Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Febrile convulsion / seizure

Options
  • 18-12-2014 9:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Our 1 year old boy had a febrile convulsion on Wednesday morning at 1am We didn't know what it was at the time and rang 999 and brought to temple street by ambulance. It scared the living sh1te out of me, never been so terrified in all me life. Seriously scary stuff. ( body in convolutions, frothing at mouth, in and out of consciousness, eyes rolling in head )

anyway, went through A and E in temple Street and they told us these things occur with a fever ( which he has ) and the babies cannot bring their temperature down and go in to seizure for about 5 minutes.

We were discharged at about 6am on Wednesday.

Low and behold he had another seizure at 5pm yesterday, Wednesday.........hospital told us he would not get another one until his next episode of new fever. We were less panicked second time round but Lord God it's scary.

Discharged today Thursday at 3pm

He is in bed now and seems normal, we are watching his temperature like a hawk and giving him his medicine on time to keep him s temp down. His health is fine otherwise.

Any of you ever experience this ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Sounds terrifying for you guys. Febrile seizures look scary

Nothing that scary but my fella would do a weird jump when he was small during a fever.

Kids grow out of febrile seizures though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

mohawk wrote: »
    Sounds terrifying for you guys. Febrile seizures look scary

Nothing that scary but my fella would do a weird jump when he was small during a fever.

Kids grow out of febrile seizures though.

stop the lights. most frightening experience of my life by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

Not exactly the same thing but my daughter used to turn very blue with a temp, it was ablolutely terrifying and ended up calling an ambulance as her breathing was so bad. Good thing to note though she has completely outgrown it so hopefully the same happens your wee fella!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I and my siblings had febrile convulsions as babies. I will never forget minding my little brother when he had his first one, my mam wasn't there, but I knew what it was, as she had told us about us having them.

It was terrifying.
    He had several on the way to the hospital also. He had to stay in a few nights as he had quite a few, he slept for about 2 weeks after. We were just willing him to wake up all the time, but he only woke for bottles, then went back to sleep, I think he was about 10 months old.

We were given a suppository to bring down his temp quickly if it happened again.

Thankfully none of my children have had them, but I know I wouldn't be as scared now, even though it would still be awful.
    Hope your little one is better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

I had this as a child - also very scary for my parents. Had the whole turning blue etc. As you've been told it happens when the temp goes too high too quickly. I think it's the brain trying to protect itself.
    Anyway I grew out of it but whenever my temp began to rise out came the cold compress at home, along with stripping off the layers. Hated it! Don't think this is recommended now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Our 1 year old boy had a febrile convulsion on Wednesday morning at 1am We didn't know what it was at the time and rang 999 and brought to temple street by ambulance. It scared the living sh1te out of me, never been so terrified in all me life. Seriously scary stuff. ( body in convolutions, frothing at mouth, in and out of consciousness, eyes rolling in head )

anyway, went through A and E in temple Street and they told us these things occur with a fever ( which he has ) and the babies cannot bring their temperature down and go in to seizure for about 5 minutes.

We were discharged at about 6am on Wednesday.

Low and behold he had another seizure at 5pm yesterday, Wednesday.........hospital told us he would not get another one until his next episode of new fever. We were less panicked second time round but Lord God it's scary.

Discharged today Thursday at 3pm

He is in bed now and seems normal, we are watching his temperature like a hawk and giving him his medicine on time to keep him s temp down. His health is fine otherwise.

Any of you ever experience this ??

No need to worry about it. It usually persists in childhood and doesn't recur later, in most cases. Take the advice from doctors about avoiding it till the child passes his childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It happened my eldest, like you due to fever. It was terrifying and when he had a temperature for years I was afraid to leave him for a minute (he's a strapping 24 year old now though)

We were told if they did it once, you had to watch every time they had a temperature until at least the age of 5. After that they should be fine. But like I say, I still worried.

Main thing is to keep his temperature down but if possible not too suddenly, as the trembling from that can also trigger the convulsions. Also, but this may have changed, I was told to have baby doses of Valium or equivalent to hand, for high temperatures that don't come down easily, as this sort of 'disconnects' the brain. Strangely it didn't knock him out as I expected, instead it wound him up completely, apparently this is frequent with small kids, but it wasn't great for parents! You're already stressed out with the fear of convulsions, and you can't sleep because he's running round like a mad thing.

Happy days. :lol:

But he's fine now. It's really just a thing you have to get through. Who'd be a parent, eh? :)

mac.in wrote: »
    No need to worry about it. It usually persists in childhood and doesn't recur later, in most cases. Take the advice from doctors about avoiding it till the child passes his childhood.

Thanks. avoid what though ?

opposite thing now tonight. checked his temp just now with a decent braun ear thermometer and his temp is 34.1 in one ear and 35.2 in the other. he is snoring away.

feckin opposite now, too low. maybe it's all the cooling down meds. 34 and 35 just seem too low

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Thanks. avoid what though ?

Doctors suggest precautionary measures like taking medications the moment the child starts getting fever (temperature) to avoid febrile convulsiions (fc); the temperature should be kept low which in most cases avoid fc.

• Advertisement

thankfully baby slept through the night, I didn't though !

question for yee that are used to EAR thermometers. we only got one yesterday. previously we had a forehead one and not matching with hospital readings so we decided to buy am far one - seeing as temperature monitoring is crucial )

our baby has an infection in his right ear. We are noticing that the temperature in this ear is about a degree LOWER than the healthy ear.

I actually thought the temperature in the infected ear would be higher.

or does any of the stuff I'm presuming make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Too low isn't possible just through paracetamol and the rest, so it's just telling you his temperature is grand, afaict.

I find most of those less invasive thermometers aren't very reliable, especially at normal (body) termperature. I often get crazily low temperatures when I use them (or maybe it's just me!) anyway I've given up on all of those fancy ones and just use the old fashioned ones.

I don't know if the crystal strips that go on the child's forehead are still available, they were really good for home use, even though they aren't graduated to the same extent. Still, you don't normally need to know whether it's 39.3 or 39.4, but it's great to be able to check and recheck as often as you want without disturbing the child when it's asleep.

But I seem to remember they don't sell them any more.

And sorry, no idea about the temp in each ear, I'd have thought like you, but have no idea.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Too low isn't possible just through paracetamol and the rest, so it's just telling you his temperature is grand, afaict.

I find most of those less invasive thermometers aren't very reliable, especially at normal (body) termperature. I often get crazily low temperatures when I use them (or maybe it's just me!) anyway I've given up on all of those fancy ones and just use the old fashioned ones.

I don't know if the crystal strips that go on the child's forehead are still available, they were really good for home use, even though they aren't graduated to the same extent. Still, you don't normally need to know whether it's 39.3 or 39.4, but it's great to be able to check and recheck as often as you want without disturbing the child when it's asleep.

But I seem to remember they don't sell them any more.

And sorry, no idea about the temp in each ear, I'd have thought like you, but have no idea.

thanks. I don't understand your first line though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

OP we cannot give medical advice here.

Speak to your GP this morning about adequate ways to keep temp down.

I'd also suggest that your thermometer is faulty if it is givin consistently low readings (or be careful a low temp can be indicative of something wrong too). The most effective way to read a child's temperature is (and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea) rectally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement