Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy exotic meats in ireland

Options
  • 18-12-2014 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

At a recent dinner I was talking to a friend who was discussing all the types of meat he has eaten.he said he once visited a shop that sold all kinds of meat including ostrich and crocodile but couldn't remember it's name.as a New Years resolution I want to expand my taste palette in meats so I was wondering are there any shops that sell exotic meats here in Ireland or any irish based online shops that sell the following:
    Veal
    Kangaroo
    Ostrich
    Crocodile
    Pheasent
    Guinean fowl
    Venison
    Pigeon
    Horse
    Hate/rabbits
    Camel
    Bugs such as grasshoppers/locusts/ crickets/scorpion/caterpillars etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Downeys in terenure D6 will stock all of those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are you in Cork? There are some places in the market in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

What about seafood like mussels, oysters, scallops,clams,crabs shrimp and lobster anyone know where in Leinster I'd be able to get that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What about seafood like mussels, oysters, scallops,clams,crabs shrimp and lobster anyone know where in Leinster I'd be able to get that

Maybe Google fish mongers / fish shops in your area. That's all pretty basic seafood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Every fish mongers would stock those products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

visit www.sawersbelfast.com to see what you might like

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

At a recent dinner I was talking to a friend who was discussing all the types of meat he has eaten.he said he once visited a shop that sold all kinds of meat including ostrich and crocodile but couldn't remember it's name.as a New Years resolution I want to expand my taste palette in meats so I was wondering are there any shops that sell exotic meats here in Ireland or any irish based online shops that sell the following:
    Veal
    Kangaroo
    Ostrich
    Crocodile
    Pheasent
    Guinean fowl
    Venison
    Pigeon
    Horse
    Hate/rabbits
    Camel
    Bugs such as grasshoppers/locusts/ crickets/scorpion/caterpillars etc.

My Dad got pheasant in Aldi for Christmas Day.

And just so you know, in case you didn't, veal is highly controversial:

"Criticism of veal crates revolves around the fact that the veal calves are highly restricted in movement; have unsuitable flooring; spend their entire lives indoors; experience prolonged sensory, social, and exploratory deprivation; and are more susceptible to high amounts of stress and disease."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

harrods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Kish Fish has superfresh seafood. http://kishfish.ie

Where are you in Leinster? Some places you can buy from fishing boats or on a quayside shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

markmacken wrote: »

And tasty... Yum yum

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any British or Irish veal (also known as rose veal) is not crate reared as described above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

markmacken wrote: »
    My Dad got pheasant in Aldi for Christmas Day.

"Criticism of veal crates revolves around the fact that the veal calves are highly restricted in movement; have unsuitable flooring; spend their entire lives indoors; experience prolonged sensory, social, and exploratory deprivation; and are more susceptible to high amounts of stress and disease."

Yet people have no problem buying chicken raised in a barn of its own ****. Most chickens have the bottom of their legs cut off due to ammonia burns from the the excrement on the floor where they are living. I don't know why thissuch a double when they there comes to eating meat. Eating veal and reindeer is social unacceptable. But a chicken with massive ammonia burns is fine to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

English Market Cork. Beside the Fountain.Guinea Fowl,Crocodile,Kangaroo etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

braddun wrote: »
    harrods

Please don't post in the food forums unless you have something constructive to say. You've already had one post deleted today.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

Any British or Irish veal (also known as rose veal) is not crate reared as described above.

Good to get the clarification. Might consider having it out sometime soon now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5littleangels

I saw ostrich and kangaroo in LIDL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

thanks for all the links but the only one im having trouble with is the insects.Where can you buy crickets ieither in a shop or online.Ive heard of a retaurant that serves crickets amongst many other insects but cant seem to find it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

thanks for all the links but the only one im having trouble with is the insects.Where can you buy crickets ieither in a shop or online.Ive heard of a retaurant that serves crickets amongst many other insects but cant seem to find it

would love to know too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm not being funny, but some pet shops sell insects as food for reptiles. I've definitely seen crickets in one. I don't know what you'd need to do to prepare them for human consumption, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Faith wrote: »
    I'm not being funny, but some pet shops sell insects as food for reptiles. I've definitely seen crickets in one. I don't know what you'd need to do to prepare them for human consumption, though.

Those insects in pet shops are not fit for human consumption and the only ones I could get are already prepared. The meal worms taste like BBQ hula hoops although we did give a wasabi covered water bug to someone live on stage and they promptly threw it back up, I blame the wasabi of course

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

he said he once visited a shop that sold all kinds of meat including ostrich and crocodile but couldn't remember it's name.
    J Downey & Sons, in Terenure; http://goo.gl/maps/i7e7R

http://www.organicfoodsireland.com

Great for BBQ; http://www.organicfoodsireland.com/gourmet_game.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

had the Lidl Ostrich Fillets the other day. Not bad at all. Fairly Close to a beef fillet but without the marbling

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

duploelabs wrote: »
    Those insects in pet shops are not fit for human consumption and the only ones I could get are already prepared. The meal worms taste like BBQ hula hoops although we did give a wasabi covered water bug to someone live on stage and they promptly threw it back up, I blame the wasabi of course

Please tell me where you got these?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

duploelabs wrote: »

Yeah I figured they might not be. I wonder what you need to do to prepare insects though? Is it like snails, where you have to feed them lettuce for ages to clean them out, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 actually!

had the Lidl Ostrich Fillets the other day. Not bad at all. Fairly Close to a beef fillet but without the marbling

If by marbling you are referring to fat, the fillet of beef is not where you find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

If you are ever in the UK, I know for sure Selfridges sell all the insects you are asking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

actually! wrote: »
    If by marbling you are referring to fat, the fillet of beef is not where you find it.

you will, much less than other cuts but definitely enough to make a fillet taste fantastic

Advertisement