Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting the Sweetness of Tomatoes

Options
  • 19-12-2014 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just made myself a chicken korma for dinner, and i found the sweetness of the tomatoes was a little too much

Chicken 350g
    Korma Paste 70g

Olive Oil x1Tsp

Onion 160g
    Garlic x4 Cloves
    Ginger 1/2Tsp
    Tinned Tomatoes x1 Can

Coconut Milk(82%) 100mls
    Water 100mls

Served with Rice and Green Beans

Was really tastey, but just found the sweetness from tomatoes a tad too much

Any recommendations on how to overcome this issue?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Usually add a bit of of vinegar- (half a teaspoon -?)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Markcheese wrote: »
    Usually add a bit of of vinegar- (half a teaspoon -?)

Any type of vinegar?

Would rice vinegar, white wine vinegar do?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

White wine vinegar would do. I usually add the juice of a lime to my curries just before serving. The fresh, tart taste gives it a real lift.

I'd also note that you have a lot of liquid in your curry. Less liquid & the flavours would be more concentrated. You'd be less likely to have an issue with sweetness. I definitely would leave out the 100ml of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You could replace the tinned tomatoes with fresh, chopped (ideally skinned) tomatoes.
    The dish would be less red, if that's ok?

White wine vinegar would do. I usually add the juice of a lime to my curries just before serving. The fresh, tart taste gives it a real lift.

I'd also note that you have a lot of liquid in your curry. Less liquid & the flavours would be more concentrated. You'd be less likely to have an issue with sweetness. I definitely would leave out the 100ml of water.

I was actually reviewing the dish this morning and was like I don't need the water when I use the tomatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

considering all the quantities 1kg of tomato sounds like a lot. I would think 600g of tomatoes and as the hill billy says, 1-2 tbs lemon or lime juice will lift it nicely. Vinegar goes better with spicier curries imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It depends what you're doing.

You could use vinegar or lemon juice.

Or, use some greener tomatoes.

considering all the quantities 1kg of tomato sounds like a lot. I would think 600g of tomatoes and as the hill billy says, 1-2 tbs lemon or lime juice will lift it nicely. Vinegar goes better with spicier curries imho.

One can of tomatoes(400g)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

One can of tomatoes(400g)

Ah I misread that sorry, 400g makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

What are you using the tomatoes in?

If it's a pasta sauce, use lemon juice and balance the acid with a finely grated carrot.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    What are you using the tomatoes in?

If it's a pasta sauce, use lemon juice and balance the acid with a finely grated carrot.

It was just a tick korma curry...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Advertisement