Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you tell your employer about your self-employment aspirations?

Options
  • 18-12-2014 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Hello

I've been considering starting my own business for a while now, there is an opportunity local to my current job that would let me run the business at weekends/evening and still hold down my (full time) job.
    The ultimate aim is to eventually rely solely on the business.

So even though I doubt I could keep it hidden for long, should I hide this from my boss? I feel like if he were to know what I was up to he might consider me a flight risk.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

What you do after work (your full time job) is none of their business. I'd say nothing until you are ready to go full time as self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Depends who you work for. It got me promoted twice some companies prefer you don't i think even have second job clauses in contracts where you are meant to inform them of the second job. I don't see any reason to tell them what you get up to in your own time if you don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

What you do after work (your full time job) is none of their business. I'd say nothing until you are ready to go full time as self employed.

Not strictly true. Your employer has to ensure that you are not working excessive hours (think its the Working Time Act). Every year we have to notify HR if we take up another part-time job so they can keep track of our hours worked.

I'd imagine it depends on the type of company you are setting up but as an employer I certainly wouldn't want someone working 9-5 for me and then working 7-4am as a taxi driver as they would be a health and safety risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

The answer should be in your contract of employment. If it not mentioned in there, then you are not obliged to tell them, and I would only do so if so required!!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

Life lesson learned the hard way: keep it to yourself if not 'contractually obligated' (HR bull**** speak) to mention anything.

An ex-employer (in Dublin) met me at an entrepreneurial event a few years back; he then called me into the office the following Monday and gave me a spiel: 'can I trust you?' etc. Amateur management skills. Soon left the job.

I have a lot of side projects (on and offline) as I'm a big believer in having multiple income sources; some make some money, some don't but I've always had a 'job' contract on the side to cover the basics.

So no I keep it to myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Hard to see how any good could come from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getsome

Cant see why you need to tell them, unless you think it will effect you day time job.

A family member recently told there boss about going self employed an leaving in the new year, he got called into the office, offered more money, told to set up on the side and if he needs advice or help at all they are more than willing.

So you never know what could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

It really depends on the job you are in and your employer.

However if in doubt I would keep it to yourself until you have to tell.

If an employee told me they were thinking of setting up a business, although I might wish them well I would know that sooner or later they were going to leave no matter what bonus, promotion etc they got. So I would be making my plans accordingly.

And once you tell them there is no real going back so I would leave it until you were certain.

dbran

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 MarkHerry2

I think this is not important to tell your employer about your self-employment aspirations. This is important only when it needed. It depends on the person who is working with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 learningtime

There are to many variables in this equation to give you an accurate or useful answer. "Listen" to your gut feeling springs to mind. Good luck & enjoy the journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Cheers for the replies.

I think Im going to keep it to myself as long as possible, but this is a rural place and I need to apply for planning permission so they will find out eventually through some means.

Going to keep it under wraps until that stage though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

he might let you steal some of his cutomers

use your work time to run your buisness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

There's a long tradition of turning a blind eye to nixers in SME's - allowing an employee to earn extra on the side, so long as it does not interfere with their day job, is a lot cheaper than a pay raise.

Given this, even an understanding employer will have their limits. If you are taking on work that in theory your company could be doing, you'll be in competition (even if the work would otherwise be too small to be of interest to them). There will always be an element of paranoia about how the second work will affect your focus on your primary work. Or whether you're using company assets for it. And of course, the inevitable fear that you'll leave them for this other work and maybe take some clients with you.

I would certainly always check what your contractual obligations are; whether this is allowed, if you're contractually obligated to tell them (and what exactly you're expected to tell them) and any claim by them on any work done outside the office.

Beyond that I'd treat it as 'need to know'; if they don't need to know contractually, it's none of their business.

Advertisement