Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Won't connect to internet, Newly built PC?

Options
  • 18-12-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

As the title says, I have a newly built PC that won't connect to my internet via Ethernet cable, I'ts connected directly to my Eircom modem/router. Everything is running fine and windows 7 is installed. Any ideas whats wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

As the title says, I have a newly built PC that won't connect to my internet via Ethernet cable, I'ts connected directly to my Eircom modem/router. Everything is running fine and windows 7 is installed. Any ideas whats wrong?

Is the network card showing in device manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Traversalan15

Is the network card showing in device manager?

No, in the other devices tab it has Ethernet controller but there is a yellow warning on it.

No, in the other devices tab it has Ethernet controller but there is a yellow warning on it.

You need to install the driver for it, if the Ethernet port is on the motherboard run the motherboard disk or get the latest from the manufacturers website

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Get DeviceID and VendorID from device properties in DeviceManager (2 4character hex codes, like 1F2B). Go to http://pcidatabase.com/ to identify the device, then google for drivers for your OS version

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Traversalan15

You need to install the driver for it, if the Ethernet port is on the motherboard run the motherboard disk or get the latest from the manufacturers website

I thought it could be a driver problem, was just wondering how to get the drivers without internet, thanks pal :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I thought it could be a driver problem, was just wondering how to get the drivers without internet, thanks pal :)

That's the usual chicken and egg situation that used to happen when reinstalling a PC... You will need to download the correct drivers from another PC and put them on a USB stick to transfer to your PC...

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Get DeviceID and VendorID from device properties in DeviceManager (2 4character hex codes, like 1F2B). Go to http://pcidatabase.com/ to identify the device, then google for drivers for your OS version

Correct but I think that is a little too technical in this case.

Advertisement