

Other than sorting the results to TI groups which would be done by the chip timing company, why not have it as part of the NS? The prize list doesn't have to be as tri NS afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

viperlogic wrote: »
    Schull aka Fastnet not part of the NS now! It was my backup race so will have to have Trim or Naas #3 as backup now. Hopefully wont have to use them due to distance away from them and also the week before the NC in Ennis.
    The plan for me now is Trim, Naas#3, Ennis. Signed up for Naas and Ennis waiting for Trim to open up for entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Another email from TI--> The organisers don't want the race as part of NS so it has been removed from the list and the calendar as an NS Race.

Viperlogic, I stand corrected!! But I have an excuse - as with my whole life I was misled by others!!

Hacked off at that - I had signed up on the basis that it was NS.
    Looks like I'll be heading to Limerick the next day instead.:mad:

100412.2526@compuserve.com

This is my first year being a TI member but shocked by the amount of mistakes etc. I'm still waiting a reply from them on the definitive list of NS races as the calender can't be trusted as is changing near daily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Why do organisers not want to be part of NS. Surely this would attract more people to their races.

Additional safety and organisational requirements.
    Percentage of places for TI members must be reserved.

Although I suspect sponsorship an impact too.

Plus if a race is going to fill does it really matter if it fills in 30 minutes or 30 days?

Finally by not being a NS race they will attract a higher calibre of athlete so maybe they want a serious race.

Who knows?

tunney wrote: »
    Additional safety and organisational requirements.
    Percentage of places for TI members must be reserved.

Although I suspect sponsorship an impact too.

Plus if a race is going to fill does it really matter if it fills in 30 minutes or 30 days?

Finally by not being a NS race they will attract a higher calibre of athlete so maybe they want a serious race.

Who knows?

So better calibre athletes are attracted to races with lower organisational and safety requirements?? Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

tunney wrote: »

Who knows?

That just doesn't make sense my friend..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

So better calibre athletes are attracted to races with lower organisational and safety requirements?? Wow

I think the point is nothing to do with the safety standards.

There is a certain compliance required for NS standard and with a lot of oversight and liasing needed with TI for some clubs this is quite an onerous task for people who are just volunteers.

Very often you will get some of the better triathletes rocking up to club races when they can be fairly sure of a win. All depends on the prize pot etc.

shansey wrote: »
    That just doesn't make sense my friend..

It does if you really think about it.

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    I think the point is nothing to do with the safety standards.

There is a certain compliance required for NS standard and with a lot of oversight and liasing needed with TI for some clubs this is quite an onerous task for people who are just volunteers.

Very often you will get some of the better triathletes rocking up to club races when they can be fairly sure of a win. All depends on the prize pot etc.

Thanks for that - and it all makes sense, but overall if I was organising a race I'd prefer NS instead of non NS. Maybe what is coming to the surface is that the duathlon NS is a (and without bowing to Tunney's apparent inadvertent candour) mickey mouse competition.

In all fairness, TI's inability to prepare a calendar and co-ordinate with organising clubs doesn't help and indeed further lowers the competitions standing. Surely they should check with clubs before including their race on a list!!

Thanks for that - and it all makes sense, but overall if I was organising a race I'd prefer NS instead of non NS. Maybe what is coming to the surface is that the duathlon NS is a (and without bowing to Tunney's apparent inadvertent candour) mickey mouse competition.

In all fairness, TI's inability to prepare a calendar and co-ordinate with organising clubs doesn't help and indeed further lowers the competitions standing. Surely they should check with clubs before including their race on a list!!

Apologies - I didn't realise this was the duathlon NS specifically. I misread the title. I withdraw my comments. I know nothing about duathlon in Ireland really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Lots of moving parts and volunteer time involved doesn't make for the most efficient system.

TI are relying on clubs to get submissions in on time and that doesn't always go to plan which may result in changes to calendars. Could be a multitude of different things going on including politics at play too which can affect the final line up of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

This will hopefully be my third year doing the Letterkenny Duathlon and its second year of being NS.. There was a massive difference in the standard after they made it NS. So much higher.

As far as tris go I can get top ten in a local club race but nowhere near that in an NS.. its a higher standard..

Just did my first NS duathlon today :) Where can one see NS points scored?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Just did my first NS duathlon today :) Where can one see NS points scored?

if it's anything like the tri NS, you'll be waiting a while. and i don't mean days. can take up to a couple of weeks for them to get posted

Last Year it was October (for Duathlon NS)

Anyone else doing the Fota Duathlon this weekend? Bit exp at €39 but its local to me.

They have changed the bike route to clockwise this time

Last Year it was October (for Duathlon NS)

I see TI have the act together better this year. A few NS standings appearing.

Anyone else doing the Fota Duathlon this weekend? Bit exp at €39 but its local to me.

They have changed the bike route to clockwise this time

Did this today. Cycle route well marshalled on a slippy (due to weather) and hilly course. Plenty of marshalls on bikes. Run course tough enough. Good transition but no security whatsoever. A few great performances today.

Didn't like the cycle myself but the combination of course and conditions deffo ensured great bike skills were rewarded.

• Advertisement

Are both male and female in the same age category or it's just the way they display it?

Are both male and female in the same age category or it's just the way they display it?

Its just how its displayed. You can filter by selecting the category or sex. Jaysus, you have to be careful these days about saying "select sex" on the net!!

Did this today. Cycle route well marshalled on a slippy (due to weather) and hilly course. Plenty of marshalls on bikes. Run course tough enough. Good transition but no security whatsoever. A few great performances today.

Didn't like the cycle myself but the combination of course and conditions deffo ensured great bike skills were rewarded.

Wasn't a great day for me, 2K from home on the bike leg my left calf went into spasm while accelerating after the bridge. Had to pull in to stretch it out and in doing so about 6 bikes passed me. Cycled last 2K with right leg and hobbled the 5K run for 25th place overall.

Certainly a testing course on both run and bike legs. The crosswind after the steep downhill nearly took the bike from under me. My seat nearly changed color, thou no one would of noticed with the amount of muck on the roads!

Wasn't a great day for me, 2K from home on the bike leg my left calf went into spasm while accelerating after the bridge. Had to pull in to stretch it out and in doing so about 6 bikes passed me. Cycled last 2K with right leg and hobbled the 5K run for 25th place overall.

Certainly a testing course on both run and bike legs. The crosswind after the steep downhill nearly took the bike from under me. My seat nearly changed color, thou no one would of noticed with the amount of muck on the roads!

You must have been no. 29 so. I passed you on that stretch from the bridge back. Me own bike took an unscheduled right turn on that stretch after the hill too. I was the fella taking it easy on the down hills - I think you passed me on them all!! Need to learn how to descend - prefer going up!

You must have been no. 29 so. I passed you on that stretch from the bridge back. Me own bike took an unscheduled right turn on that stretch after the hill too. I was the fella taking it easy on the down hills - I think you passed me on them all!! Need to learn how to descend - prefer going up!

Lol, yup, that was me. We must of swapped places 5 or 6 times! Ps was admiring your bike and rims each time. V nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Have to say it's a great course but a horrific day weather wide. Wind was insane. But always enjoy it.

First time racing with disc at the back was afraid of my life but luckily no issues. Picked up 2nd place (mainly helped due to a very small turn out in fairness!) but the prize giving took forever. Most people left, it was so cold and they waited till everything was taken down first.

Trim next then Ennis. Trim course looks nice, some offroad running!

lizanne83 wrote: »
    Have to say it's a great course but a horrific day weather wide. Wind was insane. But always enjoy it.

First time racing with disc at the back was afraid of my life but luckily no issues. Picked up 2nd place (mainly helped due to a very small turn out in fairness!) but the prize giving took forever. Most people left, it was so cold and they waited till everything was taken down first.

Trim next then Ennis. Trim course looks nice, some offroad running!

Congrats, I heard it was a very close 1st/2nd battle. May I ask were the prizes substantial considering the v high entry fee?

Points and ranking gone again!

Webmaster(s) and/or content editor(s) quality of work is poor across the site, eg typos, two different domain names, menus! If someone is maintaining it for free then fair enough to a point but I highly doubt that's the case. /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Just under 2 weeks to Trim which begins my NS races, mixed feelings about where I am fitness wise and in a very competitive age group so hopefully won't be making a show of myself. Looking forward to all the races now they are so close.

• Advertisement

I was on to Triathlon Ireland. Typos and errors etc in results are now corrected. Regards points and ranking, the current site can't handle this for Duathlon Nation Series as they are using the ITU scoring. They are in the process of launching a new site that will be able to handle this automatically when results are uploaded. For now, its going to be a manual process and the points/ranking may be up before the championship race at the end of the month in Ennis, but only maybe.

In my age category, 30-34, and even overall its looks like it going to be a close race between John Greaney, Kevin Donagher and Killian Heery looking across the results so far.

Advertisement