Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False heat in neutered cat?

• 19-12-2014 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Peach is driving me bananas. I'm nearly sure she's in a false heat. Every month or so she goes through a period of being extra friendly and loving and getting extemely hyper, and "presenting" if you rub her tail base, but this time it's like she's calling. She was sitting on my lap and I was playing drums on her back which she loves, but this evening while I was doing is she was crying, purring insanely and running into everything around her. And if I pick her up with a hand under her tummy she gives out. I don't know what's going on with her, but to me it seems like a false heat. Has anyone had any experiences of this with cats? She was neutered at 5/6 months, and is now 5.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

As far as I know, the heat season for cats is not all year round. Especially this time of the year.
    Cats usually have heat from mid or end of January until September.
    More, not neutered cats have heats more often that once a month. They go through cycles that last a week or so. It means that they have "friendlier" behaviour for 5-7 days, then they get back to normality for about the same time length, then friendly again and so on.
    Anyway it is not uncommon that the neutering surgery isn't totally successful, that means that ovaries aren't fully removed, some "fragments" of tissue might remain in place and give these symptoms.
    Ask your vet if there's any test that can be run to understand whether this is such a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just an update on this, I think there could be more going on than a false heat, I noticed some smelly discharge on her back end this evening and she freaked out and scraped me when I touched her tail base. Now I'm thinking does she have a stump pyometra or something :eek: though it's probably not. Going to bring her to the vet in the morning just in case though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Please, let us know!

Figured out the problem with no vet intervention needed - anal glands! Ick! I noticed she was a bit swollen so I prodded it to see if it was warm/sore like an abcess and a load of the same discharge came flying out. Anyone who knows these glands knows you'll never mistake the smell for anything else. So I expressed her, which she was not happy about, gave her a dose of metacam and she's happy out now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Figured out the problem with no vet intervention needed - anal glands! Ick! I noticed she was a bit swollen so I prodded it to see if it was warm/sore like an abcess and a load of the same discharge came flying out. Anyone who knows these glands knows you'll never mistake the smell for anything else. So I expressed her, which she was not happy about, gave her a dose of metacam and she's happy out now :)

Hope your kitty if feeling much better and the smell wasn't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Never knew cats could have anal sac problems - not something I ever wish to have to cope with in practice :D

Hope she's better now SMX.

boomerang wrote: »
    Never knew cats could have anal sac problems - not something I ever wish to have to cope with in practice :D

Hope she's better now SMX.

To be honest I've never heard of it in cats either but you know your self, you'll never mistake the smell for anything else! She seems to be doing better, at least she hasn't tried to murder me since, but she is due vaccines soon so I'll get them to give her back end a full check then just in case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I've never seen a cat with anal gland issues either!

Advertisement