Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleted Data.. Stupid Me!

Options
  • 19-12-2014 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

I stupidly deleted all my gallery on my mobile last night without realising what i had done. It contained images and videos from the last year and a half of my 2 sons.

Heading into the phone doctor in town in a few to try see can he get them back but for now i am devastated! Priceless memories gone!

I am so angry with myself! Grrr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Did you not back them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

What phone do you have? Android or iPhone. See if you have set up your photos to backup to the cloud. Check iCloud if you have an iPhone. Check Google Plus Photos, Facebook backs up photos too as do Dropbox if you have that app installed. Loads of apps could have backuped your photos too such as Amazon or the microsoft apps if you have or use them.

Everyone should backup their photos to at least one cloud storage place. Encrypt them if you are worried about security but I'm not really taking photos personally that would interest the FBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Im not overly tech savvy. I can do basic things on a computer and set settings on my phone. Which is a Samsung galaxy. I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how to back things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

If it's Gallery on Android, then they will still be on the phone (hopefully the SD card rather than internal). For now, do NOT take any more photos or add any new large files to the phone as you can overwrite them. Connect your phone to your PC using USB (or take out the SD if you have one) and use Recuva (by makes of CCleaner) to scan and restore the photos / videos. Technically they are not gone, the phone just thinks there is now more free space so it's easy to restore them. Will look like:

Capture91.png

Your device should appear as a removable disk, if not then comment again later and we can help.

I actually don't even have a computer in the house at the min. Ha. Heading to the guy in town known as the phone doctor. Im hoping its like when you delete files on computer. They are still in the recycle bin or its just a matter of pressing undo enough times. Fingers crossed .

• Advertisement

trixychic wrote: »
    I actually don't even have a computer in the house at the min. Ha. Heading to the guy in town known as the phone doctor. Im hoping its like when you delete files on computer. They are still in the recycle bin or its just a matter of pressing undo enough times. Fingers crossed .
    It is technically, only you will need to restore the deleted files to a PC first. Its a five minute job, don't let him overcharge you and tell him you haven't wrote to the phone since it happened, even suggest he use Recuva. The files aren't gone, the table of the SD card has just been changed to say its empty.

Just got it back now. And they are all back!

Hallaluja!

So next step. How the hell do i back them up?

Oh and it was €15. Best money ever spent!

trixychic wrote: »
    Just got it back now. And they are all back!

Hallaluja!

So next step. How the hell do i back them up?

Oh and it was €15. Best money ever spent!
    Great stuff, if you install Google+, the Google Photos app will come included and if you launch it and sign in, it will automatically back up all photos and videos for free (unlimited for 5MP images, it will resize them) or you can pay for storage, its only $2 per month for 100GB for full size. Then after, any photos you take will automatically backup and be viewable on any Google device you have as well as online.

Oh i think i have Google plus. Brilliant. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd also get them backed up on DVD or flash drive too.

People get hacked or get locked out of their online gmail/google accounts so its wise to have a copy somewhere else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement