Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leftover roast beef - guinness stew/pie?

Options
  • 18-12-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I often do a roast, either chicken, beef or lamb. With the leftover meat I would normally do a curry the following day. However, to change things up I tried the above this evening.
    Online most recipes are with raw stewing beef with a cooking time of a couple of hours. So what do people do when the meat is leftover?
    I cooked it tonight for about 35 minutes in the oven, covered with tin foil and it turned out quiet nice.
    I wasn't sure how it would work out so at the last minute I decided not to bother with the puff pastry and just put sliced potatoes in the dish.

Do some of you do this type of dish with leftover beef? Is there an issue with stout aftertaste?
    I tried to burn off the alcohol first for 10 minutes on the hob and I then added a bit of a roux to thicken (first time doing a roux so was winging it) but the taste wasn't great so I decided to add some bisto to thicken and add flavour. It seemed to do the trick.
    Any better ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I make a Guinness stew sometimes - it doesn't taste stouty at all - but with raw meat to start. Usual method - cook the onions & garlic slowly in olive oil and a dash of butter until transparent, then add meat, then barley and carrots and parsnips and herbs and seasoning, or sometimes a stock gel instead of seasoning, cover and cook until everything is bubbling and simmery and delicious and the barley's soft, and serve with floury spuds steamed in their jackets. Never been thrown back at me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

With cooked beef I would normally make a shepards pie or rissoles - without the extra meat juices from the raw beef, and the long slow cooking, you'll always have to add something like Bisto to make it taste of anything resembling decent stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The meat from this dish was really tender. It was just getting the flavour of the sauce right that was tricky. I might try it again and put the puff pastry on it. I think burning off the alcohol on the hob and getting the flavour right before going in the oven is important as the cooking time is too short to change flavour. Maybe the stout is not needed or just a bit of it and add a stock cube instead. Or maybe the bisto is the handiest as you don't have to be adding a roux to thicken it.

Advertisement