Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathfarnham Buses Rush Hour

Options
  • 19-12-2014 6:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm moving to Rathfarnham in the next few weeks and working near the docklands/convention center in town. I'd probably be looking at the 15b bus from ballyboden road. Is it really going to take me 70 mins (google maps) to travel those 10km each way when working 9-5??

Does anyone have any other alternatives? I was hoping not to have to buy a car but if its going to be considerably quicker than the bus then I would do it. I could run 10km in less than 70 mins!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

IrishIrish wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm moving to Rathfarnham in the next few weeks and working near the docklands/convention center in town. I'd probably be looking at the 15b bus from ballyboden road. Is it really going to take me 70 mins (google maps) to travel those 10km each way when working 9-5??

Does anyone have any other alternatives? I was hoping not to have to buy a car but if its going to be considerably quicker than the bus then I would do it. I could run 10km in less than 70 mins!

It's a 20 minute cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

ted1 wrote: »
    It's a 20 minute cycle

I was just about to say that cycling is your best option. From Rathfarnham all the way to rathmines is a complete bottle neck. Take advantage of your bike to work scheme and get a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A car is the last thing you want, Clanbrassil St and the Quays could take you an hour alone, plus the hassle and cost of parking. At least there are some bus lanes sections available. Youd probably walk it in 90 mins but yeah the bike would be 30 mins, even for a novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Yeh everyone says to cycle but tbh I've never cycled anywhere on road and wudn't be very confident at all doing it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Yeh everyone says to cycle but tbh I've never cycled anywhere on road and wudn't be very confident at all doing it :(

I felt exactly the same a few years ago. In the beginning, just take your time and make sure that you're very visible. The technology used in cycling these days is extremely advanced and cycling is a very different kettle of fish from days gone by - the bike does the work, not you! If it was dangerous and difficult, you wouldn't the volume of cyclists that you do! There's a cycle lane all the way in too. You'll be safe once you're not an idiot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I started cycling to work in September 15km each direction.

Hadn't been on a bike in 16 years. You'll be grand and get fit in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Thanks for the replies guys, have decided over the weekend to go with cycling. The more I think about it, the less reasons I can think of for not doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Best of luck with it, and enjoy. Id suggest a Sunday dry run so you can anticipate the tight spots etc, but you will be grand!

Advertisement