Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool VS Arsenal Sunday(16.00 ko) Anfield - Mod Note Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Wenger is a big draw for some players, stories of Ozil and ramsey signing because wenger met them personally.

Also people said the same things about Rafa, that pool wouldn't challenge with him as manager. Look how that turned out, over 400 million spent and pools average league season is 7th since he's left.

Rafa did challenge. I dont know why your are bringing him up. Why does every reply have to be "but liverpool are ****". Arsenal are regressing under Wenger despite having all the resources to be challengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Fair play to that Boxing post! A stroke of genius, very appropriate!

I'm a Liverpool fan but I certainly don't think we can be slagging Arsenal as a club, we'd love to be in the position they are, squad wise, stadium wise etc etc...
    I wouldn't mind a few years of Arsenal-type failure, tbh.

I think they are a super club, doing things the right way, not becoming an extension of the ego of sugar-daddy, playing good football and encouraging youth. Arsene Wenger did what was almost impossible, keeping Arsenal at the top table while having to sell their best players while building and paying for a new stadium.

Top marks for that, imo.

But, and it's a big but, he seems to have a blind spot for the defensive side of the game. While he had the remnants of the pre-Arsene defense in place, they were a formidable team and he doesn't seem to have replaced them adequately. In fairness, it would have been some achievement to do that.

He also seems to have a difficulty in spending money that is available to buy in quality starters but seems entrenched in promoting young players that don't seem to be good enough but i am really splitting hairs withe these last few paragraphs.

I wish Arsenal the best, but from monday on, we need the points more:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

5live wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a few years of Arsenal-type failure, tbh.

I think they are a super club, doing things the right way, not becoming an extension of the ego of sugar-daddy, playing good football and encouraging youth. Arsene Wenger did what was almost impossible, keeping Arsenal at the top table while having to sell their best players while building and paying for a new stadium.

Top marks for that, imo.

But, and it's a big but, he seems to have a blind spot for the defensive side of the game. While he had the remnants of the pre-Arsene defense in place, they were a formidable team and he doesn't seem to have replaced them adequately. In fairness, it would have been some achievement to do that.

He also seems to have a difficulty in spending money that is available to buy in quality starters but seems entrenched in promoting young players that don't seem to be good enough but i am really splitting hairs withe these last few paragraphs.

I wish Arsenal the best, but from monday on, we need the points more:p

Yup good post, pretty much sums up how I feel, you just took the time to go into detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    In the decade before Wenger Arsenal won:
    League Title twice
    FA Cup once
    League Cup once
    Cup Winners Cup once

So they weren't exactly struggling before Wenger.

Since Wenger in close to 20 years now:
    league 3 times
    fa cup 5 times

So 5 titles in 10 years and 8 titles in 18 year(?).

Our average position since Wenger took over: 2.5

Same decade you took before Wenger: 5.1

So we're twice as good overall. Not to mention the new stadium, consistently getting into Europe, one of if not the best season in the English league, entertaining football (remember 1-0 to The Arsenal?). Oh, and the man revolutionised English football in general, not just Arsenal. He introduced modern diets and training regimes. So, please do tell me how we were fine before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well Ozil is a flop for the money that was paid for him, Sanchez is a super player to be fair. What i am saying is these palyers will get harder and harder to attract while wenger is in charge.

Horsesh!t. You are just making things up now to suit your argument.
    The last two summers have seen Arsenal sign two of the biggest names they have ever signed despite not winning the league in so long.

Also, the fact Ozil hasn't been great is totally irrelevant to the original point, but I am sure you know that.

ronjo wrote: »
    Horsesh!t. You are just making things up now to suit your argument.
    The last two summers have seen Arsenal sign two of the biggest names they have ever signed despite not winning the league in so long.

Also, the fact Ozil hasn't been great is totally irrelevant to the original point, but I am sure you know that.

Was anyone else in for ozil. Course he was going to arsenal for that bonkers money. Arsenal are slipping down the order whether you want to believe it or not.

So we're twice as good overall. Not to mention the new stadium, consistently getting into Europe, one of if not the best season in the English league, entertaining football (remember 1-0 to The Arsenal?). Oh, and the man revolutionised English football in general, not just Arsenal. He introduced modern diets and training regimes. So, please do tell me how we were fine before him.

I think his point was Arsenal were a successful club before wenger joined. No one is denying the work wenger did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Was anyone else in for ozil.

Does it matter if you have the cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I wasn't trying to start an argument. .

You weren't?:confused:

That's all very well but arsenal should be challenging and whilst they are not they are losing their appeal to top players. If liverpool had bit of form arsenal would be in danger of slipping out of the top 4.

You mean if Liverpool had actually managed to buy a few decent players to replace the only good one they had that left?
    Well Ozil is a flop for the money that was paid for him, Sanchez is a super player to be fair. What i am saying is these palyers will get harder and harder to attract while wenger is in charge.

Actually, because Arsenal have built the stadium, and now have the income, these players are getting easier and easier to attract. Sanchez, Ozil, Welbeck were all signed in the last two years and for sums higher than Arsenal's previous transfer record.

Arsenal are buying from Real Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester United.

Liverpool are buying from the bargain bin in places like Southampton.

Godge wrote: »
    You weren't?:confused:

You mean if Liverpool had actually managed to buy a few decent players to replace the only good one they had that left?

Actually, because Arsenal have built the stadium, and now have the income, these players are getting easier and easier to attract. Sanchez, Ozil, Welbeck were all signed in the last two years and for sums higher than Arsenal's previous transfer record.

Arsenal are buying from Real Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester United.

Liverpool are buying from the bargain bin in places like Southampton.

Why is the normal response to knock liverpool. Utd spent a lot of money on a Southampton player. Are you telling me wellbeck was a big name signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The league was more variable back then. Crystal Place, Leeds, Villa and Forrest all finished in the top 4 between 88-93. So it was harder to constantly get into top few positions.
    Not knocking his contribution to the premiership but Arsenal were not exactly in dire straits before him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Was anyone else in for ozil. Course he was going to arsenal for that bonkers money. Arsenal are slipping down the order whether you want to believe it or not.

We're probably near enough the same order as before in terms of transfers, a lot of the Italian teams have dropped down and some other teams have popped up. Signings like Ozil and Sanchez's proves Arsenal are still amongst the top teams, football wise we might be dropping as the Mega rich clubs take a step up, but wages wise and location arsenal can still attract top players.

Out of interest, out of the 400 plus million fsg spent how many of those players are top class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Out of interest, out of the 400 plus million Liverpool spent how many of those players are top class?

Sturridge. That's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Out of interest, out of the 400 plus million fsg spent how many of those players are top class?

suarez and thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Sturridge. That's it.

Needs to do a bit more to be considered top class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sturridge. That's it.
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    suarez and thats about it

And Joe cole, the golf ball Messi. Although I think he may be gotten under to previous regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

PSG and Man United
    There was a bigger offer from PSG but he chose Arsenal. There was a late enquiry by United but it was too late.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mesut-ozil-didnt-want-move-2253244

greendom wrote: »
    PSG and Man United

Then the 50 million came in and everyone said **** that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Might revise my prediction for tomorrow.
    Was thinking - draw.
    But we always seem to do well enough against teams in the bottom half of the table :pac:

• Advertisement

????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

this is the same psg that paid 50million for David Luiz! Im sure they would have paid that and more for Ozil at the time. You're only kidding yourself

Ozil was closer to 40 than 50 million any ways

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Because PSG don't spend 50m easily...
    Cough cough David Luiz

jonny666 wrote: »
    this is the same psg that paid 50million for David Luiz! Im sure they would have paid that and more for Ozil at the time. You're only kidding yourself

Ozil was closer to 40 than 50 million any ways

Did they bid for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Did they bid for him?

All the usual (bad) sources said they did at the time.

Wenger was quoted as saying "PSG wanted Ozil but I had an advantage because I’d already had that contact. He came to my house and he decided quickly. The first contact [with Ozil] happened at my place, for discretion. He decided in 24 hours."

Who knows, but the fact that Sanchez then came... Maybe, just maybe these players did decide they want to play under Arsene Wenger at Arsenal FC.

symbolic wrote: »
    All the usual (bad) sources said they did at the time.

Wenger was quoted as saying "PSG wanted Ozil but I had an advantage because I’d already had that contact. He came to my house and he decided quickly. The first contact [with Ozil] happened at my place, for discretion. He decided in 24 hours."

Who knows, but the fact that Sanchez then came... Maybe, just maybe these players did decide they want to play under Arsene Wenger at Arsenal FC.

Maybe maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

greendom wrote: »

PSG and Man Utd dodged a bullet there.

PSG and Man Utd dodged a bullet there.

time will tell but I was responding to the point that no one else was in for him

Why is the normal response to knock liverpool. Utd spent a lot of money on a Southampton player. Are you telling me wellbeck was a big name signing.

You come on here and spend the time knocking Arsenal and their signings and then whinge at the first response that says something about Liverpool.

I wasn't knocking Liverpool. I was making the factual statement that Arsenal are now competing at the top transfer table, buying from Real Madrid, Barcelona and Man Utd. Up until two seasons ago, Arsenal were more likely to sell to them than buy from them. That has changed.

Unfortunately for Liverpool, they are not in that league at the moment. If they fail to get into the Champions League for next season, they will remain second-rate.

Maybe maybe.

Exactly.. We never really know for sure. And I suppose barca and Real are always were the players want to go, so ozil and Sanchez both coming from them ... And in recent years chelsea and man city, but again Spain seems to be the place they want to be? . Like Liverpool came so close to winning the premier league last year, but Suarez (we know this for sure) didn't want to play for Liverpool FC anymore. I dunno if transfer fees even come into that decision. He just wanted out? Of such a great team,who played great football and had a great season.

Godge wrote: »
    You come on here and spend the time knocking Arsenal and their signings and then whinge at the first response that says something about Liverpool.

I wasn't knocking Liverpool. I was making the factual statement that Arsenal are now competing at the top transfer table, buying from Real Madrid, Barcelona and Man Utd. Up until two seasons ago, Arsenal were more likely to sell to them than buy from them. That has changed.

Unfortunately for Liverpool, they are not in that league at the moment. If they fail to get into the Champions League for next season, they will remain second-rate.
    Now that's not quite correct.

Yes Arsenal are buying from the top teams but, like Liverpool, only those players that the top teams have no more use for. Ozil was out of favour, Sanchez was going to be out of favour behind Suarez and Welbeck is, well, Welbeck.

Now those players, possibly including Welbeck:D:D, may be good to excellent buys, but don't try to tell us that they were in any way wanted by the selling clubs because, if they were, neither Arsenal or Liverpool would be anywhere even near the queue.

• Advertisement

Yes Arsenal are buying from the top teams but, like Liverpool, only those players that the top teams have no more use for. Ozil was out of favour, Sanchez was going to be out of favour behind Suarez and Welbeck is, well, Welbeck.

Now those players, possibly including Welbeck:D:D, may be good to excellent buys, but don't try to tell us that they were in any way wanted by the selling clubs because, if they were, neither Arsenal or Liverpool would be anywhere even near the queue.

Has a player wanted by real or barca ever moved to the premier league? I mean a player playing for them. I'm probably forgetting a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Yes Arsenal are buying from the top teams but, like Liverpool, only those players that the top teams have no more use for.

This is a bull**** argument to be honest which I've heard too many times before. The likes of Robben and Ibrahimovic were deemed to be of no more use by Real and Barca but does that mean they aren't top players? No it doesn't.

Has a player wanted by real or barca ever moved to the premier league? I mean a player playing for them. I'm probably forgetting a few.
    None that i can think of anyway.

None that i can think of anyway.

But they have such great squads it's not a bad thing at times to be picking up some of these players. Even if they are not wanted by real or barca I spose?

Like di Maria looks fairly good at playing the ol football.

But they have such great squads it's not a bad thing at times to be picking up some of these players. Even if they are not wanted by real or barca I spose?

Like di Maria looks fairly good at playing the ol football.
    No, its not a bad thing at all, but if Real/Barca/Bayern are looking for a player then the best the rest can do is try to pick up the replaced player because they are superb players, in general.

No, its not a bad thing at all, but if Real/Barca/Bayern are looking for a player then the best the rest can do is try to pick up the replaced player because they are superb players, in general.

That's how it appears alright. I know I'd be on the first flight out of manchester/Liverpool for Barcelona/Madrid given the choice (not cities I enjoyed, personal opinion though!) . London I could manage, maybe second flight though.

Interesting then is players like Gerrard who people perceive to be loyal, due to the offers over the years. And reading Keane speak in his book about his fear of the unknown moving to Spain to sign for Real. So making excuses against moving, the kids, the family etc.

Even if that it true, and I am not saying that it is, the players that Arsenal can compete for and buy are at a higher level than Liverpool, Welbeck would never have gone to Liverpool not Sanchez or Ozil. Going back a few years, the likes of Cazorla, Mertesacker, Giroud and Podolski, a level below Sanchez wouldn't go to Liverpool either.

The best Liverpool can hope for is a good talent on his last chance - Balotelli - or a hopeful punt on a kid - Markovic, Can etc or a journeyman pro. The problem with that approach is that it can turn out badly - €7m for Coates, €10m for Borini, €7m for Iago Aspas, €7m for Charlie Adam etc.

Liverpool had one lucky break - Suarez - but that was never going to last without a supporting team around him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

So....tomorrow's game.....hard to see beyond an away win, I'll gladly settle for a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd settle for a fresh match thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Why do these threads always seem to descend into the same tired old arguments , why even start a match thread until Sunday

End of the day both teams are having crap seasons, Liverpool happen to suffering from Tottenham syndrome (selling a worldie and replacing him with ****e)

and Arsenal are Arsenal I love them but they always huff and puff and do the same every year for the meantime

Why not wait to argue till the match is on, not before hand over stupid things like who can go where and what not

• Advertisement

With Lucas infront of the centre backs (tomorrow may see three again, Toure, Sakho & Skittles) & the new attacking approach of 5/6 forwards and Gerrard starting on the bench (3rd game in 8 days) I would not at all be surprised to see the best Liverpool performance of the season and a home win :)

Augeo wrote: »
    (tomorrow may see three again, Toure, Sakho & Skittles)

i can see that back 3 being terrorised by sanchez and welbeck, but i could be wrong!

i can see that back 3 being terrorised by sanchez and welbeck, but i could be wrong!

Terrorised by Wellbeck. Liverpool haven't sunk that low yet.

This is a bull**** argument to be honest which I've heard too many times before. The likes of Robben and Ibrahimovic were deemed to be of no more use by Real and Barca but does that mean they aren't top players? No it doesn't.

Where did I say they weren't top players?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

He's no Dwight Gayle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

2-0 Arsenal Giroudx2

He has the pace, strength and stamina to run rings around those 3 all day, only thing he's short of is being able to finish but nobody said anything about him terrorising the mighty Brad Jones!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I'm predicting a tight and cagey 3-3 draw.

He has the pace, strength and stamina to run rings around those 3 all day, only thing he's short of is being able to finish but nobody said anything about him terrorising the mighty Brad Jones!

So he is a striker that can't finish. If he was still with utd you would be saying how ****e he is. He will go away and score now after this.

• Advertisement

So he is a striker that can't finish. If he was still with utd you would be saying how ****e he is. He will go away and score now after this.

I've always admired his workrate and determination and that's all he needs really to upset a poor Liverpool back 3, doesn't take a great finisher to beat big bad brad anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement