Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaking joint tonight, advice please!

• 18-12-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just moved into a new house. Came home tonight to find a slow leak from a joint at the pump which drives the water for our central heating - see attached pic.

The leaking part seems to be the bell-shaped part just above the pump in the photo. Any advice as to how to proceed? I'm not sure if I should tighten the whole bell-shaped part, or the screw that's at the front of it - afraid of making things worse if I get it wrong.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bof No1

If the leak is from the lower nut, ie. the large one closest to the pump, turn the slotted screw in the 'bell' until it's east-west, and not north-south, this will stop the water leak. There is another one on the other side of the pump you'll have to do as well. If you do this, DO NOT TURN ON THE HEATING, until you have the problem sorted in the morning. If you need the heating, put a pot under the leak and get it sorted in the morning, it seems to be a drip in the photo, no big deal. Cheers, Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Might be late but do not take the above advice.

It's from the screw, if you touch on it it will most likely get alot worse.
    There murder for it

Hi, the screw is actually a valve for turning on and off the water if the pump has to be changed, it saves you having to drain down the system completely to do this. As such, they will seldom be operated so I fail to see how if you touch it, it will only get worse?

Bof No1 wrote: »
    Hi, the screw is actually a valve for turning on and off the water if the pump has to be changed, it saves you having to drain down the system completely to do this. As such, they will seldom be operated so I fail to see how if you touch it, it will only get worse?

Then you obviously haven't much experience with them. In ten or so years Iv once gotten away with not changing them once. There a disaster of a valve, they start leaking without ever being touched. Like the op.

I've had no problem with them, but maybe I've been lucky? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

They almost always give trouble. I have sorted them out in the short term with a piece of rubber and a hose clip.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Thanks. I'll call a plumber in the morning to take a look. You were right BTW, I turned the screw on the same joint on the other pump, and now it's leaking too :(

What is the name for this joint BTW? It seems to join the 3/4 inch pipe to a 1 inch feed for the pump.

Not sure what you meant by murder below, hoping a typo... :pac:
    corkgsxr wrote: »
    Might be late but do not take the above advice.

It's from the screw, if you touch on it it will most likely get alot worse.
    There murder for it

fullerand wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll call a plumber in the morning to take a look. You were right BTW, I turned the screw on the same joint on the other pump, and now it's leaking too :(

What is the name for this joint BTW? It seems to join the 3/4 inch pipe to a 1 inch feed for the pump.

Not sure what you meant by murder below, hoping a typo... :pac:

Just called pump valves. Get the gate valve type. Same price but they actually work as a valve.

They leak all the time. I don't know why but they always leak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

if you had beans for tea don't go too close to those valves if you follow my drift

jimf wrote: »
    if you had beans for tea don't go too close to those valves if you follow my drift

Huh?

• Advertisement

why huh surely you remember blazing saddles

why huh surely you remember blazing saddles

Heard my great grandfather talking about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just called pump valves. Get the gate valve type. Same price but they actually work as a valve.

They leak all the time. I don't know why but they always leak
    I have the same experience with them, if i go to a job and see them, and need to work at the pump i pretty much assume they are going to leak

Wearb wrote: »
    Heard my great grandfather talking about it :)

wexford 1 limerick 0

but you know me and my memory

wexford 1 limerick 0

but you know me and my memory

I think I will have to change my handle to avoid retribution. :(

Ironic thing is my first job this morning is changing a set of them that started leaking of there own accord

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Ironic thing is my first job this morning is changing a set of them that started leaking of there own accord

Presumably someone farted near them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Years ago I fitted a brand new set of those valves with a new pump above a baxi solo. Within a week both of them leaked through the stem and soaked the boiler and ruined the pcb.
    Never used that type ever again, I always used the gate valve version now and no problems.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Years ago I fitted a brand new set of those valves with a new pump above a baxi solo. Within a week both of them leaked through the stem and soaked the boiler and ruined the pcb.
    Never used that type ever again, I always used the gate valve version now and no problems.

Lovely. That was a happy day I'd say.
    Can be hard to get the extra 15mm when retrofitting them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Lovely. That was a happy day I'd say.
    Can be hard to get the extra 15mm when retrofitting them

It all ended well. Because I had bought them at the same time as the pump, I put in a claim with the supplier (who I had been dealing with for over 15 years at the time) and they covered all my costs.
    Retrofitting can be a pain sometimes, but always worth the effort for piece of mind.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It all ended well. Because I had bought them at the same time as the pump, I put in a claim with the supplier (who I had been dealing with for over 15 years at the time) and they covered all my costs.
    Retrofitting can be a pain sometimes, but always worth the effort for piece of mind.

Ah handy. Minute I discovered the gate valve ones I never again bought those crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ah handy. Minute I discovered the gate valve ones I never again bought those crap

Me too

Advertisement