Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to Larger or not to Larger

Options
  • 19-12-2014 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

I've been experimenting for a while now and since the start always aimed to create a pils type larger but I think its fair to say more than often landed on an ale mainly because fermentation temperatures where high (wrong location) and times short (impatient).

Now that I'm getting the hang of it... a little... how do I know whether I brewed an ale or a lager.

Reason I'm asking is I opened a bottle that tasted uncanny like a Smythics despite trying to create a larger. It was nice... but not what I expected.

I presume when it comes down to it its all in the taste...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Short answer: lager is made with a lager yeast strain; ale is made with an ale yeast strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

huh... thanks beernut... but now I am confused... and I know you know your stuff as you've helped me many times over...

Here's my confusion -

I used Bohemian Larger Yeast at first fermenting at both high and low temps and just tried a few new batches with Workhorse Yeast with the line "Suitable to ferment lager styles at 15-20 degrees C and all other beer styles at 20-32 degrees C" but also have a Belgian Ale Yeast batch but that's not ready yet.

So you're telling me that if I ferment a larger yeast at a higher temp its still a larger even though I didn't 'lager' it...

sorry for all the nerdy questions here but just trying to understand the craft...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

It's lager, not larger. Lager means 'store'in German.

Lager is beer fermented at cold temperatures using top fermenting lager yeast strains. It typically takes at least 8 weeks to produce one.

Ale is beer fermented at warmer temps, generally more quickly using bottom fermenting ale yeast strains.

Bohemian Lager Yeast should be used at 8-12 degrees to produce pils or pale lager styles. One of its quirks is that it is tolerant at higher temps and can also be used as a general yeast.

This is fairly fundamental stuff, a good homebrew book would be helpful for this stuff.

Thanks drumswan... I thought I was gettting places and not even off the start line... so much more to learn...

Note: I get the lager thing... was only playing on the bit of not storing it right...

I did some more reading... for some reasonm the yeast type bit never registered with me... I'll keep expriementing...

thanks again... and answering yet another one of my possibly stupid questions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

drumswan wrote: »
    Lager is beer fermented at cold temperatures using top fermenting lager yeast strains. It typically takes at least 8 weeks to produce one.

Ale is beer fermented at warmer temps, generally more quickly using bottom fermenting ale yeast strains.

Just to clarify so that people dont get mixed up, a lager yeast is a bottom fermenting yeast strain and ale is top fermenting.

Strictly speaking, they both ferment all through the wort ;)

i'm pulling back to basic... had some great brews and have now straid off the course.. no head, lacking depth, etc... not quite sure where it all went wrong... it was tasting better when i didn't know what i was doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thelaoislad

I bought a Muntons 2 can Pilnser at the wend , will brew it up some time soon ..
    i m bit confused now about the temp, should I brew it below my normal 20oC ?

I normally then leave it in the bottle for 2 weeks at the same brewing temp of 20
    I was going to just use the yeast that came with the kit
    aim for about 2 weeks before bottling
    then move to gargage at about 8-10 oC for 5-6 weeks ?

and new advice on a Pilsner appreciated

If it's like most lager kits, it's only pretending to be a lager and is actually a blonde ale. Ferment and condition at room temperature as usual.

• Advertisement

fair enough , tks Beernut ..
    let you know how it turns out later ..
    would i be as well to stick to 'proper ales ' so ?
    not a great larger drinker, just thought i'd try it

would i be as well to stick to 'proper ales ' so ?
    Depends completely on your personal taste. The main thing is not to expect something similar to a commercial lager to come out of a lager kit.

Agree with beernut, none of my larger pilsner attempts got anywhere near what I was aiming for.... but none the less some really tasty brews and the pride that I made it myself.

Would ye advise me to use the yeast that came with the kit so , or get a specific larger yeast ?
    its a 2 can Muntons Pilsner ..little bit more pricy than the coopers, I thought it might give a beter result , now im starting to regret getting it , even before i brew it up !

Didnt know larger would be so difficult , but so long as it s drinkable I'll be happy enough

Just use the kit one and make it as a blonde ale. There's much more to making proper lager than just the type of yeast.

Ok tks, I'll try that it that way and let ye know the results ..think I was mis lead on making the larger when i bough the last few kits

Advertisement