Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool VS Arsenal Sunday(16.00 ko) Anfield - Mod Note Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

niallo27 wrote: »
    Stoke were 3 nil up against 2 weeks ago. Arsenal ain't that good. If it was the Emirates then maybe but not at anfield.

Completely different playing a confident Stoke at the Brittania. Liverpool are nowhere near as physical as Stoke. At this moment in time the way arsenal has performed their last two games it's a great time to meet out of sorts Liverpool team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Completely different playing a confident Stoke at the Brittania. Liverpool are nowhere near as physical as Stoke. At this moment in time the way arsenal has performed their last two games it's a great time to meet out of sorts Liverpool team

Chelsea had to play really well to win at anfield. Arsenal have lost 3 of their last 6 league games. I can't see where the over confidence is coming from. Liverpools league form isn't that bad in the last few weeks. They were not that bad against utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Remember the days when it was just Turty that hated Arsenal and no one else was too bothered.
    Now there's as much hatred as v Utd

Which is baffling to me. Arsenal don't win stuff. Where this blind hatred developed and why is a little beyond me. Arsenal are interesting I guess, but it's hard to feel too much antipathy for a team that struggle for fourth every year as the height of their ambition you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Yeah like why would pool fans hate arsenal.

I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Which is baffling to me. Arsenal don't win stuff. Where this blind hatred developed and why is a little beyond me. Arsenal are interesting I guess, but it's hard to feel too much antipathy for a team that struggle for fourth every year as the height of their ambition you know?

I think it starred with the Suarez +£1 thing.

Chelsea had to play really well to win at anfield. Arsenal have lost 3 of their last 6 league games. I can't see where the over confidence is coming from. Liverpools league form isn't that bad in the last few weeks. They were not that bad against utd.

The confidence is coming from how easy Liverpool are to play against look at the chances they gave up against Bournemouth midweek. I think Arsenal turned a corner last they looked solid at the back gave up few chances. Then you have Gidroud back among the goals combined with Sanchez and Welbeck look devastating Along with Cazorla form improving. So put all that together Arsenal looking solid at the back against a misfiring front line for Liverpool. A devastating Arsenal front line against a very shaky Liverpool defence. A Liverpool who has just exit the CL and lost 3-0 to their biggest rivals as I said perfect time to play them

I think it starred with the Suarez +£1 thing.

So it's Arsenal fans that it's stemming from so. I'm not sure why ye would be bothered reciprocating so from a Liverpool fan perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I love the arrogance.
    Good work fella!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

RasTa wrote: »
    Jones in goal apparently so 4-2 Arsenal

The absolute trolling from this post. Jones to only concede four goals???

Mods, ban him please.

• Advertisement

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I have absolutely no hatred whatsoever towards Arsenal. They just don't bother me at all (apart from when the beat us of course), but other than that, meh.

The confidence is coming from how easy Liverpool are to play against look at the chances they gave up against Bournemouth midweek. I think Arsenal turned a corner last they looked solid at the back gave up few chances. Then you have Gidroud back among the goals combined with Sanchez and Welbeck look devastating Along with Cazorla form improving. So put all that together Arsenal looking solid at the back against a misfiring front line for Liverpool. A devastating Arsenal front line against a very shaky Liverpool defence. A Liverpool who has just exit the CL and lost 3-0 to their biggest rivals as I said perfect time to play them

Arsenal got torn apart by Stoke the league game before last. They have lost 3 of the last 6. Are you saying they turned the corner after one home against Newcastle and a dead rubber of a CL game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Dont think itll be an easy game for us Sunday. We have really struggled against the mediocre sides in the league and against Liverpool it will be no different. Predict a 1-1 draw.

Arsenal got torn apart by Stoke the league game before last. They have lost 3 of the last 6. Are you saying they turned the corner after one home against Newcastle and a dead rubber of a CL game.

Wouldn't say torn apart. Found it hard with Stoke's direct play. They played on Monreal in at CB the struggled with long ball and crosses into the box. Do Liverpool play like that with Sterling leading the line ???? Arsenal nearly got a draw out of the stoke game as bad as they were. Not only them games no. They were also very good against Dortmund in a very important game. Clean sheet in that game also

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Dont think itll be an easy game for us Sunday. We have really struggled against the mediocre sides in the league and against Liverpool it will be no different. Predict a 1-1 draw.

Oh you

Wouldn't say torn apart. Found it hard with Stoke's direct play. They played on Monreal in at CB the struggled with long ball and crosses into the box. Do Liverpool play like that with Sterling leading the line ???? Arsenal nearly got a draw out of the stoke game as bad as they were. Not only them games no. They were also very good against Dortmund in a very important game. Clean sheet in that game also

Yes but mixed in with them games arsenal have had some shockers too. It's impossible to know what arsenal will show up Sunday.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I love the arrogance.
    Good work fella!

Interesting! Point of order on the below:
    i'm hoping for a brace from Welbz. and Giroud to continue his fine form.

Sterling's pace against our makeshift defence is scary, but last seasons 5-1 was a freak result, like last season in general for liverpool.

thankfully things have normalised and we should see an arsenal victory.
    Sorry Niallo,

in my opinion it was a freak result and a freak season.

but lets not argue, it's the time for goodwill and peace among men.

1)

Liverpool's "freak" season was their second title challenge to the wire within 6 seasons. How many times did Arsenal go right to the wire for the league in that period?

2)

You may claim it was a "freak" result but if you really think about it, you might find that Arsenal having their dreams ground into the dust during Six Nations season is quite a normal occurrence since the invincibles era. Liverpool delivered the crushing blow last year, it will be some other team this year. Sunrise, sunset.

As I say, you lads seem to have the chip on your shoulder. Maybe understandably when one considers the last decade.

Yes but mixed in with them games arsenal have had some shockers too. It's impossible to know what arsenal will show up Sunday.

Nearly guaranteed what Liverpool will turn up tho. Thats why I'm confident in Arsenal victory

I agree niallo. Arsenal are inconsistent this year.
    Should be interesting on Sunday anyway.
    Personally I'm feeling good about the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're rubbish
    I'll be annoyed but not surprised.

I agree niallo. Arsenal are inconsistent this year.
    Should be interesting on Sunday anyway.
    Personally I'm feeling good about the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're rubbish
    I'll be annoyed but not surprised.

Both bases covered there so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Drab 0-0 that makes us question why we watch football at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

1)

Liverpool's "freak" season was their second title challenge to the wire within 6 seasons. How many times did Arsenal go right to the wire for the league in that period?

2)

You may claim it was a "freak" result but if you really think about it, you might find that Arsenal having their dreams ground into the dust during Six Nations season is quite a normal occurrence since the invincibles era. Liverpool delivered the crushing blow last year, it will be some other team this year. Sunrise, sunset.

As I say, you lads seem to have the chip on your shoulder. Maybe understandably when one considers the last decade.

Great post lloyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

1)

2)

:D

So Lloyd you're bigging up two close title runs in the past six years? Something to tell the grandkids about no doubt!

"gather round my little sprites and I'll tell you a tale of how we had two title challenges in six years, no titles in 25, but glorious failure is much more our thing!"

Regarding top four being the height of our ambition, it's the minimum. A point of order, we've bought the likes of sanchez and ozil in the past two seasons. Youve bought Ricky lambert. It's unfair to cite a lack of ambition at arsenal when fabian Delph is touted the replacement for one of your greatest ever players.

Youve seen how difficult it is to maintain a club amongst the elite. this season you've been forced to sell the best player at the club, spent the money in a frenzy of mediocrity, failed to progress from as handy a champions league group as you could get, and your club currently sit mired in mid table.

We might not have had a great decade trophywise. our long term planning to emerge with the new stadium done and dusted didn't take into consideration the Chelsea and city cash injection, but that's okay, we won a trophy last year, qualified comfortably among the elite, again, and signed a world class player.

Not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm conflicted.
    Jones in goals means we will concede.
    But we have Skrtel the Grappler in defence so that means we shouldn't concede.
    But Sakho is back so that means we should concede.
    But Johnson is injured do that means we shouldn't concede.
    But Rodgers insists on playing Gerrard as a dm so that means we should concede.
    But Flanno is on his way back so we shouldn't concede.

It's like the cat stuck to the buttered toast.

Interesting approach Rodgers has lately what with playing with no strikers and no goalkeeper .

If Emre can plays he could overrun flamini no problem.
    Could be key.

If Emre can plays he could overrun flamini no problem.
    Could be key.

He won't play, so don't fret. Also if you're worried about Borini's movement, don't be same issue as Can.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    He won't play, so don't fret. Also if you're worried about Borini's movement, don't be same issue as Can.

He's the kind of big physical midfielder who would cause us problems though.

He's the kind of big physical midfielder who would cause us problems though.

And a big physical midfielder that would likely solve some of ours, pity he doesn't play though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Let's be honest, neither Arsenal or Liverpool fans are going to gathering their grand kids around the table to wax lyrical about their 6 seasons from 2008-2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The 5-1 game was great entertainment last year

Could be Arsenal handing out a spanking Sunday, Sanchez is a class above most players in the league and Liverpool have nothing that compares.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'm conflicted.
    Jones in goals means we will concede.
    But we have Skrtel the Grappler in defence so that means we shouldn't concede.
    But Sakho is back so that means we should concede.
    But Johnson is injured do that means we shouldn't concede.
    But Rodgers insists on playing Gerrard as a dm so that means we should concede.
    But Flanno is on his way back so we shouldn't concede.

It's like the cat stuck to the buttered toast.

Interesting approach Rodgers has lately what with playing with no strikers and no goalkeeper .

The cat stuck to the buttered toast? LMFAO, OwaynOTT, not the image I expect in my head going to sleep...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

So Lloyd you're bigging up two close title runs in the past six years? Something to tell the grandkids about no doubt!

"gather round my little sprites and I'll tell you a tale of how we had two title challenges in six years, no titles in 25, but glorious failure is much more our thing!"

Regarding top four being the height of our ambition, it's the minimum. A point of order, we've bought the likes of sanchez and ozil in the past two seasons. Youve bought Ricky lambert. It's unfair to cite a lack of ambition at arsenal when fabian Delph is touted the replacement for one of your greatest ever players.

Youve seen how difficult it is to maintain a club amongst the elite. this season you've been forced to sell the best player at the club, spent the money in a frenzy of mediocrity, failed to progress from as handy a champions league group as you could get, and your club currently sit mired in mid table.

We might not have had a great decade trophywise. our long term planning to emerge with the new stadium done and dusted didn't take into consideration the Chelsea and city cash injection, but that's okay, we won a trophy last year, qualified comfortably among the elite, again, and signed a world class player.

Not bad.

In fairness you were clamped mate. Good and proper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

1)

2)

tumblr_mzi7ktPV6s1r6jnjdo1_400.gif

Not bad.

daniel-jacobs-giovanni-lorenzo-face.gif?w=640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's a f*cking brilliant post. :P

Not bad.

Not bad. Your 13 points off the top and it's not even Christmas. How long before the stadium stops being an excuse. Yes arsenal have signed a few world class players but they are getting further away from winning a league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Silly stuff from both sides tbh.

Obviously the only thing Liverpool have that I have any envy of is the champions league.

Arsenal are in a far better position now but it won't really matter unless they do something with it one of these years.

This slagging from supporters of two second rate teams is sad. It does seem to follow Liverpool around on these boards though.

I really hope Arsenal win but you can't tell whether they'll turn up or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Gringo180 wrote: »

Alongside Tottenham (my team BTW) I would class Liverpool as one of the more vulnerable sides in the pl as they are a side in poor form that think they have the quality to be in the top 4 but cannot figure out why its not working for them.

Not bad. Your 13 points off the top and it's not even Christmas. How long before the stadium stops being an excuse. Yes arsenal have signed a few world class players but they are getting further away from winning a league.

Niallo, my final word on this as I'm not into arguments or point scoring, the stadium isn't an excuse. As I said we've emerged from that burden and it's already paying dividends, enabling us to make big signings and pay significant wages without the need for a sugar daddy.
    Personally I don't think we'll win a league whilst arsene is in charge as he's not ruthless enough on a number of levels. But the club as an organisation is well placed due to the long term planning and financial stability that the last decade has given and that's a positive thing.
    As chucky said the last ten years are hardly vintage years for either club. Looking forward I'm pleased with arsenals outlook.
    That's all I can say on it.

• Advertisement

Niallo, my final word on this as I'm not into arguments or point scoring, the stadium isn't an excuse. As I said we've emerged from that burden and it's already paying dividends, enabling us to make big signings and pay significant wages without the need for a sugar daddy.
    Personally I don't think we'll win a league whilst arsene is in charge as he's not ruthless enough on a number of levels. But the club as an organisation is well placed due to the long term planning and financial stability that the last decade has given and that's a positive thing.
    As chucky said the last ten years are hardly vintage years for either club. Looking forward I'm pleased with arsenals outlook.
    That's all I can say on it.

I wasn't trying to start an argument. I think wenger should have gone two years ago. He is holding arsenal back and letting them slip into a second teir of teams a top player would look at. A team like arsenal should be challenging at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I wasn't trying to.start an argumea I think wenger shod have gone two years ago. He is holding arsenal back and letting them slip into a second teir of teams a top player would look at. A team like arsenal should be challenging at the very least.

And who put arsenal there? Wenger signed a 3 year contract at the start of the season, finishing it out is the least he deserves.

Top players are still signing for arsenal whilst Liverpool are selling theirs. Win or lose tomorrow arsenal will finish higher in the league and qualify for top 4. Liverpool will finish somewhere mid table and possibly get a Europa league spot.

I wasn't trying to start an argument. I think wenger should have gone two years ago. He is holding arsenal back and letting them slip into a second teir of teams a top player would look at. A team like arsenal should be challenging at the very least.

Cool, I think wenger should probably have left after last season, but I'll always be thankful for having him at the club. I'd agree that Arsenal are second tier, if you put top tier as Real, Barca, Bayern, man utd, man City, Chelsea, PSG, maybe juve? at the top in terms of attractiveness. For some players wenger is a draw though.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    And who put arsenal there? Wenger signed a 3 year contract at the start of the season, finishing it out is the least he deserves.

Top players are still signing for arsenal whilst Liverpool are selling theirs. Win or lose tomorrow arsenal will finish higher in the league and qualify for top 4. Liverpool will finish somewhere mid table and possibly get a Europa league spot.

In the decade before Wenger Arsenal won:
    League Title twice
    FA Cup once
    League Cup once
    Cup Winners Cup once

So they weren't exactly struggling before Wenger.

Since Wenger in close to 20 years now:
    league 3 times
    fa cup 5 times

So 5 titles in 10 years and 8 titles in 18 year(?).

Oranage2 wrote: »

That's all very well but arsenal should be challenging and whilst they are not they are losing their appeal to top players. If liverpool had bit of form arsenal would be in danger of slipping out of the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

That's all very well but arsenal should be challenging and whilst they are not they are losing their appeal to top players.

Really? Are Ozil and Sanchez not top players?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Fair play to that Boxing post! A stroke of genius, very appropriate!

I'm a Liverpool fan but I certainly don't think we can be slagging Arsenal as a club, we'd love to be in the position they are, squad wise, stadium wise etc etc...

That's all very well but arsenal should be challenging and whilst they are not they are losing their appeal to top players. If liverpool had bit of form arsenal would be in danger of slipping out of the top 4.

I see your point , but you can also say that we've attracted two top players in the past two seasons.

Really? Are Ozil and Sanchez not top players?

Well Ozil is a flop for the money that was paid for him, Sanchez is a super player to be fair. What i am saying is these palyers will get harder and harder to attract while wenger is in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well Ozil is a flop for the money that was paid for him, Sanchez is a super player to be fair. What i am saying is these palyers will get harder and harder to attract while wenger is in charge.

Wenger is a big draw for some players, stories of Ozil and ramsey signing because wenger met them personally.

Also people said the same things about Rafa, that pool wouldn't challenge with him as manager. Look how that turned out, over 400 million spent and pools average league season is 7th since he's left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In fairness, if I was a manager I'd be raging if one of my players got themselves a match ban for racist posts on twitter.

Suarez was one thing, but at least he produced on the pitch.
    Would have thought Balotelli was already on thin ice.

Has Rodgers made any comment on it ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement