Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs open in the city on St Stephen's night

Options
  • 18-12-2014 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Last year a number of notable pubs in the city didn't open until 9 on Stephen's night (Tigh Neachtains, Murphys, Freeneys to name three and IIRC a few obvious choices back the West were also closed). I hadn't been out on Stephen's night in years and was surprised as it used to be a big night.
    A group of us meeting at 8 had no option but to go into the Front Door (it being the only pub open in the vicinity at that time.) Anyone know what the options might be this year for quiet(ish) pints.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Pretty much the same. Most pubs won't open til evening time. Places like Neactains don't open on Steven's's's at all btw. You might find a couple of places in Woodquay.
    Don't know about An Pucan. I think they are the only new kids on the block this year.

Also don't forget that Galway is unique in that it closes down by 7 on Xmas eve so no pints that night either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Also don't forget that Galway is unique in that it closes down by 7 on Xmas eve so no pints that night either.

You'll get a couple open 'back West' a bit later than that ;)

inisboffin wrote: »

Shussh!! They'll all come. Did you see Neactains last night? Must be the first time in over 30 years I knew nobody in there except the staff.

And I actually don't like the main back West Xmas eve place. Think I got too settled down the docks.

Shussh!! They'll all come. Did you see Neactains last night? Must be the first time in over 30 years I knew nobody in there except the staff.

And I actually don't like the main back West Xmas eve place. Think I got too settled down the docks.

:)

Neachtains still has it's summer coat on!

Now I'm not sure that the 'main' one is the same as the two I was thinking of at all, but I'm afraid to name them now in case you give out! :D
    The two I'm thinking of are near each other, and the second one would have an 'older' clientele ;)

The one with the 'older' clientele is scary. I was in there Xmas eve a few years ago and they kept trying to stuff sausages into me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Shure'n they were vegetarian sausages.

I'm assuming one of them is The Elephant's Graveyard :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Shure'n they were vegetarian sausages.

I'm assuming one of them is The Elephant's Graveyard :-)

I've only heard two people refer to it as that, brilliant that it continues, i have a soft spot for the place i must say. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

I know the title of the post says city but the office in salthill or o'connors be nice spots with decent crowds.

as for Christmas Eve,it seems most of the town ends up in Salthill in Trends/Office.

i think the pubs in town that do not open on 26th is to allow staff time to travel back to Galway from wherever it may be they are from!

inisboffin wrote: »

Wood quay usually has a place or two also serving though its rare enough Im in town that late on Christmas eve, out the country in my local its open normal hours so that usually where we go after Christmas eve mass.

I've never been out in Galway on Stephens night but was always under the impression that its a massive night in smaller town etc as everyone is home. Its a big night out for us but we always end up staying local.

Wood quay usually has a place or two also serving though its rare enough Im in town that late on Christmas eve, out the country in my local its open normal hours so that usually where we go after Christmas eve mass.

I've never been out in Galway on Stephens night but was always under the impression that its a massive night in smaller town etc as everyone is home. Its a big night out for us but we always end up staying local.

Yeah, a lot of people local but some 'orphans'too, which makes for a nice mix. You get to see who in Galway is a townie ;). I forgot about Wood Quay, and I'd agree about the late tide out to Salthill (reminds me of club days!) PJs (Flaherty's) would often be open 'normal' hours I'd say, or it was in past years

• Advertisement

The one with the 'older' clientele is scary. I was in there Xmas eve a few years ago and they kept trying to stuff sausages into me.

I got off a bit lighter with cheese sambos! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Some of the best nights out in Galway that I've had, have been around the X-mas. December 23rd and 26th.

On the 23rd, it's usually a small crowd that's out. Depending on the day of the week it falls on.

On the 26th, it's only the locals around. It's a really good vibe, not manic and a lot less dirty

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MataofK

Tig Coili open at 6 on the 26th , usually good craic there !

The Skef have a sign up saying they open at 3pm. Not my kind of dime, but it will suit some.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Pretty much the same. Most pubs won't open til evening time.

Cheers buddy. Huge change then in the last ten years for Stephen's night. It used to be on a par with New Years.
    Sounds like Christmas Eve hasn't changed much but I would always have spent that in a local pub with old friends back for the Chrimbo. Considering people need to walk home (due to lack of taxis) and that most townies aren't from around Quay St or Dominick St that is why those pubs closed earlier.
    The Skef have a sign up saying they open at 3pm. Not my kind of dime, but it will suit some.
    Thanks but erm.. no thanks. :)

cL0h wrote: »
    . Considering people need to walk home (due to lack of taxis)

Town was grand for taxis last night, I think the shortage is a thing of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

What's the earliest any pub is open regardless of Salthill or Town? No high standards, just need a TV to keep the Yank relatives happy.

I'd expect you'd find somewhere in Woodquay opening on the dot of their licensing hours at 12:30pm

Update, just been for a brisk walk. Open just now are:
    An Tobar
    Kellys
    E Brún
    Carrols (aka McAlidens)
    Monroes
    Freeneys
    The Quays
    Front Door
    Busker Browns (live jazz in full swing)

The Salthouse wasn't open, but had lights on, a sign out side and a lad moving stuff around, I'd guess it will be open very soon. And I spotted what looked like a staff member going into the Kings Head, so it's probably opening soon enough.

So ye won't die of thirst, anyways.

I didn't go up to Eyre Square, so not sure about up there.

And the club in upper Abbeygate St that looks like a public toilet from the outside has a sign up about being open on Stephen's Night for all the homebirds (or "home..." somethings, I didn't actually read it properly).

Advertisement