Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city development plan

Options
  • 19-12-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Dublin City Council are taking submissions for the city development plan:

http://dublincitydevelopmentplan.ie/

I have made 2 short submissions, one calling for re-introduction of public toilets and the other calling for more on-street seating so that shoppers and workers can rest their tired feet.

It remains to be seen how seriously the submissions of ordinary joe soaps like me are taken

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Public toilets realistically arent going to happen. They would be expensive to maintain and would require probably around the clock staff. I lived in Munich for the Summer and there was no public toilets anywhere. This is one of the richest cities in Europe and has the best infrastructure. The only public toilets I know of are the ones in DCC, office on the quays. The only two times I have used them, I seen either syringe packets or alcohol swab packets for shooting up. I dont think Dublin can have public toilets at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I think more public spaces with seating is a great idea.

More incentives for walking and cycling, more penalties for private car traffic.

I'd also love to see tax breaks for better use of unused building space. Although much of it might need work to be properly functional, there is a huge amount of derelict space in the city center. Perhaps a grant scheme to make more of it functional.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They could use the unmanned self-cleaning toilets like they have in other cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

ror_74 wrote: »
    More incentives for walking and cycling, more penalties for private car traffic.

I'd also love to see tax breaks for better use of unused building space. Although much of it might need work to be properly functional, there is a huge amount of derelict space in the city center. Perhaps a grant scheme to make more of it functional.

Definitely this. The amount of properties that are just going to waste right now is shocking some Landlords just seem to have no interest in using them too which is very frustrating for those people like us who are looking for new units!

I use to cycle a lot in London and the cycle highways there were brilliant here it just feels like you spend too much time car dodging!

I would worry that in a lot of places more on street seating would just lead to more on street drinking.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    They could use the unmanned self-cleaning toilets like they have in other cities.

Even Watford has pop up toilets! Surely Dublin should be at least keeping up with Watford!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8iR3pgt37I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I would favour having the sort of toilets they have in France, where there is always an attendant on the premises whose costs are partly defrayed by a modest entrance fee or at least a tip-plate.

More street seating does not appear to lead to more street drinking in Belfast, which in terms of street seating should be a model for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

All these thing seem like a nice idea. Unfortunately DCC has conciously centered all of Leinster's drug problem in the city center by putting most of the methadone clinics in prime city center locations.

So none of this is worthwhile until someone wakes up and cleans up the city center. Neither is it worthwhile until we have a proper police force in the city. Which we don't.

It really is scandalous how Dublin City Council has aided and abetted the disintegration of the northside of the city in particular through stupid policy making and epic blindness. They have made it a play ground for junkies and scrotes. Giving them chairs (like giving them a boardwalk) is like giving children swings in a playground.

Of course they made the same mistake with the board walk when some fool in DCC (the same organisation that has done so much damage to the city in the first place) thought Dublin was a northern version of Paris. Oh how we have learnt to our cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

We cannot allow the scrotes to deprive the rest of us of facilities that are taken for granted in most of the civilised world.

As a citizen working in Dublin, I am as entitled to seats and toilets as a citizen of any other city.

I often sit and have a coffee on the boardwalk. It works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Not another junky thread - its xmas :pac:

Seriously, I think DCC are moving in the right direction. There is definitely value in the low hanging fruit of planning permision reform, traffic management etc.

Its also good to see a policy on social inclusion. What would be great to see is better co-ordination between departments, suchs as the HSE and the Guards on future plans.

Maybe it should start by asking both of them what kind of services they would like to see take shape ? Actually, there should be a much better system of public consultation other than asking for comments. How will they quantify potentially thousands of responses? A survey is a better way to engage stakeholders. No point in asking people what they think if they cant make any sense of the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ror_74 wrote: »
    How will they quantify potentially thousands of responses?
    Who cares what the public think?

"Public consultation - tick."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Usually responses will get broken down by theme and then addressed as a group. There should be report published after the public consultation closes. It's not a box ticking exercise.

Advertisement