Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting Strength

• 19-12-2014 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Has anybody ever tried this? Did it take long to notice results? I got the PDF yesterday but I can't seem to find how much weight you start off with in the workouts? Would like to hear feedback from anyone that did it. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

biffo2014 wrote: »
    Has anybody ever tried this? Did it take long to notice results? I got the PDF yesterday but I can't seem to find how much weight you start off with in the workouts? Would like to hear feedback from anyone that did it. Thanks :)

I didn't do it, but I know people who have and they made great progress on it, strength and physique-wise. It's not specified how much weight you start with because you need to know that yourself, everyone's different so your 1RM might be way different to another beginner's. All the programs pretty much follow the same concept; compound movements, good form and progressive overload. Make sure your diet is good and calorie levels fit your weight goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Either that or Stronglifts, they basically focus on learning the big compound movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭biffo2014

Thanks for the replys. Well I'm 90kg but my 1RM is roughly in around 60kg. Do I start of on that or do I do for example, 60% of 1RM and the progress that way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Start with an empty bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Start very light.

It's not a race so there's no harm in training within yourself for a while and working on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭biffo2014

Thanks for the replies everyone. Gonna start now New Year's Day with this till around march. Then just one night a week for maintenance due to the Gaa season starting back then.

When I start with an empty bar on my first day what weight do I go to? Like do I just do whatever I'm comfortable with and that I can use with correct form and work from there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Hi,

I've lost just over two stone since Christmas through watching my diet, some light cardio and weight training. I was doing a push/pull/legs split, mostly compound lifts with the odd set of curls. Nothing hugely imaginative but it served its purpose and got me in the mood for something a bit more structured.

I've just come across Starting Strength and it's really captured my imagination. I love that whole no-nonsense approach and the book has that 'tried and tested' feel which is especially comforting when so many fitness magazines and websites say such contradictory things.

However, I have some concerns about how appropriate it might be for me personally. Hopefully some of the experienced lifters on here might be able to offer some useful advice.

My first concern is about the weight gain. I understand from the book that in order to progress you need to put on weight, or at the very least not be so precious about having a bit of a belly. Well I've struggled with my weight all of my life. At times it has really gotten me down. I feel like a new man having lost two stone and I want that feeling to continue as much as possible.

I'm not precious about how I look (I'm a long way off having a beach body!) but it's been a long time since I had a flat(ish) stomach and I'm a bit paranoid about losing it. I know that sounds a bit shallow, and god knows Rippetoe takes the piss out of guys that say such things, but I've been to some very dark places as a result of my body-image and I need to handle any potential weight gain very carefully.

My second concern relates to the diet. I have two types of inflammatory bowel disease. As a result of this I find it very hard to digest anything more than 2500 calories. More significantly, I find it hard to digest anything more than 150g of protein per day. Plus, I need to eat relatively small portion sizes. I'm not sure if any of these are deal-breakers but at the very least I'm going to find it hard meeting the dietary requirements each day. I've tried supplements over the past few months and the odd protein shake is okay, but any more than that and I'm in trouble.

Finally, if we assume that I can't do the program as envisaged by Rippetoe, would following the exercises still be of use to me? Maybe even change the sets/reps to something more appropriate to my dietary limitations? Or are there better programs/exercises out there for people that can't meet the dietary needs for strength training?

Anyway, I hope this doesn't just read like typical newbie nonsense. Any advice or observations would be very welcome.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Starting Strength is a solid program for any beginners but don't take Rippetoe's word as the gospel. He wrote a good program, but it's pretty much aimed at the skinny 16yr old looking to get jacked but doesn't know **** aside from bicep curls and bench press.

The point is, stick with the program's emphasis on good form, compound movements>isolation exercises, and progression over the course of the program.

The rest of the stuff about calorie surplus, high protein diet etc. is important, but in your case just eat at maintenance ie enough to stay around the same bw each week, and get as much protein in which won't make you sick.

There's no shame in not wanting to be fat and if your bowels can't handle a high protein diet then there's no need to kill yourself. But the training aspect of SS is solid and as long as you're getting stronger week to week, especially in the first few months you'll get stronger and look better.

The books advice on diet is there to help you get as absolutely strong as possible. Excess calories facilitates that. But if weight gain is not desirable, there it's perfectly fine to do the lifting program as written, with you own sensible diet.

You'll build lots of strength on 2500 cake/150g protein. By not gaining weight you are only giving up a tiny edge.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    You'll build lots of strength on 2500 cake/150g protein. By not gaining weight you are only giving up a tiny edge.

Recipe, pls.

Starting Strength is a solid program for any beginners but don't take Rippetoe's word as the gospel. He wrote a good program, but it's pretty much aimed at the skinny 16yr old looking to get jacked but doesn't know **** aside from bicep curls and bench press.

The point is, stick with the program's emphasis on good form, compound movements>isolation exercises, and progression over the course of the program.

The rest of the stuff about calorie surplus, high protein diet etc. is important, but in your case just eat at maintenance ie enough to stay around the same bw each week, and get as much protein in which won't make you sick.

There's no shame in not wanting to be fat and if your bowels can't handle a high protein diet then there's no need to kill yourself. But the training aspect of SS is solid and as long as you're getting stronger week to week, especially in the first few months you'll get stronger and look better.
    The books advice on diet is there to help you get as absolutely strong as possible. Excess calories facilitates that. But if weight gain is not desirable, there it's perfectly fine to do the lifting program as written, with you own sensible diet.

Thanks guys for the advice and support!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Lads, as an aside, anyone know where you can get the Starting Strength book on paperback that doesn't involve shipping it from the US? paying more on delivery than for the book itself isn't very appealing and I think it would be great to have a physical copy.

Recipe, pls.

Lol, new phone is autocorrecting like mad.
    But muscle cake is gonna be the next big thing

Lol, new phone is autocorrecting like mad.
    But muscle cake is gonna be the next big thing

Branding takes care of itself:

Beefcake (TM)

Branding takes care of itself:

Beefcake (TM)

hqdefault.jpg

That's what sprung to mind alright.

No better ambassador for muscle cake :D

Lads, as an aside, anyone know where you can get the Starting Strength book on paperback that doesn't involve shipping it from the US? paying more on delivery than for the book itself isn't very appealing and I think it would be great to have a physical copy.

Have you considered the Kindle version? It works out at less than a tenner. The Kindle app for iOS/Android is great plus they've a great reader for viewing it on your laptop/desktop. I always prefer a hardcopy as well but the Kindle version is so much better than the PDF, which I suspect many of us have downloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

I just started a plan similar to this. I've never done 5x5 sets before so I'm just wondering what % of your max rep do u do?

I don't really feel a burn like I would by doing say ten reps and three sets. Is that normal?

deadybai wrote: »
    I just started a plan similar to this. I've never done 5x5 sets before so I'm just wondering what % of your max rep do u do?

I don't really feel a burn like I would by doing say ten reps and three sets. Is that normal?

Pick a weight you can do about 8 reps with. Err on the side of too light. You can't really go too light anyway and if you find it too easy, don't worry because you won't in a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Pick a weight you can do about 8 reps with. Err on the side of too light. You can't really go too light anyway and if you find it too easy, don't worry because you won't in a few weeks

Yep, you start really light with the program since its designed for people who don't lift and its focus is on lifting with correct form.

deadybai wrote: »

Most people starting out would should start all lifts with an empty bar. With more agressive weight jumps for the first few weeks.

If you are a bit more experienced, where you start really depend;
    What's your current 1RM, 5RM or 8RM?

Advertisement