Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need bank account quick

Options
  • 18-12-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

So I started a new job today that pays at the start of every month. I was told today that my bank account info was needed for payrole because of christmas holidays and whatnot it needs to be done by tomorrow so I get paid in January otherwise I will have to wait till next payrole at the start of Feburary. Unfortunatly I didn't have a bank account entering and of course have none as of now.

So basically, what are the chances or me getting a sort code and account number before tomorrow afternoon? I've looked at some places online but it's only applications. I was told there would be no problem taking a couple of hours off to get it sorted but can it be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So I started a new job today that pays at the start of every month. I was told today that my bank account info was needed for payrole because of christmas holidays and whatnot it needs to be done by tomorrow so I get paid in January otherwise I will have to wait till next payrole at the start of Feburary. Unfortunatly I didn't have a bank account entering and of course have none as of now.

So basically, what are the chances or me getting a sort code and account number before tomorrow afternoon? I've looked at some places online but it's only applications. I was told there would be no problem taking a couple of hours off to get it sorted but can it be done?
    Surely you can give your parents account details and then change them after the first month when you have your own account set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Have you a savings or loan account anywhere? Try setup an account with them if you do. If not I would imagine your application needs to go through compliance. Some banks request proof of employment or payslips along with standars identity and address documents

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭TomCleverly

Quazzie wrote: »
    Surely you can give your parents account details and then change them after the first month when you have your own account set up.

I didn't consider this, do you think my employer would have any problems with this?
    Have you a savings or loan account anywhere? Try setup an account with them if you do. If not I would imagine your application needs to go through compliance. Some banks request proof of employment or payslips along with standars identity and address documents

Unfortunatly I have no financial accounts what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I didn't consider this, do you think my employer would have any problems with this?

I really doubt they would. All they want is a bank account number and Sort code. It could be a joint account for all they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Different banks take different amounts of time to set up current accounts. I have opened accounts in many banks previously where they have given me my sort code and account number (BIC/IBAN) right there and then, others need to send it out in the post later. Some banks only allow you to set up a new account with an appointment, some will take walk ins off the street. Your best bet is to ring a couple of the banks and ask them how quickly they can set you up.

At the moment the cheapest current account available is from PTSB and I am pretty sure they are one of the ones who were able to set you up on the day. So that might be a good place to start. Where you may have a problem is with the identity documents needed to set up your account. Seeing as how you don't already have an account I assume that you are young and probably living at home. Therefore you won't have the usual kinds of address verification documents that they need, like gas or electric bills. So it will be important that you check out by phone before hand what documentation that you will require. There is no point in taking time off and heading to a bank only to be turned away because you didn't bring the correct documentation.

As others have suggested it might be better to use your parents account initially and therefore leave yourself some time to choose the best account and open it. This will not be a problem for your employer. People switch bank account all the time and payroll would be used to changing peoples bank details on an ad-hoc basis.

An up to date list of all the current account available and their various benefits can be found here.
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=21774

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

BOI can open accounts on the spot and give you an account details on the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

hfallada wrote: »
    BOI can open accounts on the spot and give you an account details on the spot

Yeah, I would assume most banks can operate this way as well. I know with AIB, as long long as you have all the correct docs, they do everything on the spot.

Setting up a bank account is a rather simple process as long as you have all the docs (ID, proof of address etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭TomCleverly

Just taught I give an update on this, sorry it wasn't sooner I haven't been on the site since, I went with Quazzie's suggestion of using my parents account. That all went fine, they didn't care "as long as the money deposits". I've since got my own account set up. Thanks for the help everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Glad to hear that you got sorted out in the end.

Advertisement